Wrestling up in age?

MCKAJC

• 3 weeks later...

The ISWA formed a committee, chaired by Joe Willmann, and thoroughly researched this issue whereby inquiries were made of the wrestling associations for the surrounding states of Illinois, Ohio, Wisconsin & Michigan.  This issue was taken seriously and a great deal of time and effort was invested by the committee.  Following is an excerpt from the Minutes of the August 9, 2009 ISWA Board of Directors Meeting and the statement of rationale of the committee?s report.

Moving Up an Age Division Committee Report

  Joe Willmann reported that they polled readers on IndianaMat.com and received responses via email from other state programs.

  Illinois has overlapping age divisions, but everyone else follows the USA age division guidelines. 

  The committee recommended that no change in age divisions be made.

Committee Report:

Based on the response received from surrounding states, it would appear, although some have differing age division requirements, none allow wrestlers to move up from the designated age division set forth by the state.

no it's not all relative.  Why because they aren't in high school yet?    Yes that is what they are working for,  but it does matter to them now and how are they to prepare for high school if they aren't getting good solid matches in with people who are going to push them.  Not everyone has the means to take there wrestler to a big tournament every other weekend.  We don't see a lot  of the better wrestlers  attending  the local tournaments any more because they are not getting pushed.  But, if they could move up an age division then maybe they would return.  We can move up a weight class, why not an age division.  Personally, I would rather my son wrestle someone 2 years older but the same weight,  rather than someone the same age but 7-14 pounds bigger.  We move up age divisions when we go to Ohio, Illinois, Michigan why not here.  These kids need room to grow on the mat without having to leave the state to do it.

If you're talking about moving up during the school season, you're out of luck. That's just the way it's always been. He's got to wait his turn. After season is another story. Just don't tell them his actual age (unless they ask for a birth cert). Who's gonna complain that they got beat by a kid that's still in jr. high (or elementary)? I can't think of any tournaments this past year (after school season) where they asked for proof of age.

no it's not all relative.  Why because they aren't in high school yet?    Yes that is what they are working for,  but it does matter to them now and how are they to prepare for high school if they aren't getting good solid matches in with people who are going to push them.  Not everyone has the means to take there wrestler to a big tournament every other weekend.   We don't see a lot  of the better wrestlers  attending  the local tournaments any more because they are not getting pushed.  But, if they could move up an age division then maybe they would return.  We can move up a weight class, why not an age division.  Personally, I would rather my son wrestle someone 2 years older but the same weight,  rather than someone the same age but 7-14 pounds bigger.  We move up age divisions when we go to Ohio, Illinois, Michigan why not here.  These kids need room to grow on the mat without having to leave the state to do it.

I suspect that the real reason that the rules are in place is to protect kids from over ***NO NO NO***ious coaches and/or parents.  Lets face it, for every kid that can handle the additional stress, there will be many more that will take a beating because dad or coach wants to toughen them up against stiffer competition.  This kind of hyper competition is in all sports and wrestling is no different.  So I suspect that the state is thinking of the kids because they don't trust others to do so.

nope, not talking about moving up during the school year.  We will gladly wait our turn there.  But, during club season, I like the idea of moving up.  Maybe limit it to only second year wrestlers ( second year novice, second year schoolboys, second year cadets ).  Just a thought

Unfortunately other commitments kept me from the annual meeting this year. I know this is a touchy subject for many, and I do understand the position of the ISWA, and their effort to be responsible to the youth wrestling community. I'd also like to thank the ISWA and the Committee for their diligence and attention to the matter.

We would be remiss if we didn?t point out that in the states of Mich. and Ohio, USA Wrestling is not the main sanctioning body and I know from attending tournaments in those states over the past 3 years that they do indeed allow kids to wrestle up in age, as well as wrestle two divisions if they desire. As for Illinois, their season begins a month before the IN. season. We've split our time between the two states. Unless we had a specific match in mind with a wrestler in our age group, we?ve wrestled up in age every weekend. And we make note of that fact on our registration form at the tournament. Again, this is not hearsay, or what someone has told me. And I would invite any skeptics to see for themselves as I have.

What might be a surprise to most is the low number of kids that wrestle up in age even when it is permitted. From our experience it's mostly been the same group of kids.  It's been without a doubt as good a development tool as we've found.

My hope has been to get this done the right way in order to provide a development opportunity that leaves no wrestler behind, and do this within the rules of the ISWA in a way that gives everyone an equal opportunity for advancement at a pace that they choose, not at one that is dictated by a governing body. Because we live so close to IL, for us, the only real problem lies in our desire to patronize our fellow clubs tournaments in support of Indiana youth wrestling. Regardless of this issue we will continue to support and represent IN youth wrestling.

Mike I was watching Jason and Cody wrestle at practice last night and I cant imagine them getting much competion at there age group they look awesome. I think theres no question that if you pay your entry fee and you weigh the same who cares about the age kids develop diffrent let em move around whatever there family thinks is best. This is all about development for bigger levels isnt it??

Good Luck this season,

Akers family

• 3 weeks later...

Mike I was watching Jason and Cody wrestle at practice last night and I cant imagine them getting much competion at there age group they look awesome. I think theres no question that if you pay your entry fee and you weigh the same who cares about the age kids develop diffrent let em move around whatever there family thinks is best. This is all about development for bigger levels isnt it??

Good Luck this season,

Akers family

Well Mike ... champions are made in the practice room.  You'll just have to pick bigger/better partners there and find the best competition from Illinois.  Also hit the open tourneys (kids open,  midwest classic,  celtic elite etc).

Good Luck this season,

Akers family

Well Mike ... champions are made in the practice room.  You'll just have to pick bigger/better partners there and find the best competition from Illinois.   Also hit the open tourneys (kids open,  midwest classic,  celtic elite etc).

Done!  We were at both the Celtic and the Midwest last year and will be there again this year. I?m not real wild about the single elimination at the Celtic though.

Although my boys would benefit from the proposed rule change, and they are without question my top priority. A new rule would give the same opportunity to all that choose to use it. Including those that don?t have the same opportunity to train in a room with a wide variety of top partners as we do at CIA NWI.

I couldn't agree more that champs are made in the practice room. CIA NWI has provided a tremendous training opportunity for us, bringing the very best wrestlers from NWI as well as a coaching dream team that runs a fantastic room. So much so that I can see taking off a weekend or two during the season. The practices are that good.

I still do not understand how they will not allow a second year midget to wrestler a first or second year novice, but ISWA sanctions, and you have to have an ISWA card for elementary duels, and you can actully have a pee wee versus a schoolboy?

Very good point.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.