congrats to Jon Fitch UFC 100!!!

wrestlinggods

I just wanted to say congrats to a great friend, workout partner, and classmate.  He was, in his words the main event, this past weekend. ha ha.  Congrats to Fitch and great job representing  the state of Indiana and Purdue with class!!!!!

COACH WEIMER

I think it was wery unfortunate, because of how the matches got suffled around , that a portion of the crowd left before seeing his fight.  I thought it was a solid victory over a very highly reguarded Paulo Thiago, giving him hisfirst lose.  Another victory and Fitch should get a another shot at the title (maybe for the Indy show!)  I think next for him will be top contenders Matt Hughes or Martin Kampmann.  He had got wins over most of the rest of the top fighters at his weight and Swick and Kosh are his teammates so no likely match ups there any time soon.  

A great night for fighters with a wrestling background winning in general.  Though some wrestlers did lose to other wrestlers in the event too.

I just wanted to say congrats to a great friend, workout partner, and classmate.  He was, in his words the main event, this past weekend. ha ha.  Congrats to Fitch and great job representing  the state of Indiana and Purdue with class!!!!!

COACH WEIMER

I agree another great win for imo a highly overlooked and underappreciated  fighter.  For whatever reason it just doesn't seem like he gets the recognition that he truly deserves.

I haven't heard for sure Coach, did Fitch say why he was shuffled to the end of the card?  Was it a time issue?

COACH WEIMER

I agree another great win for imo a highly overlooked and underappreciated  fighter.  For whatever reason it just doesn't seem like he gets the recognition that he truly deserves.

I haven't heard for sure Coach, did Fitch say why he was shuffled to the end of the card?  Was it a time issue?

Is it just me, or is he hugh for a 170#? I would like to see him and GSP again, he's one of the few that can go the distance with GSP, but he'll have to have something new to pull it off.

I would love to see a Fitch-Koscheck fight, but thats not going to happen.

I want to see Fitch fight the winner of Kampman-Swick.  If he wins that fight, he definitely gets another title shot. 

I could also see the UFC doing Fitch-Alves II

The UFC will more than likely do GSP vs Anderson Silva next.  GSP ran through Fitch and Alves, and Swick/Kampmann don't stand any better of a chance.  Especially considering Kampmann barely beat Carlos Condit.

I really don't think they will do a GSP-Silva fight yet.  GSP doesn't seem to want that fight.  He says if he fights at 185 he will need a year to build up to that.  I think GSP ends up fighting the winner of Swick-Kampman and Silva fights Hendo. 

Beating Condit isn't a small feat.  He's a Top-10 welterweight. 

The UFC will more than likely do GSP vs Anderson Silva next.  GSP ran through Fitch and Alves, and Swick/Kampmann don't stand any better of a chance.  Especially considering Kampmann barely beat Carlos Condit.

That seems the best route for both  fighters and the UFC. GSP dominates his weight class and Silva is running through his fights without breakin a sweat. The 2 of them need a challenge. Silva has already said he asks him self somtimes whether he wants to keep fighting because he has nothing to motivate him he has no real threats. He needs to be challenged.  I would love to see him and GSP throw down they are both extremely dangerous men, it would one hell of a brawl, Anderson being a little bigger and with his crazy combinations,  i would have to take him  but if anybody can de-throwne silva it would be GSP.

Well since they can set it up to no be a belt match they could always meet at a neutral weight.  Split the difference in weight classes (or something close) and then let them throw down.

As for Fitch I'd like to see him get anther shot sometime in the future.  He has shown he's at the top of that weight class dispite the first GSP lose.

I  believe that Silva is too big to cut to anything below 185.  He walks around at like 220+.

On another note...I am SO PUMPED for the Silva vs. Forrest Griffin Fight.

Also, any man that wants to step in the octagon with Brock Lesnar is crazy....DUDE IS A FREAK!!!!

I know Silva does cut a little to make 185 but I have never heard that it was a hard cut for him.  I was figuring more like he cuts to around 178-180 and they have the fight at one of those weights.  Either way GSP has a match or two left at 170 and then a warm-up match at the higher weight before a Silva match.  In the same respect they probably have one or two matches they can give Silva without having to go to a Silva vs GSP match because they both have completely ran out of other options. 

Jon Fitch eyes rematch with Georges St. Pierre, won't face teammate to get it

by John Morgan on Jul 19, 2009 at 10:40 am ET

While Thiago Alves was able to last 25 minutes in his UFC 100 title shot with Georges St. Pierre, "Pitbull" wasn't the first man to force the welterweight champ to the end of the fifth round.

That honor belongs to Jon Fitch (19-3 MMA, 10-1 UFC), and after a UFC 100 win of his own over Paulo Thiago, the American Kickboxing Academy fighter is ready to do it again.

"My eyes are set on a rematch with 'GSP' for the belt," Fitch recently told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). "I want to fight him for the belt again."

Fitch lost a unanimous decision to St. Pierre at UFC 87 in August 2008, the welterweight's only loss in 11 trips to the octagon. Two wins since the loss have placed him squarely back in title contention, but there's a slight problem ? Fitch's teammate, Mike Swick, is set to face Martin Kampmann in September for a shot at St. Pierre's belt.

Fitch said he's excited for his teammate despite the issues it creates for his own title chances.

"I had my shot and I lost," Fitch said. "That's just how it goes. That's how the business goes. You climb the top of that ladder, and if you don't win, you get put back, and you have to find your way back to the top.

"[swick] has put in nine wins in the UFC. He's put in an incredible career with the UFC, and if he beats Kampmann, I think he would deserve a shot."

And if Swick could defeat Kampmann and St. Pierre, Fitch said he wouldn't consider asking for a shot at his teammate.

"If he wins that, he'll get to sit on that belt," Fitch said. "If he keeps defending it like eight or nine times in a row, then maybe I'll move up a weight class. But there's so many good fighters at 170 (pounds).

"The welterweight weight class in the UFC is the toughest in the history of the sport. We've never had another weight class in any other organization that's had this many top-ranked [fighters]. To be in the top of that heap, that's where I want to be."

Fitch said the difficulty in preparations, along with the bond that's been built between the two, would make a bout with Swick nearly impossible.

"That team and what we've built has built me and made me what I am," Fitch said. "To disrupt that, what am I left with after that fight? You have to split up what trainer trains what guy, which teammates train with which teammates. You know that's going to leave some kind of animosity.

"There's always going to be some kind of hurt feelings with somebody along the line. So where does that leave you after the fight? Am I going to throw away the next 10 years of my fighting career for one fight? There's so many fights possible at 170 (pounds)."

Of course, there is one way he might be coaxed into the situation.

"If there's $20 million on the line, how can I say to my friend, 'I'm not going to give you the chance to make that kind of money,'" Fitch said. "That kind of money I doubt we'll ever see, but that's always something that would change minds because that's a life-changing experience. That can help your gym, your team, everybody all around."

The likelihood of a $20 million payday is currently less-than-minimal, and Fitch knows it. In the meantime, he'll continue fighting for his next chance at the impressive St. Pierre. And while there may be better matchups for him should the French Canadian somehow lose the belt, Fitch said he really wants another chance to halt "Rush."

"I'm not one that takes the easy road," Fitch said. "That's not my style."