6th Most Popular Sport?

naco228

So wrestling is the 6th most popular high school sport in the country. Dang  :(

I know football and basketball have to be the top 2, but who are the others?

And is there a way that we can make wrestling a lot more popular?

I think the biggest problem there is the the aspect of $.

Theres the NFL NBA MLB and MLS

No professional wrestling league at all. :-\

So wrestling is the 6th most popular high school sport in the country. Dang  :(

I know football and basketball have to be the top 2, but who are the others?

And is there a way that we can make wrestling a lot more popular?

I think the biggest problem there is the the aspect of $.

Theres the NFL NBA MLB and MLS

No professional wrestling league at all. :-\

Where did you see this information? I am not challenging it, I am just curious.

• 2 weeks later...

Well as I have been watching wrestling and been apart of it, one thing that I see as bad news for the sport is:

Wrestlers throwing fits after they lose.

Coaches arguing with each other and not getting along in public.

Jealous wrestlers and coaches not shaking hands, or making eye contact with their opponents, or talking bad about the sport in public.

I think this board is a great idea, but I have also seen bad publicity for the sport when things are said about how small schools don't have a chance to win, or things like that.  It just doens't look good.

Now I know there are things wrong with every sport, but wrestling could improve these things and maybe improve their attendance or respect for the sport.  I would give you a list of the things wrong with other sports as well, but wrestling was the question and this is my opinion.

^^This message contains opinions, not the right answers, so please don't take offense to these respones^^

This is a unique sport, and unique sports don't have big marketable followings. Basketball, baseball, and football were all played by, in much greater numbers, our parents, grandparents, neighbors and so on. So each of them feels like they have some 'coaching' if you will to help their child.

You can go out in a nice summer day and throw the football, or play some basketball in your neighborhood. I doubt, there are exceptions, that many kids go out and wrestle in each others drive ways for fun.

Wrestling requires certain levels of toughness and quite frankly most kids cannot hang, therefor driving participation down.

A unique sport that greatly discriminates, cannot not, no matter how much you jazz it up, (sorry RPW), compete on any level with sports that anyone can play.

This is a unique sport, and unique sports don't have big marketable followings. Basketball, baseball, and football were all played by, in much greater numbers, our parents, grandparents, neighbors and so on. So each of them feels like they have some 'coaching' if you will to help their child.

You can go out in a nice summer day and throw the football, or play some basketball in your neighborhood. I doubt, there are exceptions, that many kids go out and wrestle in each others drive ways for fun.

Wrestling requires certain levels of toughness and quite frankly most kids cannot hang, therefor driving participation down.

A unique sport that greatly discriminates, cannot not, no matter how much you jazz it up, (sorry RPW), compete on any level with sports that anyone can play.

What about that MMA then? That's a pretty unique sport and appears to be very marketable and popular. If MMA can be successful, then there's no reason wrestling can't be either. We just need to find the right buttons to push.

I wouldnt be surprised if college wrestling became more popular because of the talent that has filtered into then world of MMA. The only monster working against us is "Title IX"  :-\

otherwise now that "Real Pro Wrestling" is no more I think we'll see a lot more hard nose college wrestlers that dont follow up college enroute for olympics dream, finding themselves in MMA somewhere. (Our very own Jake O'brien, also Jake Rosholt okst., Chuck Liddel calpoly, Brock Lesnar mn, etc...)

What about that MMA then?  That's a pretty unique sport and appears to be very marketable and popular.  If MMA can be successful, then there's no reason wrestling can't be either.  We just need to find the right buttons to push.

MMA and wrestling are close yes, but to be honest what makes MMA marketable is the fact that you can watch a MMA bout and have the chance to see someone get knocked out flat. The fact that you can see someone get bloody, beaten, possibly broken, or simply knocked out cold is what makes MMA so marketable. 95% of the time you will not see this in wrestling. I love wrestling and always will, but comparing the marketability to MMA does not make sense.

What about that MMA then?  That's a pretty unique sport and appears to be very marketable and popular.  If MMA can be successful, then there's no reason wrestling can't be either.  We just need to find the right buttons to push.

MMA and wrestling are close yes, but to be honest what makes MMA marketable is the fact that you can watch a MMA bout and have the chance to see someone get knocked out flat. The fact that you can see someone get bloody, beaten, possibly broken, or simply knocked out cold is what makes MMA so marketable. 95% of the time you will not see this in wrestling. I love wrestling and always will, but comparing the marketability to MMA does not make sense.

If I read the survey correctly it is based on the number of students participating in these sports. Thus, I don''t think it is a question of making wrestling more marketable, but rather what can be done to increase participation.

In these terms the popularity of MMA may indeed introduce the sport of wrestling to more kids in turn increase the participation.

I don't know why, but everyone seems to forget about the best Mixed Martial Artist to come out of Indiana, and that's Jon Fitch who wrestled at Carroll!

Wrestling will continue to grow with MMA.  I've seen a ton of interest in wrestling, just because kids want to eventually become mixed martial artists.  Wrestling is the only one of those arts, for the most part, that is offered in high school.

You can see someone get knocked out in boxing but that sport is dying. 

If you want to make wrestling marketable, then the right people need to be in the RIGHT seats.

You have to have someone that cares about the sport on a whole basis and not just what a group of certain coaches think will help. 

You have to have people that think and care about what the kids want. 

You must see to it that we market the sport of wrestling in a positive way and not having negative things said by people in upper positions.  I feel that coaches need to get on the same page and quit arguing on a public board about what will help the sport more.  The people that are in the seats to make the decisions about classing or not classing the sport need to make the choice and thats it.  Having coaches and fans argue their way through what is right and wrong and putting down kids and the sport and small schools, just doesn't put a positive outlook on the sport.

You will never make everyone happy, but something needs to be done and keep it that way.  Once coaches and everyone get on the same page and the sport knows which direction it is going, then the marketing for the sport will pick up.

Scardy said it exactly right. MMA is marketable because you can see blood and knockouts, and violence is very marketable. Yes wrestling will grow some with MMA, but you wont see a big increase.

As far as this report of wrestling being the 6th most popular, it really isn't a fair study if its just based on participation. For example, a D1 football team has 85 schoolarships available while a D1 wrestling team has 9.9.  Or in high school you can play an enourmous amount of kids in a varsity football game say 50 or more if you wanted, while only 14 can compete in a varsity wrestling match.

Wildcat rules that report invalid!

Also the fact that wrestling is one of the toughest sports going and it really isnt for everyone. there is not a huge following from the time that many youth growing up see like they do the Lebron James and the Brett Farves...

Plus if it was easy everyone would do it ;)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.