Ohio

manvswild1

Have any of you ever lived or coached in any of the other states you want to use as comparisons?  For example, the comment that Iowa has more college wrestlers because their communities love wrestling more than basketball is silly.  If you spent time in that state you would see that they support their teams pretty equally, basketball and football are extremely popular and are well attended.

How about considering that these other states (Iowa, Illinois, Michigan, Ohio, Minnesota) do more to promote the sport from the youth level and this builds the community support and involevment that carries through to high school and college.  For example, almost every high school in Iowa offers a youth club starting in Kindergarten and the season starts when the high school guys do and the high school coaches are involved.  There is both AAU and USA bodies there and each runs a state tournament that requires the 8th grade and under to qualify for state, this is a big deal there and then at state the kids are crowned champions ON A PODIUM and receive state champion jackets that again promotes the sport.  These other states have 10 times the opportunities for youth tournaments to keep kids excited, involved and learning.  

By the way, on the class issue, Iowa's 3 class system and wrestlebacks has obviously not watered down the competition it goes along with promoting from the youth level up.  Class system is not perfect but neither is the one in place now, the difference is developing the youth no what happens on the class issue wrestlebacks would help immensely.

Indiana hasn't even figured out how to recognize high school wrestlers for their efforts decently.  Everyone wants to brag and go on about the high level of wrestling it takes to compete and advance in the current state sysem yet these guys who have busted their butts are recognized with some pathetic cheesy ribbon, give me a break!!  It's practically a slap in the face or at least a joke no wonder guys that live near the borders compete in Illinois, Michigan and Ohio as much as possible and are more than ready to leave the state for college.  

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Delphi made it to state if they work hard they proved they can be successful with the current system.

But you would say mater dei is the only small school with a chance and maybe yorktown....you must hate Delphi

Have any of you ever lived or coached in any of the other states you want to use as comparisons?  For example, the comment that Iowa has more college wrestlers because their communities love wrestling more than basketball is silly.  If you spent time in that state you would see that they support their teams pretty equally, basketball and football are extremely popular and are well attended.

How about considering that these other states (Iowa, Illinois, Michigan, Ohio, Minnesota) do more to promote the sport from the youth level and this builds the community support and involevment that carries through to high school and college.  For example, almost every high school in Iowa offers a youth club starting in Kindergarten and the season starts when the high school guys do and the high school coaches are involved.  There is both AAU and USA bodies there and each runs a state tournament that requires the 8th grade and under to qualify for state, this is a big deal there and then at state the kids are crowned champions ON A PODIUM and receive state champion jackets that again promotes the sport.  These other states have 10 times the opportunities for youth tournaments to keep kids excited, involved and learning.  

By the way, on the class issue, Iowa's 3 class system and wrestlebacks has obviously not watered down the competition it goes along with promoting from the youth level up.  Class system is not perfect but neither is the one in place now, the difference is developing the youth no what happens on the class issue wrestlebacks would help immensely.

Indiana hasn't even figured out how to recognize high school wrestlers for their efforts decently.  Everyone wants to brag and go on about the high level of wrestling it takes to compete and advance in the current state sysem yet these guys who have busted their butts are recognized with some pathetic cheesy ribbon, give me a break!!  It's practically a slap in the face or at least a joke no wonder guys that live near the borders compete in Illinois, Michigan and Ohio as much as possible and are more than ready to leave the state for college.  

I have heard that Indiana's youth wrestling opportunities and organization are actually pretty good but I don't know.

Many excellent points in the post.

How many differant Champions have we had.........and yes MD was ranked national when they won too along with Calumet this year correct?

How many differant schools made it to team state in last10 years and list the amount of times please?

your the numbers guy

10 Bellmont

10 Mishawaka

9 Evansville Mater Dei

8 Perry Meridian

7 Franklin

6 Lawrence North

5 Portage

3 Bloomington South

3 Columbia City

3 Indianapolis Cathedral

3 Merrillville

2 Avon

2 Elkhart Memorial

2 Yorktown

1 New Castle

1 Columbus North

1 Fort Wayne Snider

1 Frankfort

1 Griffith

1 Harrison (West Lafayette)

1 Southmont

1 Warren Central

1 Crown Point

1 Delphi

1 Castle

1 Roncalli

24 teams, in the past 10 years

There were four new teams this year at the state finals and I would attribute at least two of them to the new realignment of the semi-states. Both Delphi and Roncalli went through different regionals than in the past. Delphi had previously gone through Mishawaka and Roncalli had to go through Perry Meridian.

Just to follow up

24 teams

3 different small schools and 12 appearances

1.2 small schools go to team state every year

21 big schools and 68 appearances

6.8 big schools go to state every year

Its contradictory.  He said the youth programs are what they do better but then he said the community doesn't matter.  It takes a community to run a good youth program.

Where did he say community didn't matter?  I don't see it in his post.

I would imagine the numbers would be close to the same ammount of teams if we switched to a class system.  Yorktown delphi and matre dei every single year.  He said they did not like wrestling as much as basketball football he implyed it.  Truth is he states what I do he says  the community makes the program. 

I would imagine the numbers would be close to the same ammount of teams if we switched to a class system.  Yorktown delphi and matre dei every single year.  He said they did not like wrestling as much as basketball football he implyed it.  Truth is he states what I do he says  the community makes the program. 

What about Whitko or South Adams....now you don't think they have a chance they were good this year and they do things right.

Glad to see you now include Delphi in the group of schools that can compete.

Is 24% actually good for the states competition?  Did you just move matre dei and yorktown out of your division Y2?  Trying to find anyway possible to win i see.  You make me sick.  Why downgrade individuals competition unless its to make yourslef look better

Its contradictory.  He said the youth programs are what they do better but then he said the community doesn't matter.  It takes a community to run a good youth program.

Where did he say community didn't matter?  I don't see it in his post.

Is 24% actually good for the states competition?  Did you just move matre dei and yorktown out of your division Y2?  Trying to find anyway possible to win i see.  You make me sick.  Why downgrade individuals competition unless its to make yourslef look better

Well around 10% of the state's schools are represented in the final 8 in football and it hasn't hurt them.  I would say at least 25% of the schools have won a sectional title in the past 10 years.  I have yet to see football's downfall.

Quit camparing football to wrestling one is a team sport entirely the other has an individual aspect.  The individual wrestler benifits from better competition thats why we shouldn't change it.  You cut the wrestler in both classes competition down. 

Wrestling and football have both team aspects and individual aspects. Both rely on good individuals to form great teams. If either has a hole or two it could be the difference between being a sectional champion and a state champion. Both you have to work your butt off for a championship.

I see way too many parallels.

Quit camparing football to wrestling one is a team sport entirely the other has an individual aspect.  The individual wrestler benifits from better competition thats why we shouldn't change it.  You cut the wrestler in both classes competition down. 

You just don't think the individuals from Delphi or Yorktown can compete with the individuals from Mater Dei. 

I think with the right programs they compete with everyone in the state like matre dei the best team in the state year in and year out.  So do not change my words.  I don't think our system is broke and matre dei delphi and yorktown prove that.

I think with the right programs they compete with everyone in the state like matre dei the best team in the state year in and year out.  So do not change my words.  I don't think our system is broke and matre dei delphi and yorktown prove that.

You say Mater Dei would win 20 straight state titles.  You obviously have no faith in the small programs to compete with a statement like that.  I think you must hate them.

That in no way says i hate small schools.  If anything it says I respect what matre dei has done as a program and wished my own local program would work that hard.

You obviously aren't doing your part in trying to get your community involved.  That is sad.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.