Updated State Qualifier Data for the past 12 years

Y2CJ41

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at that data I prefer the 3 class system since it puts Mater Dei in class AA rather than the same class as Adams Central  :D

There are a couple things I'd like to see if a class team tourney ever happens.  One is the ability for schools to move up a class at their option.  I think football has that option.  The other is one I'd like to see applied to football classes, too.  Whenever the schools classes are realigned I think all state champions since the previous alignment shuld be moved up one class for the next alignment period.  It would only be for 2 years and may answer some of the public/private debate.

This system will not be that thoughtful.  If there are three systems every section will want to avoid matre dei.  They are always competitive but I would venture to say they will stay in there own division.  After all state titles are good for the recruitment process.  there dynasty will continue only compared to today where they have competitive battles it will be a joke at the state finals.  20 + point blowouts the whole tournement. 

This system will not be that thoughtful.  If there are three systems every section will want to avoid matre dei.  They are always competitive but I would venture to say they will stay in there own division.  After all state titles are good for the recruitment process.  there dynasty will continue only compared to today where they have competitive battles it will be a joke at the state finals.  20 + point blowouts the whole tournement. 

You are such a humanitarian for your efforts to keep Indiana classless.  I will definitely nominate you for the next Nobel Peace Prize for your efforts. 

Sheridan dominates 1A football, does that mean we shouldn't have class football?  How about Bishop Luers dominating 2A basketball, does that mean we shouldn't have class basketball?  Its a pretty far stretch to suggest that just because ONE small school is good that there shouldn't be class wrestling. 

First off these teams you mention do not win the title every year.  Secondly your same arguement could be use not to class wrestling.  Just because some schools have quality programs doesn't mean we should class it.  Matre dei wins the big devision on a consistant basis.  If you split the classes it would be a race for second.  Also if you think about it the same small schools would probably be in the finals every year.  Programs that succeed always succeed.  The last thing we need is more teams bringing 10 guys to state if were looking for parity in the sport we should start with supporting our own local wrestling programs.  If we class individual all that will happen in our state is provide a bigger gap between teams.  Some schools may bring 12 or 13 wrestlers to the state level instead of 10.  This hurts every one.  You want more parity the system we have now will eventually do thtat with community support. 

First off these teams you mention do not win the title every year. 

Sheridan has won three of the last four state championships.  They routinely beat 3A teams like its their job.

Secondly your same arguement could be use not to class wrestling.  Just because some schools have quality programs doesn't mean we should class it. 

Look at the size of the schools that are represented at state each year.  Tell me something isn't similar in all of them in the SIZE of the school.

Matre dei wins the big devision on a consistant basis.  If you split the classes it would be a race for second. 

Just like in Ohio in DI and DII and that is hurting their wrestling how?  Some DI teams have stepped to the plate and defeated St. Eds in duals this year and are knocking on the door to beating them in the state finals.  Its not hurting their wrestling that is for sure.

Also if you think about it the same small schools would probably be in the finals every year.  Programs that succeed always succeed.  The last thing we need is more teams bringing 10 guys to state if were looking for parity in the sport we should start with supporting our own local wrestling programs. 

Just like the same teams in football are always at regional and semi-state?  That surely has hurt that sport huh?  The cream will always rise to the top. 

The last thing we need is more teams bringing 10 guys to state if were looking for parity in the sport we should start with supporting our own local wrestling programs.

The last thing we need is more enthusiasm for the sport at the small school level, right?  It would be a travesty if you saw a resurgence of small school wrestling huh?  That would horrible for the health of the sport for small schools to start actually caring about the sport, huh?

If we class individual all that will happen in our state is provide a bigger gap between teams.  Some schools may bring 12 or 13 wrestlers to the state level instead of 10.  This hurts every one.  You want more parity the system we have now will eventually do thtat with community support. 

You mean the gap in which there are 75% of the state qualifiers from big schools and 25% from the small schools?  Can that gap really get any bigger?  If you are a state qualifier you are 3X more likely to be from a big school.  If you are a state qualifier there is a 60% chance you are from a school in the top 1/3 of enrollment.  That is a pretty big gap and its not getting any better.

Well all I am saying is small schools like yorktown who brought 6 or 7 to state would bring 10 or 12 at the small school level who does that resurge?  The big schools who brought ten in the current system may bring 12 at the other level.  Both sides loose competition when we class the individual state.  Football and basketball run is spurts more so then wrestling because wrestling is not established in schools like football and basketball.  I will tell you that the small schools are closing the gap because it took them a little longer to start their programs up.  Now that they are they are competitive at all levels.  Matre Dei would smoke everyone for years in a smaller division.  Its not like bad small schools would get better it just makes the top teams look better in both divisions.  Parity does not come from classing the sport it just allows to divisions to be dominated.  Imagine matre day when they had 10 staters they may have brung all 14 to small school individual state is that good for the sport?    So the system won't be fixed is what I am saying.  You have to have a better solution to have a change and the individual class system hurts everyone.

I understand why people want class wrestling.....but look at the schools that had a large number of people going to state. Those schools like MD, LN, Mishawaka, Portage, Bellmont, Yorktown,  Beech Grove, Peru, etc..... these schools all have great summer programs. When your kids are putting in time in the off season it shows when it comes around to in season. Do all the kids from smaller schools put in that effort. I am here to say NO because I wrestled at a small school and during the season they would come to practise and work hard but off season came and they did other things. There are some kids on the team that would but then you are not wrestling the best everyday. The coaches are the ones who have to get these kids into summer wrestling.

So if someone plays baseball that awesome the still can go to differant tourneys and practises during the summer. They have all kinds of wrestling camps.....and we used to practise in our basement. Nothing to organized but still the more mat time the more successful you will be if its quality invested time.  

Most kids when they are in high school might play 2 sports few play 3.........but thats up to the kid. Will the kids that play 2 sports be great at either maybe you have those kids that just are athletic but if most kids put in time at one sport will they be great much better chances. Not the person to tell someone to not play another sport.....allot of things actually help like football and baseball can help wrestler out with reaction time and differant areas.  But mat time is like nothing else. How many D I, D II , or D III kids play 2 sports not a lot.

Have you ever coached or attended a small school?  The numbers are extremely higher of multi-sport athletes at Garrett than at a school like say Lawrence North.

At Garrett alone, we had six starters that are three sport athletes.  We had six starters that are two sport athletes.

Well big deal at least there staying fit.  :'( :'( :'(  I'm sorry its so hard for you.  I mean with your regional training center you always talk about and all.  You have more at your finger tips then most schools its your own fault if you loose.

Well big deal at least there staying fit.   :'( :'( :'(  I'm sorry its so hard for you.  I mean with your regional training center you always talk about and all.  You have more at your finger tips then most schools its your own fault if you loose.

So he has done everything you suggest to build a program and yet they still are not close to winning a sectional and you still claim the system is fine and say it is his fault they "loose".  Brilliant.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.