Updated State Qualifier Data for the past 12 years

Y2CJ41

If it helps to do it on the team side, won't it help on the individual side too?

I don't really see there being much controversy with classing team tournament.  Based on the numbers, big schools start out with significantly more naturally talented individuals which gives them a distinct advantage in the team tournament.  Therefore, it would be easy to get most reasonable people behind the idea.  

On the other hand, I think that classing the individual tournament would be controversial because the unfairness isn't apparent.  So while it may be beneficial (I am not sure that it necessarily would be), it would likely be hard to get everyone (or even a majority) to support it.  

Therefore, my opinion is that classing the team tournament and leaving the individual tournament unclassed would be a simple, uncontoversial way to improve the health of small school programs.  

I'll throw it back to you - what would classing both do that can't be accomplished by classing just the team tournament?

In the survey that was posted on the website 227 said at least class some portion of the state tournament while 210 said don't change a thing.  I believe a few years ago the coaches voted at a high percentage to class the team side though.  Its still a battle even on the team side.

In my opinion classing the team side without doing the individual side does not make sense.  If I had a choice I would want both, but would not be unhappy with just the team side.  It would be like someone offering me $100,000 or $1,000,000.  Of course I'd take either, but would rather have the $1 million.

One thing that stands out in your comment is this "Based on the numbers, big schools start out with significantly more naturally talented individuals which gives them a distinct advantage in the team tournament."  To me, that shows there is a distinct advantage on the individual side also.  Just as a 1A quarterback might not have a good line or receiver to help him showcase his skills, the same goes for a good 135lber. 

No to your question:)

what would classing both do that can't be accomplished by classing just the team tournament?

More people and teams would be affected by going to a class individual state than a classed team state.  Just taking the numbers off the top of my head, I believe 119 schools were represented at state this year, but just eight were represented as being at team state.  We could possibly double the number of teams represented at the state finals with a two class system.  More than likely we could get 200-220 teams represented at state with a two class system, rather than 8 or 16 in a two class team state.  The area that would see the greatest increase are the small schools of the state.    Personally I believe the small schools are the ones that are hurting in the current system and this could help spark enthusiasm and interest in their programs sooner and for a longer period of time. 

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Y2 just fyi...Winchester has had 18 individuals qualify for the state tournament over the years.  You have listed 10...but I just wanted to update that information.

No way has Winchester had 18 state qualifiers in the last 12 years. 

Y2 just fyi...Winchester has had 18 individuals qualify for the state tournament over the years.  You have listed 10...but I just wanted to update that information.

No way has Winchester had 18 state qualifiers in the last 12 years. 

I think this is just mis-communication.  I am guessing Falcons Coach is counting all time state qualifiers and Y2 is from the last 12 years.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.