Awarding four backpoints

mickswife

I removed my first post to this because I am not thinking.  Must be the time change.  Anyway, the fourth point would only come if the opponent were in need of injury time.  This is the case to award three near fall as well if only the criteria has been reached for two points.  The other examples I gave would actually account for four points, but only three would come from near fall and the other would be a penalty point.

if im not mistaken, I do believe you can score 5 points for a near fall (3NF + 1 INJ + 1 Penalty (Grabbing face)

I saw it happen once, could a ref verify this is an accurate scoring though?

I saw a match where a wrestler was on his back and being choked out with a completely legal hold.  The official stopped the mathc calling it potentialy dangerous and only gave 3 nearfall points.  The other coaches were furious and i thoight it should have been 4 near fall points. Can anyone elaborate on this situation?

I saw a match where a wrestler was on his back and being choked out with a completely legal hold.  The official stopped the mathc calling it potentialy dangerous and only gave 3 nearfall points.  The other coaches were furious and i thoight it should have been 4 near fall points. Can anyone elaborate on this situation?

Your questions contains the answer... it was stopped due to a potentially dangerous situation not because of injury or blood time.

Your questions contains the answer... it was stopped due to a potentially dangerous situation not because of injury or blood time.

and it wouldn't have mattered if the wrestler got 4 pts anyways becuz the other one would have gotten 1 pt from the ilegal hold

correct?

if im not mistaken, I do believe you can score 5 points for a near fall (3NF + 1 INJ + 1 Penalty (Grabbing face)

I've never heard of this. That would be a 4pt nearfall and then an illegal hold for 1pt. They would add up to 5 points (haha), but it wouldn't be a 5pt nearfall.

and it wouldn't have mattered if the wrestler got 4 pts anyways becuz the other one would have gotten 1 pt from the ilegal hold

correct?

No, because the hold is not illegal... at least not in this situation.  The match was stopped due to a potentially dangerous situation, thus no penalty point would be awarded.

Another thing that you need to realize, make sure that as a coach, you dont ask about the additional point in this situation while they are looking after the kid. If you do, you can be hit for an unsportsman penalty.

Yes I know if the kid is seriously injured that nobody would do that, just make sure the wrestler is up on his feet and the ref is scoring the points before you bring it to his attention.

A few years ago at folkstyle state this situation came up. I did not know the rule, someone behind me told me about it. I asked the ref, he was someone I had known for awhile, and he pulled me aside and explaind to me why he was doing what he was, and told me about the possibility of an unsportman like. He did not assess the penalty, because he knew me, and knew I was just asking out of clarification.

This would be the "ol boy" network? Because I know you, you can break the rules and be "unsportsman" like? I always hate it when there are two sets of rules!!!!!!!

No that would be that he knows me, and I always asked him questions in a respectful manner even when I disagreed with his call. He and I have had several conversations on the rules. He has worked several of my sons matches and other matches that I was coaching kids in. He knew that I was concerned about the other wrestler, the other coach and I were friends as well. Not 2 sets of rules, one person actually taking the time to make sure that I knew the rules. had I yelled and screamed about it, then he would have hit me with the penalty point. As it was, I calmly asked him, he pulled me aside and calmly explaind the rules, and what was going to happen, and what could happen by asking about it at that time.

I call that good officiating, had he done that same with the other coach I would feel the same. However the other coach was aware of the rule I am sure. He is one of the best coaches in the state.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.