should a beginner...

lowsingle

I'd say it depends on the age.... and how long he's been practicing.

Just 'cuz he's never been to a tourney before doesn't necessarily mean he won't do well. 

If he's in 4th - 6th grade - he might get creamed by some of the youth that have been wrestling since they were peewees.  But, if he's only in kindergarten... well... I'd have to say you won't meet a whole lot of kids in that age group who will humiliate a beginner.

Just my opinion... though... I'm sure there are exceptions.

Should a beginner wrestle at state if it is his 1st or 2nd tourney ever?

If you haven't already, I would recommend taking advantage of the Beginner's tournaments (there are Beginner's tourneys in Munster, Crawfordsville, Center Grove (Indy) and Warrent Central (Indy) this weekend!).  See http://www.iswa.com/iswa_events__20082009.htm for a list of tourneys.

I agree with the others that if he is a really young wrestler, then even experienced kids aren't going to have that much of an advantage experience-wise.

If he's older, then I'd say that it depends on the outlook your son has towards the sport.  If he is able to acknowledge that he is a beginner and there are going to be some really tough matches out there.  Winning these matches may be the lofty goal, but if you set his expectations appropriately, then I think participating at the State tournament can have benefits even for a beginner:

-  Get an opportunity to gauge his level of skill against kids other than typical practice partners

-  He can go back after the tourney and watch the tape (you will video tape it, right?) and see what areas he needs to work on more.  Also, he can see the skills and moves that the more experienced wrestlers used to be successful.

-  He will get a feel for things unique to a tournament like State -- a huge venue, large crowds, some really intense matches

-  Encourage him to talk with and meet some other kids his age/weight and just spend some good time hanging out watching wrestling and being kids

Best of Luck to you and your son!

thanks for everyones input, to answer some of you questions, he is a first year intermediate.  We have entered one beginner tourney and he actually won.  I dont want to shy him away from some of the better kids by any means, but I dont want him to get turned off either. 

thanks for everyones input, to answer some of you questions, he is a first year intermediate.  We have entered one beginner tourney and he actually won.  I dont want to shy him away from some of the better kids by any means, but I dont want him to get turned off either. 

That's an excellent point. It really depends on the kid. As an intermediate he can get some kids that have been wrestling for 4-5 years.

My son is a second year novice in his second year of wrestling.

He has already had a lot of success in open tournaments.

So I will put him in state again this year.  If you think he is ready for

open tournaments than he is probably ready for state.

Sometimes a good loss is great for there development.

It really depends on the child.  I decided to throw my kids to the wolves.  I took them to a couple of practices, a couple of tournaments, and then it was off to a national tournament.  They both got beat handily, but I think it worked out fine once State rolled around.  Of course, this is not always the case.  Good luck!

My son started 3 weeks before Folkstyle state as a 1st year Intermediate 87.  He got creamed - there were 35 in his weight class.  However, we prepared him for that as a possibility since he was so new to wrestling.  We explained to him that it was a learning experience.  Two months later, he placed 3rd at Freestyle State, but there were only 10-12 kids that time.  He has made many new friends just by getting to know the other kids that wrestling in his weight class and find out their perspectives on the sport.

If you decide not to do state, I highly recommend the Tipton Beginners Tournament on Sunday.  We have been there the last two years and find it to be an excellant tournament.  We won't be there this year because we have a PeeWee and Novice that wrestles at state.

Good Luck

Not only does it depend on the child, you as his parent, and his coaches need to make sure that you prepare him for the state tourney. You have to help him set realistic goals. Not knowing your child, I have no way of saying what those goals should be. You have to make sure that he realizes that this is just another tournament. Yes it is state, and yes it is a bigger tournament then he has been in, but it is still just a tournament. You want to make sure that you let him know that your goals for him are not based on wins and losses, but that he wrestles well. That nothing besides that matters.

I would say take him to state, that way you know what he needs to work on, you will meet tons of new people and you will pick up much info as far as camps, clinics, and where other kids in your area of the state take their kids to get additional trainning. All these things make it worthwhile to go. Not to mention that the time spent there this year will greatly help him next year when both of your expectations will be greater, bith in terms of wrestling well, and how far into the tournament he might be expected to go.

Just so you know, it is not uncommon for 1st year wrestlers to go 2 and out at state that 1st year.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.