ISWA Freestyle Season - Why?

base

With the end of high school season, the freestyle season kicks off.  I have nothing against the freestyle season.  Freestyle/Greco, however, only seems to be used at the international level.

Why not focus all that time on folkstyle wrestling skills, which are being used in High School and at the college level?

Freestyle wrestling has a lot of the same components that are used in folkstyle wrestling.  The scoring is different, as well as many of the rules, but it will help you become a better wrestler, especially on your feet.  I am a big proponent of folkstyle wrestling, but I do see some advantages, other than international and olympic, to wrestling some freestyle.

When I was a competitor and now as a coach, I have always embraced the change in styles.  After 4 long months of folkstyle training, changing styles has always refreshed my spirits.  Freestyle and Greco are more layed back and fun.  Learning how to score points in different ways was very interesting to me.

Also, virtually everything you learn in Freestyle and Greco makes you a better Folkstyle wrestler.  Whether it's the tilts in Freestyle, the tie-ups in Greco, or the throws and back awareness in both styles, everything helps improve your Folkstyle wrestling. 

There's no coincidence about how many of the high school state champions this past weekend have gone out to Fargo to compete at the national level.  The opportunities to compete on a larger stage in Freestyle and Greco are much greater than in Folkstyle.  During the finals, I had counted 13 wrestlers that I have personally been involved in coaching at a Freestyle or Greco national tournament.  Many of the other finalists have also participated in these tournaments as well.  Once someone has competed at Fargo against the nation's best wrestlers in a football stadium with 23 mats down on the floor, Conseco isn't nearly as intimidating!

Ive been involved in wrestling with my son in the ISWA for 9 years....Indiana was considered a "FRESTYLE STATE" when we first started. Freestyle state tournament was just huge with numbers...now they can hold all divisions on 1 weekend now.  Folkstyle has out grown freestyle in Indiana in the last 6 years or so. if i recall Indiana has had the ISWA Folkstyle State for only about 10 or 12 years now. If im wrong can someone please correct me. I remember we had to go to Ilinois for folkstyle when we first started.  Now that folkstyle has such a long season when its time for freestyle (which i love) its getting nice outside kids want to play baseball...instead of wrestle. I do beleive kids who wrestle freestyle are better folkstyle wrestlers because of freestyle.

Although I cannot speak to wrestling folk-style year round -- 

Competing in freestyle definitely helps refine wrestling on the feet and emphasizes transitions from takedowns to nearfall which can only help with Folkstyle

I also agree it helps keep wrestling fresh and fun -- anyone watching Reese Humphreys in recent matches would have to see how freestyle can still equate to NCAA

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.