the views of someone returning to Indiana

Spladdelbait

Great board you have here.

I have been out of state for the past few years and have had the chance to see high school wrestling in some of it's "hotbeds" across the nation.  I have to say I am very impressed with the quality of wrestling in the Hoosier state.

I guess I am partial since I grew up here but what I saw at Conseco last weekend was just a good as anything I have seen in other places.  I had the advantage of not knowing all the wrestlers so I got to see them with fresh eyes and without all the prejudices.  All I can say is WOW!  These kids are really talented and I'm sure they can hold their own against other states just fine.

The last State Finals I saw in Indiana was at Market Square Arena and I can't believe how the quality of the sport has improved here. 

States I have seen the State Finals in over the last few decades:

IN, OH, KY, IL, MI, PA, MO, IA, NE, OK, AZ, ID, and CA

From what I can tell Indiana is producing just as talented wrestlers!

Great Job All

Let me ask the same question but differently.  How does the atmosphere of our State Finals compare to the classed States you attended?  Also more specifically, how does our atmosphere compare to California's?  California being single classed like us, I'd like to see your opinion on how we compare.

Let me ask the same question but differently.  How does the atmosphere of our State Finals compare to the classed States you attended?  Also more specifically, how does our atmosphere compare to California's?  California being single classed like us, I'd like to see your opinion on how we compare.

thats a good question

id like to see the answer to that

does anybody know of a site like this or the IHSAA but for the state of California?? I would love to check out there State Championships since i'm out here for a few years... hopefully they haven't passed already

CIF State Wrestling Championships

The 2009 CIF State Wrestling Championships Presented by Farmers will take place Friday-Saturday, March 6-7, 2009, at Rabobank Arena in Bakersfield.

Complete entry brackets for all 14 weight classes will be posted here Sunday, March 1, 2009, not later than 5pm.

Consult the handbook below for specifics about the event, including ticket information.

http://www.cifstate.org/

does anybody know of a site like this or the IHSAA but for the state of California?? I would love to check out there State Championships since i'm out here for a few years... hopefully they haven't passed already

CIF State Wrestling Championships

The 2009 CIF State Wrestling Championships Presented by Farmers will take place Friday-Saturday, March 6-7, 2009, at Rabobank Arena in Bakersfield.

Complete entry brackets for all 14 weight classes will be posted here Sunday, March 1, 2009, not later than 5pm.

hey thanks a lot i also came across this site and i'm hoping i can make the state finals i'm about 4 hours from Bakersfield so hopefully i can make the trip.

Consult the handbook below for specifics about the event, including ticket information.

http://www.cifstate.org/

States I have seen the State Finals in over the last few decades:

IN, OH, KY, IL, MI, PA, MO, IA, NE, OK, AZ, ID, and CA

Wow, you have gotten around!

I have been very lucky.  Having the chance to see the talent in each of these places has helped me grasp why the sport of wrestling has endured in ever society. 

thats a good question

I will do my best to answer this.  You need to keep in mind that CIF handles things completely differently than most anywhere in the country. 

If you look at Section 4.3 of the handbook linked to this thread, you will notice immediately that they don't break down their state into a Sectional, Regional, Semi State and State format.  Read that brief rule and then answer this one question:  Is the current format in Indiana that bad?  If you say yes, move to California, get a coaching a job, and come talk to us in a few years.  Indiana's system is actually very friendly to all the teams and individuals.

As for the atmosphere in Bakersfield.  Well it is CRAZY.  10 Mats running match after match.  Honestly it is a bit of sensory overload. 

I have to add here, I am not a huge fan of Class Wrestling.  It has it's pluses in some situations but also has it's drawbacks.  I have read over the endless arguments here and I am not really in favor of Indiana moving that way. 

I will do my best to answer this.  You need to keep in mind that CIF handles things completely differently than most anywhere in the country.   

If you look at Section 4.3 of the handbook linked to this thread, you will notice immediately that they don't break down their state into a Sectional, Regional, Semi State and State format.  Read that brief rule and then answer this one question:  Is the current format in Indiana that bad?  If you say yes, move to California, get a coaching a job, and come talk to us in a few years.   Indiana's system is actually very friendly to all the teams and individuals.

As for the atmosphere in Bakersfield.  Well it is CRAZY.   10 Mats running match after match.  Honestly it is a bit of sensory overload. 

I have to add here, I am not a huge fan of Class Wrestling.  It has it's pluses in some situations but also has it's drawbacks.  I have read over the endless arguments here and I am not really in favor of Indiana moving that way.  

Wahoo numero uno

thats a good question

If you look at Section 4.3 of the handbook linked to this thread, you will notice immediately that they don't break down their state into a Sectional, Regional, Semi State and State format.  Read that brief rule and then answer this one question:  Is the current format in Indiana that bad?  If you say yes, move to California, get a coaching a job, and come talk to us in a few years.   Indiana's system is actually very friendly to all the teams and individuals.

As for the atmosphere in Bakersfield.  Well it is CRAZY.   10 Mats running match after match.  Honestly it is a bit of sensory overload. 

I have to agree about California being a different situation.  It's really not comparing apples to apples.   I was never able to figure out how they thought their system was fair.  But then they are dealing with a population that is time and time again the size of Indiana.  When I was in Victorville I was amazed at what was the most confusing gauntlet a they have to run to even GET to their State Finals.  

Hey let me know about the NCAA's!  I hope to see you there!

According to Section 4.3, state entries are alloted differently for each section.

Southern - 9

Central Coast - 4

Los Angeles - 1

Central - 7

San Diego - 3

Oakland - 1

Sac-Joaquin - 7

Northern - 3

San Francisco - 1

North Coast - 4

Are they allotted differently because of the size of each section?  or is it determined similar to NCAA's from previous years, the better your section does the more spots it accrues?

For me, I'd much rather have our system because you could have the best 4 wrestlers in a sectional and still move on.  In California, you could be the #2 wrestler in the state but be stuck behind #1 in the Los Angeles section.

Exactly

Keep in mind that each of these districts are broken down further in to sub districts that all feed into those final allotments.

It's been a few years since I was in California, but the non-city specific districts covered a huge area and often were the home to cities far larger than the larger population cities in Indiana.  Think about it like this:

You have to be one of the top 9 in your weight class in an area larger than Indiana just to qualify for the state tourney.

As for the poster that was complaining about the "gym" I suggest you take a look at the document linked to this thread and you will see this "gym".  It's actually a great facility given the insane number of competitors it allows.

Like I said, it's just my opinion, but I think when you look at the differences in population I would put the quality of Indiana wrestling right there with California wrestling!

Spladdlebait, i coached in that gym several times, it was a zoo. You stood in a tunnel for twenty minutes next to your wrestler and his opponent and coach until you were able to take the mat. It was like being in jail, no warming up, no moving. When the match was over you didn't go to a locker room or the stands, you walked straight outside because that was the only place you didn't feel like harming people. Did I mention no concessions! It was fine for spectators, not a pleasant experience for coaches and wrestlers.

I almost forgot the worst part of CA wrestling. They call a Peterson a "granby roll" It just makes you want to throw something. All kidding aside the biggest difference between IN wrestling and CA wrestling is on the mat. When I coached out there, I would have said IN was just as good in the neutral postion, with a few exceptions (Abas), but they were far and away superior on top and bottom. This is where I would like to see IN improve.

Bluebolt, when were you in Victorville, I was an assistant there in 96 when Jim Shields and Buroughs were coaching. I also helped out a Silverado a couple of years later.

I was there in 1990 - 92, when the Air Force would let me without sending me to Saudi! 

Home of the Jackrabbits! 

Small World Ain't It!

Very small world. Did you ever workout with the Jackrabbits. Henderson would have been the coach then. I wrestled for him at Victorvalley college. He was one emotionless piece of work, but he really liked me. If you ever met him let me know. I have some great stories.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.