What atributes make a great wrestler.

SlickRodz

"There are two things in their lives they can control - their attitude and effort." ~Kelvin Sampson

Put that in your Signature and smoke it!  :D

Although true, I wouldn't want to go around quoting Kelvin Sampson, especially in this state.

That was to easy of a target, you might as well of phoned that one in.

Here is something that it seems NO ONE ever brings up when talking about "Building Great Wrestlers"...

Coaching Youth Wrestling.

Encourage your son to pass on his skill set to the next generation of wrestlers.  This will provide so many things to his over all development.  He will learn so much about his own wrestling style, AND sharpen techniques, by teaching youth wrestlers.

Yes all the posts really make a GOOD wrestler, but I remember the quote from a prof I had a class with in the early 70's "The mental is to the physical as is four is to one" Robert Montgomery Knight. To this day the elite, high school, college, and olympic wrestlers have the mental to go to the top.

I wrestled many years ago back when you could not wear boxers with your singlet or they would hang out.  And you never wrestled without a jock or they would, oh never mind.

Looking back at my skills and then looking at my sons', I see real differences.

First is desire.  Wrestling is one of the physically and mentally hardest things these kids will do until parenthood.  If the fire ain't there nothing else will matter.

Second is feel.  The really good wrestlers feel what their opponent's are doing and react.  The really GREAT wresters seem to feel what their opponent's are THINKING and PRO-ACT.

Third is great technique.  Learn three moves so well that your opponent can be looking for them and it will not matter before moving to another instead of eight or nine that you only do so-so.

Fourth is God given ability.  It is important but nothing that cannot be overcome.  Learn to wrestle a style that matches your physique.

Desire is something a parent can only help a little.  They either have it or thy don't.  There are a few things a parent can do, but from my experience in other areas, they are only marginally effective.

Physical ability is another area where there is limited things that can be done to improve.  You can build muscle, work on speed drills, etc but there are still limits no mater what gifts you have.

In my opinion it is technique and feel where your son has the most control.

I helped coach a club for a couple of years and the hardest thing to do was to get young wrestlers to work on a move until it became so natural that they did not have to think about it.  Even at the high school level you can see ethe kids who are thinking through theeir moves step by steep.  Wrestling is a lot like riding a bike.  It takes enough practice to become comfortable managing balance, a series of movements, being observant enough to things around you, and finally developing the confidence that you no longer even think about riding while you are doing it, you just feel it.

And the best way to get that feel is to wrestle.  MAT TIME as I heard it put.  My oldest graduated several years ago and had a very good career but never made it to State.  He wrestled High School nearly exclusively.  He may have had 15-20 matches in the off season.  My middle son started wrestling off season in 8th grade.  From March 2006 until now he has close to 300 matches at all levels.  My youngest started wrestling in 4th grade and has close to 150 matches in two years.

Wrestle every chance you can.  Wrestle the best tournaments you can.  Wrestle the best opponents you can, but just wrestle.

This will help you overcome a lot of inadequacies in other areas.

Here is something that it seems NO ONE ever brings up when talking about "Building Great Wrestlers"...

Coaching Youth Wrestling.

Encourage your son to pass on his skill set to the next generation of wrestlers.   This will provide so many things to his over all development.   He will learn so much about his own wrestling style, AND sharpen techniques, by teaching youth wrestlers.

Teaching is the best way to learn something.

I practically beg my high schoolers to help with the elementary kids... not because I need the help, but because it will help the high schoolers.

5 things that make you the greatest wrestler ever

1. coach needs to be dieing of somekind of terminal illness

2. best friend died some tragic wrestling accident

3. Must come from a broken home

4. Must risk your lively hood every time you wrestle (eg john trenge story)

5. school wrestling program being shut down/ or this is last year of elligablity

Flexibility is huge, but there is a wierd thing called "hips" that wrestlers need.  Some wrestlers just have them, others do not.  Some aspects of "hips" can be taught and learned through experience, but much of it seems to be natural,.

I would way "hips" are probably the most important physical part of wrestling.

You are correct, of course . . . and Elvis would have really kicked butt.

Yeah I could really see him banging that right hip bone into someone's eye three or for times in row when they would shoot on him.

Yes we all know about Elvis the pelvis but don't forget about his brother Enis...

if elvis had a pelvis what did enis have??? ;)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.