Alternates for Semi State?

old82

From what i understand it's like the altrernate for state.  The wrestler who loses in the first round to the weight class champion is the alternate for semi-state.

So a 4 seed would go to SS before possibly a 1, 2 or 3?

Since we are now taking 4 to Semi- State next week, my question is- How are the alternates chosen?  Last year it was easy, we called the team with the 4th place finisher.  Every year we have injuries or other reasons for wrestlers not making it to SS and having a forfeit is not the way to go.  Just wondering???

If we take the kid that loses to the champion, that's really unfair.  In most cases, the champion will be the one seed.  Therefore, a #4 seed will be the alternate.

If the #2s win and the #4-seed gets in because he's an alternate, then a #3 seed watches as a kid he beat in the sectional goes to semi-state.

I know it's rare that alternates even go to SS, but still...

If we take the kid that loses to the champion, that's really unfair.  In most cases, the champion will be the one seed.  Therefore, a #4 seed will be the alternate.

If the #2s win and the #4-seed gets in because he's an alternate, then a #3 seed watches as a kid he beat in the sectional goes to semi-state.

I know it's rare that alternates even go to SS, but still...

That's another reason we need wrestle backs at regional.

Bobby Cox confirmed that the last person beat by the champion that is not moving on is SS alternate, meaning who ever eventual champ beats in first round.

How would wrestlebacks affect the alternate?

Wrestlebacks would only help if we wrestled for 5th place.

One of the reasons letting the last guy beaten by the champ fill in as alternate works at SS is because there are 16 at SS.  To be the LAST guy beaten by the champ (non state qualifier, of course), you have to do more than just show up.  I am not as much concerned with a 4 seed making it as I am about the fact that someone may end up as a Regional alternate, lose to the champ in round one, then have the potential to be a semi-state qualifier.  Unlikely, absolutely; but a bitter pill to swallow for someone on the wrong end.

Situation:

Let's say Casey Kenney wins on Saturday.

My 119 lber. would be the Semi-state alternate.

Brian Terhaar of Winchester beat my kid TWICE last weekend, both in convincing fashion.

Is it fair for Brian to watch as a kid he beat twice wrestle at Semi-state if some0ne in the top 4 drops out?

I don't think we need full wrestle backs at Regionals.  It makes for a  more intense first round.  Also these boys already wrestle 50 times a year that is alot of wear and tear.

As of now I like the 4th placers going to semi state.  I may change my mind after the next two weeks.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.