Poorly Run Sectionals, What can be done.........

SlickRodz

We are part of the Northview Sectional.

>:(The gym is terrible, spectators can only see the far mat as the close mat(s) is/are obscured by the floor and rail.

>:(The gym is so small they claim only 3 mats will fit....I'm no math-major, rectangular gym if 3 fit so will four!

>:(They charge $5 for admittance...I can live with that but, they charge, trainers, managers, JV wrestlers and newspaper photographers! (and would not let the photographer on the floor).

>:(No handicap access, told a grandfather, "you don;t have to stay, theres the door"!

Most schools try to improve wrestling in Indiana. The staff and in particular the AD at Northview would just assume wrestling not be a sport, and will tell you as much. Yet they host the Sectional.....what does it take to move it?

(No handicap access, told a grandfather, "you don;t have to stay, theres the door"!

You could try talking to the IHSAA, if you enjoy wasting your time.  But the absolute quickest (and maybe the only) way to get something done is to have grandpa call a lawyer!  Title 24 of the building code requires that he have EQUAL ACCESS to ALL facilities, that will get action real quick!

OK, one for them, (we don't charge "official" team members or people who volunteer their time (trainers, managers) for entry, guess we break the rules). Still if they don't want to host, why do they. They were rude, poorly organized and there answer to everything was to show you the door.

I have been a volunteer for a regional event for the past 6 years and no way we have the problems or the attitude of Northview. Every coach there agreed this needs to change.

I could not agree more that this is an awful situation. The main problem, in my opinion, is the RUDE, hostile  AD. @ Northview.  Every year I hear so many complaints about him, yet nothing ever happens. Every year this same topic comes up. What CAN be done?

You should try Calumet, it is terrible too. No flip cards to tell you the score at two of the three tables. No clocks unless you are on the correct side of the match. They constently remind people not to be in the stairways but, if you don't keep moving around the gym how do you know the score and time of the match. Also, they are NEVER close to starting on time. 9 am and 10:30 am sure sound like different times to me. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO how about a move??? And just think we get two weeks of this B.S. before going to Merrillville. Lastly, where were their brackets? I realize there are changes on Saturday morning but nothing at all posted on this website for the fans. Poor place, poorly run, and poor parking.

OK, one for them, (we don't charge "official" team members or people who volunteer their time (trainers, managers) for entry, guess we break the rules).

I have been a volunteer for a regional event for the past 6 years and no way we have the problems or the attitude of Northview. Every coach there agreed this needs to change.

Do I got your word that I won't have to pay for official team members and coaches?

Admittance to Sectional is an issue we (several of the Jay County Sectional Coaches, not all but several) discuss every year as we enter the door.  I can understand that a host school needs to ensure they maximize profits at the door.  An event like Sectional takes alot of time and funds to run things smoothly.  Our team received an envelope with 19 tickets in it.  That is not enough by my numbers....

First of all, you have 14 Wrestlers    = 14 Tickets

Next you should get 14 Alternates    = 14 Tickets  (Many teams may not have a back up for each wrestler)

I would settle for only 2 Coaches        = 02 Tickets (Many teams have more than 2 Coaches)

I would settle for only 1 Scorekeeper  = 01 Ticket  (Many teams have at least 2)

And finally a Bus Driver................ = 01 Ticket

Total Tickets that should be issued to each team = 32! AT THE LEAST, regardless of your team size.

If you have fewer alternates.....then the teams extra coaches and managers could use the tickets.....of course, the host school would be out $585.00 (for a 9 team Sectional) if they issued 32 tickets to each team.....I guess those ribbons they give to the Champions are getting expensive!

FROM THE WINTER BULLETIN: (They say you only get 19 Tickets)

IV ADMISSIONS

Actual competing contestants, student manager, coach, assistant coach, athletic

director and principal shall be admitted free. Alternates who do not participate must

pay admission.

.......Who's to say your Alternate will know if he/ she is going to wrestle when they get to the ticket taker at the door.

.......I would think any Athletic Director or Principal who only shows up to wrestling events when Sectional starts should not be allowed in.......... for free that is......(Our administration by the way always show up to just about every wrestling event, they even reimburse wrestlers who have to pay to get in!)

.......Does the host school JV team (Alternates) have to buy a ticket, Probably not.

I just think the IHSAA needs to take a look at this issue.  Oh and one more thing.......Host Schools should not be allowed to have a Home Basketball game the night of Sectional or Regional and try a rush through an important event such as Sectional for a regular season Basketball game!

OK, one for them, (we don't charge "official" team members or people who volunteer their time (trainers, managers) for entry, guess we break the rules).

Do I got your word that I won't have to pay for official team members and coaches?

Not official to make a promise, but if you take the time to explain who you are.....you are very likely to be placed on the "Volenteer List" , as team members (JV) are.

On the opposite side, kudos to Dave Fleming and the Warren Central staff for providing a great day of wrestling at the Warren Sectional site.  Warren stepped in to volunteer their facilities and crew at the last minute when the IHSAA was notified that the original host site declined, and WC did a wonderful job!

Attaboy Dave!! 

IV ADMISSIONS

Actual competing contestants, student manager, coach, assistant coach, athletic

director and principal shall be admitted free. Alternates who do not participate must

pay admission.

At Northview our "Wrestleretts" (managers  / scorekeepers who worked) Our trainer, and the journalist from the local paper had to pay.....and were not allowed on the floor. The trainer would grab a coaches pass from the assistant coach to get mat-side for blood etc. ...

I just think the IHSAA needs to take a look at this issue.  Oh and one more thing.......Host Schools should not be allowed to have a Home Basketball game the night of Sectional or Regional and try a rush through an important event such as Sectional for a regular season Basketball game!

You mean a school that has hosted a sectional for umpteen many years still has a basketball game scheduled that night?  You would think they could find another Saturday night to have a game.

You mean a school that has hosted a sectional for umpteen many years still has a basketball game scheduled that night?  You would think they could find another Saturday night to have a game.

Did I say that out loud! lol

I'm not so sure TripleB would want to be on the "volunteer list" as he has to coach eight kids on saturday.  I, on the other hand would like to avoid that entrance fee.  Where do I sign?

I get your gest....but why should a person who volunteers to give up a Saturday (all of it) have to pay to help with the post season. It is also way more than money. The Northview AD is a jerk, rude angry man. He hates wrestling! Does not want the head ache.....So give it up...3 other schools in our Sectional will take it!

My brother-in-law is essentially wheelchair-bound. We used the elevator by the NE door to get upstairs with no problem. The nice ladies at the door were very helpful in directing us to the elevator.

My brother-in-law is essentially wheelchair-bound. We used the elevator by the NE door to get upstairs with no problem. The nice ladies at the door were very helpful in directing us to the elevator.

Once up the elevator where did he sit. The grandfather I am referencing was using double walking supports, the ones that clamp to your forearms. He had very little height to his step. We ask for a handicap area where he could use a lawn-chair....nope....could he sit in the gym....nope. BTW we carried him up the stairs (were not told of the elevator) and once there carried him to a bleacher seat since he could not lift to the bleacher steps. HE was virtually glued to his seat since he did not have the mobility to move on his own.

On the opposite side, kudos to Dave Fleming and the Warren Central staff for providing a great day of wrestling at the Warren Sectional site.  Warren stepped in to volunteer their facilities and crew at the last minute when the IHSAA was notified that the original host site declined, and WC did a wonderful job!

Attaboy Dave!! 

I've covered several meets run by Dave and his crew, and every one goes off without a hitch.

Things were also very well run at the LC Sectional last Saturday, too.

There are a lot of bad things I could say about the sectional being held at Northview High School.  A lot has already been said, including the lack of enough floorspace for a third mat in the middle of the gym and the fact that the finals ended at 7:15.  There are many other alternative  locations that have a balcony.  Also, the AD at Northview is extremely rude (and obviously has never heard of spell check!  Read the bracket handout).  A lot of people involved with sectional agree it should be moved.

Here is a list that I know of that would be good locations for the sectional:

Bloomington North

Bloomington South

Terre Haute North

Terre Haute South

A new TD would be awesome as well.

What are others opinions?

EDIT:  The 30 minute break in the beginning was because there is mandatory 45 minutes between wrestlers matches.  This break, along with running all matches on one mat, helped to achieve that 45 minute break.

Dave Flemming is the best TD I've been around.  It doesn't surprise me that he ran a great tournament.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.