Calumet Regional

ontherise219

Here are my picks for the Calumet Regional it seems like a down year this regional. It usually produces multiple champs and place winners

East Chicago Central, Hammond, Bishop Noll, Clark, Gavit, Morton, Highland, Lake Central, Munster, Whiting, Calumet, Gary Wallace, West Side, Wirt Griffith, Lake Station, Merrillville, Hobart

103 1. Ayersman LC  2. Stevens Mer 3. Medina Mun 4. Orechwicz Grif

112 1. Padilla Mer 2. Smith LC 3.Cecil Mun 4. Rodriguez High

119 1. Costakis Merr 2. Escobedo LC 3. Smith Mun 4. Smeltzer Cal

125 1. Napules Mer 2. Camacho Hob 3. Gonzalez Grif

130 1. Porras Hob 2. Clark Cal 3. Valdivia Merr 4.

135 1. Dillon Hob 2 Deluna Merr 3. Slosser Mun 4. Britton CLK

140 1. Surma Mun 2.Richmond Merr 3. Rodriguez ECC 4. Hammons LS

145 1. Almaraz High 2. Jones Merr 3. Hammons LSE 4.

152 1. Estrada Mun 2. France Hob 3. West Side 4. Hammons

160 1. Keough LC 2. Tyler High 3. Jordan Merr

171 1. Berry Merr 2. Bartley Griff 3. Geuterez Mun 4.

189 1. Lott ECC  2. Fowler Cal 3. Wengel Mer

215 1. Vlade LC 2. Nunez High 3.Woods Gary WS 4. Cherry Cal

Hwt 1. Travis Merr 2.Anderson High 3. EC. Willis LW

Still a work in Progress

You don't think Camacho from Hobart will be in the finals against Napules.

I would give the nod to Gonzo as well, I am assuming he is coming down and just wrestled 130 for the County tourney.  You also have Wartman of LC, who should have beat Camacho at the County, but the ref missed what I thought were definitely some near fall points.  Camacho won 4-3.

ontherise219,

I have to disagree, I think we can have some multiple champs coming from this regional, and definitely some high placers.  I agree that they are not the clear cut favorite at their respective weights, but they are right up there.

You don't think Camacho from Hobart will be in the finals against Napules.

I would give the nod to Gonzo as well, I am assuming he is coming down and just wrestled 130 for the County tourney.  You also have Wartman of LC, who should have beat Camacho at the County, but the ref missed what I thought were definitely some near fall points.  Camacho won 4-3.

ontherise219,

I have to disagree, I think we can have some multiple champs coming from this regional, and definitely some high placers.  I agree that they are not the clear cut favorite at their respective weights, but they are right up there.

With out a doubt but over the last 10-15 we have put so many kids in the finals along with a lot of Depth in so many weight classes it is down from what it usually is . Dillon, Porras, Ayersman, Napules. Should be high medalist or even all finalist.  We have had a champ out of this regional every year since 2001 then even before that we had a bunch T. Stone, Spenser, Vince and Billy, Billy again David before that. It goes on and on. I don't think we are becoming Logansport. ;)

With out a doubt but over the last 10-15 we have put so many kids in the finals along with a lot of Depth in so many weight classes it is down from what it usually is . Dillon, Porras, Ayersman, Napules. Should be high medalist or even all finalist.  We have had a champ out of this regional every year since 2001 then even before that we had a bunch T. Stone, Spenser, Vince and Billy, Billy again David before that. It goes on and on. I don't think we are becoming Logansport. ;)

Add in Surma, Almarez, and Estrada and u got 6 or 7 kids that have a legit chance to be in the finals this year or even win....Im not saying all of them or even any are going to be state champs this year, but if they were, i would not be suprised...Im picking Dillon over Roach, Porras over Harp, and Surma over Mandefur...

• 2 weeks later...

Add in Surma, Almarez, and Estrada and u got 6 or 7 kids that have a legit chance to be in the finals this year or even win....Im not saying all of them or even any are going to be state champs this year, but if they were, i would not be suprised...Im picking Dillon over Roach, Porras over Harp, and Surma over Mandefur...

Surma over Sandefer. I wouldn't go that far But Surma is having a great year so far

And you'd have to go back to 1990 to find the last time that this regional did not put somebody into the state championship match which was before much of this year's seniors were even born! My favorite regional by far!! Looking forward to another year watching the regional that is on Ridge Road!

xcard thats the most ridiculous statement ive ever heard.  Try camacho already put a beat down on gonzo. It wasnt close nor will it ever be. He had no answer for his legs.

Who knows what weight Gonzo will be at anyway He wrestled 119, 125 and 130. He didn't pick Gonzo over Napules. Gonzo and Camacho have wrestled close before

predictions of guys who will make it out (no order)

103: Ayersman (LC), Medina(munster), Stevens (Mville), Orzechowiz (griffith)

112: Cecil (munster), Smith (LC), Rodriguez (Highland), Padilla (Mville)

119: Costakis (mville), Smith (Munster), Escobedo (LC), Smeltzer (Calumet)

125: Napules (Mville), Camacho (Hobart), Wartman (lc) Gonzalez (Griffith)

130: Porras (hobart), Clark (Calumet), Valdivia (Mville), Boelt (Munster)

135: Dillon (hobart), Slosser (munster), Britton (Clark), Deluna (mville)

140: Surma (munster), Richmond (mville), hammons "grim reaper" (lake station), Rodriguez (EC)

145: Almaraz (Highland), hammons "pitbull" (lake station),Jones (mville),  Beck (griffith)

152: Estrada (munster), France (Hobart) nzeata (Mville), hammons (lake station)

160: Tyler (highland), Keough (LC), Jordan (Mville) ?

171: Berry (Mville), Gutierrez (Munster), Bartlett (Griffith) ?

189: Lott (EC), Fowler (Calumet), Wengel (Mville), ?

215: Woods (West Side), Nacovski (LC), Nunez (Highland), Cherry (Calumet)

285: Anderson (Highland), Travis (Mville), EC kid, ?, Kerrick (Munster)

Rundown of teams and SSQ's

Merrillville: 13

Munster: 9

Lake Central: 6

Highland: 4

Hobart: 4

Griffith: 4

Calumet: 4

Lake Station: 3

Merrillville Semi State Ranked Wrestlers

#1 Kyle Ayersman Lake Central 32-0

#2 Zach Stevens Merrillville 27-2

#3 Aurelio Medina Munster 33-1

6. Danny Rodriguez Highland So. SSQ NCC Champ 24-5

7. Bryan Smith Lake Central Jr. SSQ LC Champ 30-6

3. Anthony Napules Merrillville Jr 4th@119 28-3

6. Sam Camacho Hobart Jr. SSQ NCC Champ 23-6

1.  Frankie Porras Hobart Jr 2nd@125, SQ@07 LC Champ NCC Champ 25-1

5. Mike Clark Calumet Jr SSQ, GSSC Champ ??-5

6. Frankie Valdivia Merrillville Jr SSQ 22-7

2. John Dillon Hobart Sr 5th@140(Al Smith Champ), LC Champ, NCC Champ 24-0

2. Alex Surma Munster Jr SSQ 31-0 LC Champ, NCC Champ 34-0

4. Darius Richmond Merrillville Sr SSQ, DAC Champ 23-4

2. Chris Almarez Highland Sr SQ@135 29-0 LC Champ. NCC Champ

5.  Keon Jones Merrillville Sr SSQ DAC Champ 24-5

2. Aaron Estrada Munster Sr 7th@152, SQ 119 06, 135 07 14-0

7. Jack France Hobart Sr. SSQ

5. Rob Keough Lake Central Sr

6. John Tyler Highland Sr SSQ  30-7

5. Kourtney Berry Merrillville Fr DAC Champ 19-5

6. Chris Bartley Griffith Sr. NCC Champ 23-2

4. Wille Lott E.C Central SSQ in 07 LC Champ ??-1

7. Nathan Fowler Calumet Jr. GSSC Champ

7. Vlade Nacovski Lake Central Sr 28-3

Hwt

2. James Travis Merrillville Jr SSQ(Al Smith Champ), DAC Champ 28-0

3. Cody Anderson Highland Sr SSQ 23-0 LC Champ, NCC Champ

One of the toughest Regionals in the State voted on in another post. Good Luck to all

That Guy,

Maybe the part of Gonzalez beating Camacho was ridiculous to you.  I have not seen the two wrestle each other.  I was just stating my opinion on the matter based on what I have seen from both.  I may be wrong, I have been before you know, and based on the info you have given, it seems I am way off on this one.  If my opinion offended you, well I guess you can just scroll right past it and not read it, then maybe it will not bother you so much.  Was this a dual meet they wrestled each other in?

• 2 weeks later...

Qualifiers only

103: Ayersman, Orzechowiz, Medina, Stevens

112: Smith, Cecil, Rodriguez, Padilla

119: Escobedo, Gonzalez, Smith, Costakis

125: Wartman, S. Camacho, Muro, Napules

130: Pajdzik, Clark, Valdivia, Porras

135: Britton, Deluna, Slosser, Dillon

140: Surma, Hammons, Rodriguez, Richmond

145: Almaraz, Hammons, Quiroz, Jones

152: Estrada, France, Nzeata, Hill

160: Keough, Stokes, Tyler, Jordan

171: Vis, Bartley, Halloran, Berry

189: Lott, Wengel, McNair, Fowler

215: Nacovski, Woods, Nunez, Lucas

285: Anderson, Moore, Denton, Travis

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.