Nicely ran Tournaments.

rchs88

Since there is a post to bash tournaments.  I thought lets start one this happy holiday season and give some props out to what schools run an efficient tournament.  I know in my day the Rensselaer Frosh/Soph tourney worked out pretty well, with so many kids, didn't get done at 10pm. 

Since there is a post to bash tournaments.  I thought lets start one this happy holiday season and give some props out to what schools run an efficient tournament.  I know in my day the Rensselaer Frosh/Soph tourney worked out pretty well, with so many kids, didn't get done at 10pm. 

Al Smith (even when it was just the "Mishawaka Tournament") has always been ran well, on schedule, with great facilites, atmosphere and comeptition.  Short of Friday night at State, or the semi-state finals at the "Allen County Waaaarrr Memorrrrial Coliseum", it is the best wrestling atmosphere I have experienced.

Al Smith (even when it was just the "Mishawaka Tournament") has always been ran well, on schedule, with great facilites, atmosphere and comeptition.  Short of Friday night at State, or the semi-state finals at the "Allen County Waaaarrr Memorrrrial Coliseum", it is the best wrestling atmosphere I have experienced.

I have to disagree.  Although the competition is outstanding and the tourney is ran good the facilities are not.  1.5 mile walk from gym to gym and the main gym is dark and uncomfortable.

Harrison(West Laf.)  War on the Wabash

12 Team Dual Tournament.  Ran very smoothly by the host team.  No major lulls in the action and several quality kids from many teams.

They ran on 6 mats between 3 gyms located within about 100 ft from each other.  Many teams we wouldn't normally see and finished up on day two by 4pm.  Hope to be back next year.

I have to disagree.  Although the competition is outstanding and the tourney is ran good the facilities are not.  1.5 mile walk from gym to gym and the main gym is dark and uncomfortable.

People tend to exageratte a little  ::)  Yes the gyms are on opposite ends of the building...MAYBE 200 yds. from each other!  And the main gym is dark"er" than your typical library.  So yes, I suppose if you are too out of shape to walk the distance from the handicap spot to the door at Wal Mart OR if you want to work on your needle point....then you should find a tnmt. (or day spa) that provides the amenities that meet your standards.

MERRILLVILLE SEMI-STATE!   ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

I do like how Merrillville is Ran. I like the Spot light for the finals The wrestling is always great. But the facilities  are not so good. The consession stand is not good and It is cramped. But who goes there to eat and being cramped is how you make friends. If the gym had more seating and I tought the consession stand to make a walking taco and brought more Ice for drinks It would be a better time for everyone

I do like how Merrillville is Ran. I like the Spot light for the finals The wrestling is always great. But the facilities  are not so good. The consession stand is not good and It is cramped. But who goes there to eat and being cramped is how you make friends. If the gym had more seating and I tought the consession stand to make a walking taco and brought more Ice for drinks It would be a better time for everyone

and how about a better warm up area? :o

I don't see why so many people think Mer. is so bad.  It's a high school, your not going to have facilities of a college that's a given.  If you put it in the Genesis center then people would complain they aren't close to the action or it wasn't a nice area.  I really don't see another school being able to do a better job of hosting.  It's not an easy job.  

i went last year

its soooo packed and crazy

i remember when Napules was wrestling Lamb from Lowell. It was the 2nd ticket round.  everyone from Merrillville and Lowell were standing up. Definitely one of the best matches of the day. I still think Lamb got cheated, but oh well.

Great day of wrestling

I attended the team SAC tournament yesterday at Bishop Dwenger in Fort Wayne. It would have been nicer if it were held at Snider like individual SAC but overall it was okay. There are like 4 schools that could host this event and it be fine.

The bracket was fine although my friends and I had a problem reading one part of it. It was redundant but maybe we overthought it.

A few downsides for some of the teams. South Side did a poor job of fielding a team. They had to forfeit 5 or 6 weight classes and still managed to take 4th place. Snider isn't one it used to be as they left before the round-robin portion ended but not before there coach hurt Dinnius(sp?) from  Concordia(FW SS qualifier last year at 215).

As good as some of the wrestlers are in this conference, the teams look to be fairly weak.

I attended the team SAC tournament yesterday at Bishop Dwenger in Fort Wayne. It would have been nicer if it were held at Snider like individual SAC but overall it was okay. There are like 4 schools that could host this event and it be fine.

The bracket was fine although my friends and I had a problem reading one part of it. It was redundant but maybe we overthought it.

A few downsides for some of the teams. South Side did a poor job of fielding a team. They had to forfeit 5 or 6 weight classes and still managed to take 4th place. Snider isn't one it used to be as they left before the round-robin portion ended but not before there coach hurt Dinnius(sp?) from  Concordia(FW SS qualifier last year at 215).

As good as some of the wrestlers are in this conference, the teams look to be fairly weak.

Give Elmhurst props, though.  They beat SS twice this year and are coming together under new coach Jonathan Brownlee.

The Al Smith is obviously one of the most entertaining tournaments to watch in the state.  The large number of teams, the high quality match ups, and two full days of excellent wrestling in an individual championship style format.  Much better than watching super duals between teams.  The main gym is pretty old and a bit dark, but still easy to see all of the wrestling.  The only real bad thing that I see is that you have to decide to watch either the light weights or the big guys at least for the first day.  They split them into the two gyms based on weight.  I understand that with 32 teams, this is necessary.  Just hate missing any of the action.  They run a great tournament for the size and quality.

Give Elmhurst props, though.  They beat SS twice this year and are coming together under new coach Jonathan Brownlee.

Yeah, but again like I said South may have come out on top both times if it weren't for the weight class stuff. Three kids were absent, another was injured and for some reason another wrestler wasn't wrestling on Tuesday and the first time they met 2 or 3 people were a no show.

The Marion County Tournament, hosted by Perry Meridian, was one of the best organized and admistered I have been to in the last ten years. Cudos to AD Mike Sipe and tournament director Dave Fleming and his crew. We were out of the gym before 10:00 PM on Friday and headed home by 3:15 PM on Saturday.

I agree with twinwrestlersmom that the Franklin Community Ironman was well run. I believe it was their first time with matside pairing. It seemed to work well.

I actually think that the gym is awesome it has the historical feel and the 2nd gym isnt that far either

what bo you mean "hurt" Dinnius? like he was messing around or hit him or what happened

I only saw the aftermath(Dinnius lying on the ground moaning and groaning in pain) but from my understanding Dinnius was messing with the 135 from Snider and the Snider coach came over and was messing around and hurt what seemed to be Dinnius's neck. This was between the tournament and round-robin portion of the tournament and Dinnius didn't wrestle in his team's last three matches of the day. In fact I think he may have been taken to get it checked out.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.