Cutting an opponent.

armdragking

Somebody better tell Brent Metcalf he doesn't know how to ride and can't compete at the next level then.

Not every college wrestler is a Brent Metcalf, just like not every golfer is a Tiger Woods.  Maybe we should ask Dustin Schlatter's opinion.  Back to the point, if the majority of wrestlers want to compete at the next level, they better learn to ride. 

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somebody better tell Brent Metcalf he doesn't know how to ride and can't compete at the next level then.

Not every college wrestler is a Brent Metcalf, just like not every golfer is a Tiger Woods.  Maybe we should ask Dustin Schlatter's opinion.  Back to the point, if the majority of wrestlers want to compete at the next level, they better learn to ride. 

Thats kinda what I was getting at .......

The same Schlatter who was notorious for taking down an opponent and cutting them all throughout High School, including on the national stage??  Sure, he's got some riding skills...but he was a takedown machine in HS.  Just because he's absolutely shut his offense down the past couple of years (to much less success) doesn't mean that he wasn't predominately a "cut" guy in the past.

Seriously?  If a guy gets taken down more than 4 times in the first period, some coach is doing a pi$$ poor job.  Teach any kid a.) a decent stance, b.) how to sprawl, c.) a good hard cross face and d.) a whizzer and he should be able to fight off a takedown for more than a few seconds.

You are assuming the wrestlers are even close to the same level of ability.  There are many first or second year wrestlers at the middle school or high school level who know the above mentioned moves/defenses, but they are still no match for a talented experienced wrestler.

Pi$$ poor coaching is not a fair assessment.  I am sure there have been some wrestlers on some good teams who were coaches by great coaches who got taken down 4 times in a period by a highly superior wrestler.

by cutting someone and working on your feet only shows no improvement of top or bottom wrestling and i find it better to watch a kid ride and turn their opponent for a whole period then just tell the ref neutral

With this logic, it would be fair to say that by just riding an opponent for a whole period shows no improvement on working on your feet right?

idk about you, but i still feel like crap whether i get pinned or tech'd.

I would, however, take a tech anyday than a pin

That way you KNOW the guy is better than you and he just didnt catch you in a stupid move

Sandefer tech'd me. Of course, you prolly could have pinned me if he wanted to

But getting taken down and let back up is a bit pride busting.

But its better than getting pinned

Just trying to clarify my point on Teaching kids  the importance of learnjng to ride. Medcalf rode Schlatter out to win a triple overtime match during the season and later beat Him to win the Big Ten Championship. Cutting an opponent to humiliate him I personally think is classless. To keep it simple my personal philosophy in a match is to win,dominate and pin. If you can takedown and cut an opponent several times in the first period you have accomplished one and two and it is time to start working for the PIN. Don't be a punk. WIN with CLASS.

no it does not mean there is no improvement on the feet it just shows an individuals ability to bread down someone during a match and it also shows more skills then just doin a few different setups and takedowns

Guest justafan52

I think that cutting an opponent isn't the problem.  I think the problem is the way some people do it.  I recently saw a top wrestler in the region cut his guy so lazily to embarrass the kid. He dropped down to his knees while doing so and this nobody kid almost got a takedown.  I think theres a line between doing it to be cocky and doing it to provide scoring opportunities

I think that cutting an opponent isn't the problem.  I think the problem is the way some people do it.  I recently saw a top wrestler in the region cut his guy so lazily to embarrass the kid. He dropped down to his knees while doing so and this nobody kid almost got a takedown.  I think theres a line between doing it to be cocky and doing it to provide scoring opportunities

i AGREE!

i AGREE!

I completely agree, and that is the exact type of incident I was speaking about when I made this post. I think we all can agree that cutting your opponent has its place in wrestling, I just do not agree with that type of blatant attempt to embarrass an inexperienced or lesser wrestler. Now if he hits on your girlfriend or calls your mom a cow, something like that than by all means destroy the kid  ;D 

Just because a wrestler goes tdlu, that does not mean that there is a " blatant attempt to embarrass an inexperienced or lesser wrestler".  As stated previously, there are numerous reasons to go tdlu, and embarrassing an opponent is not one of the reasons.  How many matches have we seen that embarrassment is the main reason for doing this.  I have too much respect for coaches in indiana to believe they would allow their wrestler to purposely and intentionally embarrass their opponent.  I have never heard a wrestler come off the mat that had been taken down say how embarrassed they are.  Whether we like it or not, wrestling has changed to the neutral position being the majority of the match.  Its not like it was in the 80's and before where top and bottom were the prominent positions.  It isn't that its unimportant to be good at these, its just that you better be outstanding on your feet (except for Jake the snake P) to compete at state or college (obviously there are VERY rare exceptions).  If its so embarrassing to get taken down too many times. go do something like soccer(a feel good sport) where you can hide and everyone can be happy.  Wrestling is about life lessons and anyone that has ever wrestled, is better for it.

no it does not mean there is no improvement on the feet it just shows an individuals ability to bread down someone during a match and it also shows more skills then just doin a few different setups and takedowns

I'll agree that it shows an individual's ability to break down an opponent, but disagree with it showing more skills than neutral abilities.  Seriously, to be a pretty good rider all you need is a spiral ride and/or throwing in the legs.  I've watched a few of Mark Perry's matches and he relies heavily on just throwing in legs from what I've seen.  As for you comment for "just doing a few different setups and takedowns."  How many different setups and takedowns does a state caliber wrestler need?  A few, insinuating three, tells me that's plenty for a skillfull wrestler.

not alot of you are calling me out on my comments of wrestling on your feet i was really good on my feet and my grandpa told me never to take a kid down and let him up or in other words give him a takedown clinic i'm just sayin there are alot of different setups and takedowns but you only have to perfect a few to do what you need to to get the job done that is what i am tryin to say matter of fact my cousin is a jr and holds the takedown record at harrison and i think he should start ridding kids and working for turns to help improve himself for tourneyment time

not alot of you are calling me out on my comments of wrestling on your feet i was really good on my feet and my grandpa told me never to take a kid down and let him up or in other words give him a takedown clinic i'm just sayin there are alot of different setups and takedowns but you only have to perfect a few to do what you need to to get the job done that is what i am tryin to say matter of fact my cousin is a jr and holds the takedown record at harrison and i think he should start ridding kids and working for turns to help improve himself for tourneyment time

did yout grandpa also tell you not to use punctuations in a paragraph and not to worry about spelling words correctly but i guess it doesnt matter as long as you get your point across

ff

some times i want to see the kid that i'm coaching's opponent take them down then let them up. one kid that i coach has won 4 matches this year where his opponent took him down and let him up the whole 1st period. this is because A. this kid i coached has great conditional (he runs cross country) B. he's not that great on his feat but he is working on it. C. is great on top and has put almost all of his opponents on their back (in fact he's one of the only wrestlers on the team that i'll put on top. with this being said if the kid has great conditioning, is good on all levels of wrestling (top, Bottom, and feet.) and they don't get cocky about taking a kid down multiple times, then I'm ok with my wrestling doing this. I expect them to use different take downs and atleast work in a turn for atleast 15 secs before cutting. I just don't like it when kids go out there and use the same takedown 10 times though if I every see one of my kids get takendown by the same move over and over again he'll have a "fun" practice.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.