Poorly Ran Tournaments

SamDad

Today I was at probably the worst ran tournament I have ever been to.  The tournament I am talking about is the New Haven JV Invite.  I don't know who was running it, but they need to be fired.  There were three long breaks for no reason and constant open mats.  The tournament looked like it was being run by a bunch of high school kids.  The brackets the printed off at the beginning of the tournament were all messed up and they weren't even accurate.  I was there 7 hours today watching my son and he wrestled 2 times. 

If you can't run a tournament right, please don't host them.  I felt bad for the Roncalli kids who had to drive over two hours home after that debacle they called a tournament today.

Well I would think that a tournament ran by the coaches association president and a former DI Big 10 coach would be ran a tad smoother.  They had plenty of help to run it, just they couldn't put matches on the mat and everything was complete choas. 

Maybe you should have volunteered to help?

I love it when people answer like this. First off if a school decides to run a meet THEY  are the ones responsible for the smooth running of it. Second have you ever tried to help a school ,that you have no affiliations to, run their meet, I don?t think so. Besides why is it so much to ask that when you compete in or attend a meet that you expect it to be ran correctly.

There are many reasons that problems can occur durring tournaments and some are caused by things that the people runnining a tournament have no control.  Please don't critisize those trying to give our young wrestlers competitve mat time without knowing the causes of the problems.

I was there today and while I won't throw people under the bus, but this was very poorly ran and I would expect more from a coach that promised a smoothly ran tournament when he started it two years ago.  Just one great example, I had a kid that wrestled in two different brackets today. 

Been to one of those I won't mention the school but the family paid the entry fee  and then had to work a table ( so we paid to work the table?) and our club had more people working the tables than the host club, but hey we got to eat at the hospitality room, yay  ::) oh and my high schooler waited 3 hours to wresle once........... we left after that.  :(

This may be slightly off topic. The Marion County Tournament, hosted by Perry Meridian, was one of the best organized and admistered I have been to in the last ten years. Cudos to AD Mike Sipe and tournament director Dave Fleming and his crew. We were out of the gym before 10:00 PM on Friday and headed home by 3:15 PM on Saturday. Too bad the home team won...

Or if you're gonna complain how bout you at least learn how to spell "poorly" not "pourly"

Pete I had to give you a BOO for that one! Sam I feel your pain brother We went a JV meet a cpl of weeks ago and that had 4 mats and 18 count em 18 schools participate. The problem was you could have multiple wrestlers in the same weight class from the same school, I am all about getting theese boyus mat time but good god man and on top of it the director and the help they had running it were complete Jackasses.

This brings up the question:

What tourneys (Other than the Merrillville SS!) are run well given the poor facilities they have to work with?

I ask this focused on the positive not the negative mind you!  Let's give credit to those who make the most of what they have!

The one that comes to mind in the Southwest is the Mater Dei Holiday Tourney.  It's a very well run tourney, but the gym is far to small for the number of teams and spectators.  They do the best with what they have, but it's a real sardine can of a day!

I wrestled in the Old Capitol Classic in Corydon when they were in the old building!  Dressing ina Science class room, the wrestling room was the Band room...and it was FREEKIN COLD EVERYWHERE, but there was some GREAT competition there!  AND - It's only gotten stronger since!

It was a hoot!  For my money it is one of the best tourneys in tthe Southern end of the state competition wise year in and year out.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.