OTT Last Chance Qualifier

Christian Carroll and Jacob Bullock are both in the finals at 97kg and 125kg, respectively. Carroll looks really good at 97, quick, and has wrestled really well, beating Iowa's Jacob Warner to get there. Derek Gilcher and Henry Porter also had nice days. Finals are at, I believe 3:00 on Flo. 

Bullock, up 5-0 early gave it away 6-5 by wrestling the rest of the match to "not lose". It didn't work. Carroll looked fantastic today and earned an 11-0 tech in the final. I can't stress enough how sharp he was. I would be surprised if he drops another 16-17 lbs and wrestles 197 next college season, but it's been mentioned as possible, at least by the guys on Flo.

Interesting. There have been so many successful smaller heavies the last 25 years, I would have thought he'd push through and make a run at getting elite against big boys. It'll be fun to see how he evolves.

Really impressed with these High Schoolers Bo Bassett & Jax Forrest performances. “Kids” taking it to these multi time NCAA Champions . Seen up to 11-12 years age differences in these two. Usually we see these high school kids are wrestling at NHSCA’s National Championships . No … they got bigger and better expectations on their table . Future is bright for USA Wrestling . I’m just at WOW ! 

Edited by TeamGarcia

14 hours ago, TC7 said:

He will be at 197 for sure next season 

I'm no expert & am in no way close to the situation. But looking at it from a far, 17 pounds is a lot of weight to shed & keep off for an entire college wrestling season for someone built like Christian Carroll. I would suspect he is already on a pretty strict diet just to be at 97 kg, but again I have no real insight except that he wrestled 220 as a junior in HS.

Cutting that kind of weight & being competitive at the college level can be extremely difficult. Mendez is a good example. He was a completely different animal this year at 141 vs 133 his freshman season. He was much more powerful this year.

Chrisian is a perfect example of why college wrestling needs a weight class between 197 & HWT. And with the recent development of the competitors in the HWT class in college, it is only getting tougher for guys who are at their best around 210-220 pounds.

I'm not actually suggesting adding a weight class to college but just restructuring the classes to:

HWT

It more closely follows the international weight classes to boot.

I'm glad Carroll is back down to 97kg and hopefully is looking at 197 next year. He tried to get bigger to wrestle heavyweight, but he just does not have the frame for it. He looked pudgy and uncomfortable. He'd be much better suited getting leaner and going 197. 

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, SIACfan said:

I'm no expert & am in no way close to the situation. But looking at it from a far, 17 pounds is a lot of weight to shed & keep off for an entire college wrestling season for someone built like Christian Carroll. I would suspect he is already on a pretty strict diet just to be at 97 kg, but again I have no real insight except that he wrestled 220 as a junior in HS.

Cutting that kind of weight & being competitive at the college level can be extremely difficult. Mendez is a good example. He was a completely different animal this year at 141 vs 133 his freshman season. He was much more powerful this year.

Chrisian is a perfect example of why college wrestling needs a weight class between 197 & HWT. And with the recent development of the competitors in the HWT class in college, it is only getting tougher for guys who are at their best around 210-220 pounds.

I'm not actually suggesting adding a weight class to college but just restructuring the classes to:

HWT

I am an avid proponent of a class in the 215-220 range for college. 

Edited by Ahap88

15 hours ago, SIACfan said:

I’m going to go out on a limb and say TC7 has some good insight, so I’ll take his word for it.

Christian wrestled incredible over the weekend. Just keeps adding to an amazing resume before his first college season. I think he’ll be an immediate contender at 197 next season, and hopefully makes some noise at the OTT.

21 hours ago, SIACfan said:

HWT

I agree with the sentiment of narrowing the gap between 197 and 285, but I would be disappointed if we narrowed the low-middle weights, where the highest numbers of guys naturally fall. The international weights don't make sense at all. They were created by choosing the 6 weights we wanted most--and then trying to squeeze 4 additional ones in somewhere (and accidentally skewing way too heavily toward big guys). They would be structured differently if we were allowed 10 weights at the Olympics.

Something like this would include bigger guys better than we currently do, while catching as many college wrestlers' natural sizes as possible, in my opinion. Including KGs for your benefit, @SIACfan :) :

126 (57kg)

134 (61kg)

142 (64.5kg)

150 (68kg)

158 (72kg)

167 (76kg)

177 (80kg)

190 (86kg)

210 (95kg)

285 (129kg)

On 4/7/2024 at 6:38 PM, TC7 said:

He will be at 197 for sure next season 

8 hours ago, Caleb Spires said:

I’m going to go out on a limb and say TC7 has some good insight, so I’ll take his word for it.

Christian wrestled incredible over the weekend. Just keeps adding to an amazing resume before his first college season. I think he’ll be an immediate contender at 197 next season, and hopefully makes some noise at the OTT.

Thanks, TC. I guess if we'd paid attention to CC's post-title interview this weekend, it would have been clear too. In brief, he's 5'10" and the guys at 285 are such monsters, structurally. He also mentions wanting to coach down the road and suggests there are no examples of ex-HWTs doing that at the highest levels.

9 hours ago, Caleb Spires said:

I don't doubt that, but it doesn't change the fact that 97 kg (214 lbs) is a long way away from 197 pounds. That is a lot of weight for someone with Christian Carroll's frame to cut.

But if he is able to do it, there is no guarantee that he will be as dominate as he was this past weekend at 97 kg.

I'm not trying to knock Christian Carroll here. I'm all about the success of our Indiana guys. My comments were more about raising the topic of the need for a weight class between 197 & HWT at the college level. Christian is one individual that I feel would greatly benefit from just such a weight class.

14 minutes ago, SIACfan said:

I don't doubt that, but it doesn't change the fact that 97 kg (214 lbs) is a long way away from 197 pounds. That is a lot of weight for someone with Christian Carroll's frame to cut.

But if he is able to do it, there is no guarantee that he will be as dominate as he was this past weekend at 97 kg.

I'm not trying to knock Christian Carroll here. I'm all about the success of our Indiana guys. My comments were more about raising the topic of the need for a weight class between 197 & HWT at the college level. Christian is one individual that I feel would greatly benefit from just such a weight class.

I fully agree that 97kg (214lbs) is more ideal to take advantage of CC's insane frame. That said...

The obvious example of a stout 97kg guy going back and forth between 197lb and 97kg is the 5'11" Kyle Snyder his first couple years of top international competition. Even at an inch shorter, Christian is starting with a fuller 214-lb frame than Snyder had at the same age--but if he can follow even 5% of the Snyder blueprint, he's on a great path.

17 minutes ago, maligned said:

I fully agree that 97kg (214lbs) is more ideal to take advantage of CC's insane frame. That said...

The obvious example of a stout 97kg guy going back and forth between 197lb and 97kg is the 5'11" Kyle Snyder his first couple years of top international competition. Even at an inch shorter, Christian is starting with a fuller 214-lb frame than Snyder had at the same age--but if he can follow even 5% of the Snyder blueprint, he's on a great path.

Well if he can follow Snyders' path he will end the debate of the Indiana GOAT.🤠