Did the Iowa Teske seeding nonsense swap Rooks into Nationals for Boarman?

Sadly, Blake Boarman, Chattanooga (Evansville Mater Dei) 133, got put to his back and pinned when he was leading 8-0 in a match that he needed to secure a spot at NCAA nationals this weekend. Double sadly, even though he was in a good spot in the Coaches' ranking and RPI to get an at-large bid if he lost, the 133 results went haywire across the country.  A full 8 of the 27 guys at that weight who earned automatic allocations for their conferences did not earn the automatic bids. There are only 6 at-large bids to be handed out, and, as it turns out, among those 8 unlucky losers, Blake is ranked 7th. He would be the final guy not to get into the tournament at 133 if the committee decides to stick to its pre-tournament assessments. Several of the other "losers" were ranked near him, and I'm not sure what's happening with the injury situation of Wells from Minnesota, so not all is lost. But it's not looking great.

So here's a twist: In the Big Ten, Bouzakis of Ohio St. and Wells of Minnesota didn't earn their allocations and stand in front of Boarman in the line for that last NCAAs bid. One of the things that happened there was a seeding glitch: Brody Teske of Iowa didn't get a seed (well..automatically fell to 14th) because he won the Iowa wrestle-off too late for his information to be submitted for a seed. He takes out 3-seed Bouzakis, who falls into the wrestle backs and loses to 4-seed Van Dee. If Teske had been seeded, he would have been the #6, and he would have had a first round match with Cayden Rooks, who would have dropped a line from his given #10 to #11. Even if Cayden had wrestled lights out, he would have arguably lost that match to the hot Teske. Making a long story short...Bouzakis would have likely gotten 4th to 6th, even with how he wrestled this weekend; Teske would have placed about the same as he did; and Rooks would have had to face Van Dee of Nebraska in the Consi 2nd Round. Assuming he'd lost that match as he did this weekend (11-6), Bouzakis would have gotten the automatic bid and Rooks wouldn't have.  ....And Blake Boarman would be sitting in the final NCAAs bid position instead of one spot out. 

Obviously, Cayden Rooks earned his spot, and Indiana wrestling fans who know his story--among whom I am one--are ecstatic. And obviously Blake Boarman put himself where he is by not finishing the job on Saturday. But what a twist of fate that one Indiana native who just lost 9-8 to another Indiana native just a couple weeks ago might have subbed in to his NCAAs spot in his last-gasp year--in part because of a seeding rule technicality!

Edited by maligned

That’s a lot of if ands and buts, and always happens every year to more than one wrestler. I’m amazed at how you did all this placement diving to get to a conclusion! Did you graduate at  the top of your class?

7 minutes ago, Disco said:

That’s a lot of if ands and buts, and always happens every year to more than one wrestler. I’m amazed at how you did all this placement diving to get to a conclusion! Did you graduate at  the top of your class?

Ha, no. I just knew Boarman is 7th in line with 6 spots available, and I noticed Cayden would have faced Teske/Van Dee with normal seeding of Teske--but I wanted to spell it out if people didn't know how the system worked.

44 minutes ago, maligned said:

Ha, no. I just knew Boarman is 7th in line with 6 spots available, and I noticed Cayden would have faced Teske/Van Dee with normal seeding of Teske--but I wanted to spell it out if people didn't know how the system worked.

Salutatorian then ok, got it. 

There is always going to be several perspectives. But the way I see it Rooks took advantage of the opportunity that the Teske seeding technicality offered him. While Boarman simply failed to take care of business & may pay a steep price because of it.

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, SIACfan said:

There is always going to be several perspectives. But the way I see it Rooks took advantage of the opportunity that the Teske seeding technicality offered him. While Boarman simply failed to take care of business & may pay a steep price because of it.

100% agree.

Starting with him winning one of his losses, there are actually about 12 scenarios around the country that would have gotten Boarman in if he indeed misses out.

Edited by maligned

15 minutes ago, nk140 said:

Washington has had a bad ankle injury ever since his MFF at the Army event.  Probably shouldn't be wrestling. 

I wonder I he would have been better off going all MFFs at Big 10s. He'd have had a 25 ranking and he could have communicated to selection committee that he'll be recovered finally for nationals after 3.5 weeks off. Now, he's put 2 more performances out there way below his level and given them clear reasoning to leave him out of the tournament if they want since they know he's hurt.

On 3/12/2024 at 9:31 AM, maligned said:

I wonder I he would have been better off going all MFFs at Big 10s. He'd have had a 25 ranking and he could have communicated to selection committee that he'll be recovered finally for nationals after 3.5 weeks off. Now, he's put 2 more performances out there way below his level and given them clear reasoning to leave him out of the tournament if they want since they know he's hurt.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda , that’s a lot for coaches to try and figure, let alone a twenty something year old. 
Maligned, I think I found you a side hustle come tournament time! All this name, likeness and image money being throw around. Now remember, where you heard it first. ( im easy) 8% per contract per team. Let me know.  I do have some inside on a few of the schools. 

3 hours ago, Disco said:

Coulda, woulda, shoulda , that’s a lot for coaches to try and figure, let alone a twenty something year old. 
Maligned, I think I found you a side hustle come tournament time! All this name, likeness and image money being throw around. Now remember, where you heard it first. ( im easy) 8% per contract per team. Let me know.  I do have some inside on a few of the schools. 

Too much? I’m negotiable!  Your brains and by brawn $$$$$