Fort Wayne: 14

Evansville: 13

East Chicago: 12

Total team points:

Evansville: 497

New Castle: 314.5

East Chicago: 308.5

Fort Wayne: 237.5

I know it happens at all semi-states some, but there were so many state placer level dudes left in Evansville.  Not just from Brownsburg...studs going down for a lot of schools.  It is freaking brutal - win your regional and draw into a top ranked guy who lost to another top ranked guy.  Lose at regional to a state high placer and draw into another high state placer.  This is always a concern for any semi-state, but it is freaking bananas at the Evansville Semi-State.

11 minutes ago, Darrick Snyder said:

I know it happens at all semi-states some, but there were so many state placer level dudes left in Evansville.  Not just from Brownsburg...studs going down for a lot of schools.  It is freaking brutal - win your regional and draw into a top ranked guy who lost to another top ranked guy.  Lose at regional to a state high placer and draw into another high state placer.  This is always a concern for any semi-state, but it is freaking bananas at the Evansville Semi-State.

150 was infested with talent in ECSS, 6 kids in that bracket were ranked in the top 16. 3 of the 4 placed top 6 on Saturday. Just an absolute stacked bracket. 150 was a tough weight class across the state this year.

150 was stacked this year for sure - off the top of my head Evansville had the State Champ, State Runner-up, and 4th place finisher.  Plus, Tommy Gibbs who was ranked 3rd.  He lost to Champ and drew into runner-up.  I watched the 3rd place match at 150 and it made me hate our system.  Hats off to both wrestlers in a great match, but Tommy beat both of them.

120 in our Regional you had the State Champ and 4th place finisher....Plus Preston Haines.  Preston lost to the 4th place finisher and drew into the State Runner-up...so you had at semi-state #1, #2, #4 and Preston who has placed 2nd and 3rd at State.

There were other great wrestlers at 120 and 150.  Those are just the ones off the top of my head.  If you don't have a vested interest in another semi-state, swing by Evansville next year.  You will see dudes wrestling in the round to go that could be a semi-final state match.

Edited by Darrick Snyder

All true Coach Snyder. Evansville/Mooresville is brutal. Dominic Brown at 126 lost at regional to the 3rd place finisher Reynolds and drew the eventual State Runner up Schaefer in the ticket round. Mooresville Regional also included the eventual Champion Rioux. So Evansville at 126 had the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place finishers at state and guess what, Brown holds a victory over the 4th and 6th place finishers at the weight class. Coach Snyder and I talked about the fact that you can very well lose the Team State title at the Regional. 

35 minutes ago, Darrick Snyder said:

150 was stacked this year for sure - off the top of my head Evansville had the State Champ, State Runner-up, and 4th place finisher.  Plus, Tommy Gibbs who was ranked 3rd.  He lost to Champ and drew into runner-up.  I watched the 3rd place match at 150 and it made me hate our system.  Hats off to both wrestlers in a great match, but Tommy beat both of them.

120 in our Regional you had the State Champ and 4th place finisher....Plus Preston Haines.  Preston lost to the 4th place finisher and drew into the State Runner-up...so you had at semi-state #1, #2, #4 and Preston who has placed 2nd and 3rd at State.

There were other great wrestlers at 120 and 150.  Those are just the ones off the top of my head.  If you don't have a vested interest in another semi-state, swing by Evansville next year.  You will see dudes wrestling in the round that go that could be a semi-final state match.

10 minutes ago, swain358 said:

All true Coach Snyder. Evansville/Mooresville is brutal. Dominic Brown at 126 lost at regional to the 3rd place finisher Reynolds and drew the eventual State Runner up Schaefer in the ticket round. Mooresville Regional also included the eventual Champion Rioux. So Evansville at 126 had the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place finishers at state and guess what, Brown holds a victory over the 4th and 6th place finishers at the weight class. Coach Snyder and I talked about the fact that you can very well lose the Team State title at the Regional. 

Now that the IHSAA has settled into the all-day Friday schedule for state finals, has there been any push to add semi-state 5th or 5th/6th to the state finals?  I know many have proposed this in theory.

That's 20 or 24 per weight, Opening Round 3v6 and 4v5 matches Friday morning, Round of 16 in the afternoon. More butts in seats, more concessions bought all day. More money all around. Plus no need to continue the endless discussion of wrestle backs at semi-state. (At semi-state, QF losers wrestle each other same time as semi-finals, 5/6 placement match same time as other placement matches)

1 hour ago, maligned said:

Now that the IHSAA has settled into the all-day Friday schedule for state finals, has there been any push to add semi-state 5th or 5th/6th to the state finals?  I know many have proposed this in theory.

That's 20 or 24 per weight, Opening Round 3v6 and 4v5 matches Friday morning, Round of 16 in the afternoon. More butts in seats, more concessions bought all day. More money all around. Plus no need to continue the endless discussion of wrestle backs at semi-state. (At semi-state, QF losers wrestle each other same time as semi-finals, 5/6 placement match same time as other placement matches)

This^^^^ Like everything else I am sure there will be holes shot in this but this has made total sense to me. Doesn't "water" anything down. We wrestled for 5th a while back and it wasn't an issue. It provides more opportunities for kids.