Overachievers

8 minutes ago, 1prouddad said:

"Overachievers" 

Ouch!!!

No need to be dramatic and say “ouch.” It’s not downplaying anyone’s efforts, but on paper, according to various credentials, talent levels, and experience, a lot of these guys “aren’t supposed to win,” but are doing so in convincing fashion. Thus, they are overachieving. It’s not a derogatory term, and I, along with several others from my time, were considered overachievers.

Overachieving is a very relative term. What might be considered overachieving to one spectator could be a letdown for the actual wrestler.

One example: I(very wrongly) had Elias Cressell ranked #8 in the semi-state. I’m sure all of Wabash county thought that was ridiculous, but for most of the state who didn’t get to watch him this year, it probably looks like he’s having the tournament of his life. To him, I would bet he was still distraught losing in the semis despite his ranking being much lower than his final placement.

Edited by Caleb Spires

8 minutes ago, Caleb Spires said:

Overachieving is a very relative term. What might be considered overachieving to one spectator could be a letdown for the actual wrestler.

One example: I(very wrongly) had Elias Cressell ranked #8 in the semi-state. I’m sure all of Wabash county thought that was ridiculous, but for most of the state who didn’t get to watch him this year, it probably looks like he’s having the tournament of his life. To him, I would bet he was still distraught losing in the semis despite his ranking being much lower than his final placement.

Very true. I didn’t think about it like that even having been considered an overachiever myself despite knowing my result was a letdown. Thank you for pointing that out. I have to remind myself these are kids. Also, @1prouddad I meant no harm by my statement and I apologize.

15 minutes ago, blueandgold said:

Very true. I didn’t think about it like that even having been considered an overachiever myself despite knowing my result was a letdown. Thank you for pointing that out. I have to remind myself these are kids. Also, @1prouddad I meant no harm by my statement and I apologize.

All good 👍