There Is No Such Thing as Bad Wrestling In the Region

I don’t think bad wrestling exists up north. I am originally from Michigan City, Indiana, but I went to school in Indianapolis as I moved with my mom and brothers while my dad stayed up north. I didn’t start wrestling until eighth grade, but I quickly noticed A LOT of the best wrestlers were coming from up north. I’ve always considered the Region to be “top heavy” with the top-ranked wrestlers often being from that area. I don’t know if it’s because it’s a big metro area, but it’s certainly my favorite place to be because there’s no place like home, and the wrestling is top tier. I don’t think bad wrestling exists in that area. Every opponent I had from there was tough, each school had a solid schedule, if you competed in the DAC, you had some guts, and every wrestler up there had a certain air of toughness about them. This isn’t to say Northern, Northeastern, Eastern, Western, Central or Southern Indiana aren’t great and competitive, but some of the toughest opponents I remember were from the Region because they were (and still are) a hotbed of wrestling that gave my teammates and I some of our hardest matches. There’s always some D1 talent lurking there and a huge concentration of high placing wrestlers.