New Weights Debacle

How much did the new NFHS weight classes affect and/or change plans, outcomes, and/or possibilities for both wrestlers and teams? I can’t speak for any team specifically, but I feel like eliminating the 182 pound weight class left a lot of upper weight wrestlers lost in the shuffle where they were either too big for 175 or too small for 190. You could argue the over-abundance of middle weights in 150, 157, and 165 seem pointless, but at the collegiate level, the weights are almost exactly the same (149 instead of 150). However, in contrast, there is a proper weight for wrestlers in the 180-pound range in 184.

It certainly disrupts things when they shake the weights up, WAAAAAY back in the day I knew a guy that struggled to make the lower weight, had to complete at a higher weight. In my opinion he would have been a state champ if they had not moved the weight classes. 

6 hours ago, blueandgold said:

How much did the new NFHS weight classes affect and/or change plans, outcomes, and/or possibilities for both wrestlers and teams? I can’t speak for any team specifically, but I feel like eliminating the 182 pound weight class left a lot of upper weight wrestlers lost in the shuffle where they were either too big for 175 or too small for 190. You could argue the over-abundance of middle weights in 150, 157, and 165 seem pointless, but at the collegiate level, the weights are almost exactly the same (149 instead of 150). However, in contrast, there is a proper weight for wrestlers in the 180-pound range in 184.

We talk about this all the time at my house. My son was 182 here in Indiana last year but with our national schedule had to cut to 175 to wrestle in Ohio (which was very tough). With that said, I told him that after Brecksville last year, that he would never see 175 again. Henry is our 190 and my son is taller. So we knew a bulk job had to be done. It’s been rough packing on the pounds and muscle to go from 175 to 215 in one year. I think just recently he’s hitting his stride as a 215 pounder. With that said, it’s been tough. Your suggestion would make much more sense. Kinda cool to see someone acknowledging this. Thanks. 

I can’t  speak to changing of outcomes (hypothetical), but for my kid it definitely changed plans. Our football coaches support wrestling but for my son the message was clear, he can’t afford to lose any weight. Weighed 195 - 200 during football and was getting close to regularly weighing 200+. Problem is we all know you aren’t putting on weight during the rigors of wrestling season and once practices started he was closer to 195. Despite said football coaches support, 190 for a whole season was going to be a bridge too far. 182, 195, 220 was perfect. Sad it changed. So he went 215 and rarely weighed 200 despite his best efforts at eating. Rules are rules and we all know wrestlers don’t make excuses. But even though he was an SSQ he did not advance yesterday and we watched some athletes he has beaten recently get through at 190. Oh well. Definitely falls in to the “is what it is” category and my son made his choice and will live with it. Not sure about next year. Anyone have any good bulking tips (ha)?  

PS - some will question why he lets the football coaches know about his off season plans but tough to tell a kid that at a 6A school with 150 kids trying to make the Varsity roster. 

9 hours ago, blueandgold said:

You could argue the over-abundance of middle weights in 150, 157, and 165 seem pointless, but at the collegiate level, the weights are almost exactly the same (149 instead of 150). However, in contrast, there is a proper weight for wrestlers in the 180-pound range in 184.

Thank you, I’ve been so confused at this part ever since they made the switch over. It’s so inconsistent for the college weight classes. They added an extra middle-weight to represent the college 149, 157, and 165, but also combined 182 and 195 into 190 when there is a 184 and 197 in college. I don’t really understand that last part.

4 hours ago, Mattyb said:

We talk about this all the time at my house. My son was 182 here in Indiana last year but with our national schedule had to cut to 175 to wrestle in Ohio (which was very tough). With that said, I told him that after Brecksville last year, that he would never see 175 again. Henry is our 190 and my son is taller. So we knew a bulk job had to be done. It’s been rough packing on the pounds and muscle to go from 175 to 215 in one year. I think just recently he’s hitting his stride as a 215 pounder. With that said, it’s been tough. Your suggestion would make much more sense. Kinda cool to see someone acknowledging this. Thanks. 

He looks darn good at 215! Whatever you're feeding him is working lol. Must be the PB&J!

4 hours ago, Mattyb said:

First and foremost, I want to say congratulations to Caden for advancing to state once more. Second, I’m glad to know I’m not the only one who felt this way. The restructuring of the weights almost feels nonsensical in a way when you see the omission of a weight for 180-pound wrestlers. I’m just curious to know why there needed to be four weights that are essentially the similar to the one it’s next to (150, 157, 165, 175). It’s frustrating because not everyone can do the bulk job and some guys even get pushed out of the lineup where they once had a secure spot and because of that, coaches now have to choose between two impactful wrestlers instead of having both in the lineup in some cases. I know a lot of this is echoing what we both have already said, I just can’t reiterate enough how it doesn’t make much sense.