State Vote in Teams Schedule

Holden

All,

Last year we were blessed to get voted into team state.  We had to drop out of a tournament to attend.  Unfortunately, we are at the mercy of the vote in again this year.  My athletic director is not a fan of dropping a tournament again if we get into team state.  I was wondering if anyone else was dealing with this situation and how they are handling it.  Are there tournaments put on the day of team state with the understanding that some teams will drop out or send a V2 if they are voted in?

Thanks for the info.

Hobart's schedule is ideal for this type of decision, as they are in the Lake County individual tournament where the tournament can go on with or without them without much difference. 

I'm not sure if there are other tournaments like this, but I'm hoping Wheeler, which is Lake County adjacent, can use the tournament for the same reason sometime if we get a bid. 

Rossville is in the same boat.  Really don't want to commit then our team qualifies and we have to send people scrambling to fill a tournament spot.  We considered hosting a tournament for teams that don't qualify on the same weekend.  Might be a good idea to have a few teams ready to commit to hosting a tournament for all those teams in the same boat.  

There's no great answer I know. Some of the bigger schools have the option of fulfilling a contract with a JV lineup not at state.

I've been on both ends of it. I've had to drop to get in before and had someone drop out of one of my tournaments to get in. 

Every time it has happened the AD's and coaches have understood due to the significance of the Team State tournament. 

I've heard people say several times there should be a tournament for those teams hoping to get in that don't. And just find a host from the unpicked teams once the vote-ins have been announced. But it's not something the IHSWCA has the resources for, so it would be up to a willing school.

On 10/23/2023 at 10:40 AM, Holden said:

All,

Last year we were blessed to get voted into team state.  We had to drop out of a tournament to attend.  Unfortunately, we are at the mercy of the vote in again this year.  My athletic director is not a fan of dropping a tournament again if we get into team state.  I was wondering if anyone else was dealing with this situation and how they are handling it.  Are there tournaments put on the day of team state with the understanding that some teams will drop out or send a V2 if they are voted in?

Thanks for the info.

Thankfully the Lake County tournament has worked with us in the past. Hanover Central has a good understanding that we might not be there. Our AD has the same understanding and wants us to compete for a state title.

Thanks guys.  I was going to host a tournament that day and call it "The on the Cusp" Invite.  Fill it with as many Varsity, Varsity 2, and JV teams as possible and just match people up the day of the tournament.  No brackets, no championship, just, "Hey, we want to wrestle these teams."  Match up and go.  The problem is, if we got in, someone from our program has to run it and misses out on going to state.  Oh yeah, we also host a dance competition that day.

If there is a super dual on the day of team state that includes teams that just miss getting into team state, and Columbus East isn’t in team state, Columbus East will host this event.

I’ve thought this is a great idea, and could eventually lead to voting all 8 teams into team state in mid December instead of using a points based system from the previous years team.