Steveson out, Mason Parris in at Senior Worlds

I'm sure others have seen, but Steveson is out at worlds and Mason is in. The way he's wrestled this calendar year, he's got a genuine shot to medal.

Only Akgul, Petriashvili, and Zare will be favored against him, but he's capable of banging with them. Others could beat Mason, but I'd pick him vs anybody but those 3.

The way the seeding will fall, Akgul and Zare will be on the same side of the bracket and Petriashvili on the other. If he ends up in the top half, he'd sadly not medal if he can't beat one of those big dogs.

Importantly, even if Mason loses all potential matches to the "Big 3",  he can still earn the "True 5th" that he needs to lock up the U.S. slot at 275 for the Olympics--assuming he beats all his other opponents.

2 hours ago, SIACfan said:

This is huge news for Paris & Indiana wrestling. It is now possible we could see 2 Indiana wrestlers bring home a World medal in the same year.

Has that ever happened before?

Both 2021 & 2022: Sarah Hildebrandt and Kayla Miracle

3 hours ago, SIACfan said:

It is now possible we could see 2 Indiana wrestlers bring home a World medal in the same year.

Has that ever happened before?

59 minutes ago, maligned said:

Both 2021 & 2022: Sarah Hildebrandt and Kayla Miracle

And  other of them could do it in this one too. So that’s 4 potential Indiana medalist for Team USA if everything falls into place.  But why stop there, we can still throw in Micic with an outside shot by way of Serbia to make it a possible 5 for the Hoosier state. 

4 hours ago, SIACfan said:

OK, let me rephrase.

Has there ever been multiple men from Indiana win world medals in the same year for the US team?

Yeah, I knew what you meant. 😄 I was being a little snarky. 

17 hours ago, maligned said:

Yeah, I knew what you meant. 😄 I was being a little snarky. 

I was aware that you were pulling my chain, but it was deserved. I am guilty of forgetting about the ladies. They are quite awesome.

But no one has answered my question yet. I wonder has there ever even been 2 male wrestlers from Indiana represent the US on the senior team at the world championships in the same year before?

37 minutes ago, SIACfan said:

I was aware that you were pulling my chain, but it was deserved. I am guilty of forgetting about the ladies. They are quite awesome.

But no one has answered my question yet. I wonder has there ever even been 2 male wrestlers from Indiana represent the US on the senior team at the world championships in the same year before?

Looked through the worlds page on this website, and the only time I saw two men's freestyle team members were Angel Escobedo and Reece Humphrey in 2013. Indiana has had some pretty good numbers for putting guys and girls on age level world teams for a few years now, but doesn't have a huge history of getting guys on the senior team. 

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Looked through the worlds page on this website, and the only time I saw two men's freestyle team members were Angel Escobedo and Reece Humphrey in 2013. Indiana has had some pretty good numbers for putting guys and girls on age level world teams for a few years now, but doesn't have a huge history of getting guys on the senior team. 

Thanks!

Yes both Angel & Reece did indeed compete for the US in the 2013 World Championships, unfortunately neither medaled. And coincidentally, Angel was an alternate just as Mason is this year.

Hopefully, Nick & Mason can bring home some bling.

19 minutes ago, SIACfan said:

Does anyone know where to find the Brackets for the Senior World Championships?

I can't find anything.

Draws haven't been made yet. Draws will be made in the next 1-2 hours, and brackets will be released shortly after.

Edited by The Genius

Draws are out!

Parris gets a bottom half quarter. Decent opponent first match vs. Kazakhstan. QF would be vs Munkhtar, the consensus 4th best in the world from Mongolia. Only Geno awaiting in the semis from among the Big 3 in his half. Barring huge upsets somewhere, he needs to beat Munkhtar in the QFs to have a chance at top 5.

Assuming he beats Munkhtar, he would then get 3 shots to qualify the weight for the Olympics--semi vs Geno, bronze match if he loses, and true 5th match if he lost that.

I can only find bracket links on the App--not on the new weight-by-weight tabs on the computer version. The new format on the computer now lists nothing about match numbers or future opponents either. Hopefully they'll add that info at some point.

Great start for Team USA today.  All 4 wrestlers advanced to the semis this morning.  Apparently the schedule has changed and the semis will begin at 10 am Central Time.  Today's group:

61 - Vito Arajua

70 - Zain Retherford

86 - David Taylor

125 - Mason Parris

Parris faces Geno Petriashvili. 

Oof...against 3-time World Champ Petriashvili in the semi's, Parris drops an 8-6 heartbreaker after being up 6-4 with a minute left. (Petriashvili is the one Gable beat in an all-time, last-second thriller for Olympic gold.)

Mason will wrestle for bronze tomorrow--probably against a tough Russian that only lost 6-5 to Petriashvili himself.

If he loses that, he'd wrestle for True 5th to try to earn the United States one of the 5 Olympic spots for each weight on offer at these Worlds. He'd probably be the favorite against likely opponents there.

Edited by maligned

USA sends 3 of 4 today into the finals:

61 kg Vito

70 kg Retherford

86 kg Taylor

Parris lost a close match to the guy Gable beat in the Gold medal match in Tokyo 8-6. He will wrestle for a Bronze medal & to secure a spot at 125 kg in next years olympics.

1 minute ago, maligned said:

Oof...against 3-time World Champ Petriashvili in the semi's, Parris drops an 8-6 heartbreaker after being up 6-4 with a minute left. (Petriashvili is the one Gable beat in an all-time, last-second thriller for Olympic gold.)

Mason will wrestle for bronze tomorrow--probably against a tough Russian that only lost 6-5 to Petriashvili himself.

If he loses that, he'd wrestle for True 5th to try to earn the United States one of the 5 Olympic spots for each weight on offer at these Worlds.

You beat me by seconds maligned.

Micic beats the reigning World champ!

He is into the gold medal match after knocking off the 2021 Olympic champ and 2022 reigning World champ in back-to-back matches in a pre-Olympics year for Worlds--always the most loaded, focused Worlds of the Olympic cycle.

Our suspicions were correct. Stevan Micic is an all-time great.

For the USA:

Richards 57 kg loses 1st match & is eliminated

Dake 74 kg is in the Finals

Marsteller 79 kg loses in the quarters, his opponent loses in the semi's so I think he is done

Valencia 92 kg loses in the quarters, his opponent advances to the finals - so he should be pulled into repechage

Maligned can you verify that my thoughts on Valencia & Marsteller are correct?

Micic will have Higuchi of Japan in the final. Probably regarded as the best talent at 57kg (125.5lb). He just hasn't been able to stay there weight wise consistently since taking silver at the Olympics at age 20 in 2016. He won worlds last year up a weight at 61kg (134lb).