Solved it

Steve Smith

High school done so I gotta watch college.  Almost as ridiculous as freestyle with 2 points with each flip.

Get rid of riding time in college wrestling. 3 points for takedown. Now if you get an escape and another escape after choosing down on period 2 you are still 1 point down. 

Now you still have to take him down to win. No more lying on top to get points instead of trying to turn. 

OK, hit me!

I like the idea of no riding time point unless near fall was scored. This season seems like a lot of parallel riding, no attempts to turn and no stall call. Also like the 3pt takedown. Doubt either will happen though.

2 hours ago, RAJR said:

I like the idea of no riding time point unless near fall was scored. This season seems like a lot of parallel riding, no attempts to turn and no stall call. Also like the 3pt takedown. Doubt either will happen though.

To me adding a riding time point to go along with a 4 pt nearfall is big time overkill.  You can earn both, but tying them together just misses the mark, IMO.  

I don't see the sport as needing to be fixed. Rules can be tweaked, but no need for an overhaul.

Takedown is 1 point, with an additional point added if you end the period on top or stay on top for 30 seconds. Escapes are 0. Reversals are 1. Turns are 2/4. 

All penalties except cautions result in choice of position where escapes are worth one point if achieved in 30 seconds. 

Edited by Jcjcjc

44 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

To me adding a riding time point to go along with a 4 pt nearfall is big time overkill.  You can earn both, but tying them together just misses the mark, IMO.  

I don't see the sport as needing to be fixed. Rules can be tweaked, but no need for an overhaul.

Not adding a riding time point. If you ride a minute, you currently get a point. I am saying you don't get that point unless you also scored a near fall in the match.

1 hour ago, RAJR said:

Not adding a riding time point. If you ride a minute, you currently get a point. I am saying you don't get that point unless you also scored a near fall in the match.

That's my point...  you're tying it to the near fall points.  i don't like it.  Either you earn riding time or you don't, IMO.  

We could make it simpler and create more action if...

When a wrestler gets on top (takedown, reversal, or start of 2nd/3rd period), the clock starts - always starts from zero.  After 1 minute, if not in a pinning situation/hold, stop the match and start them in neutral with no escape point.  This basically gives the "point" advantage to the one who rides for a minute straight.  And it allows both wrestlers the same chance for it in 2nd/3rd period.  More neutral helps create more action, but still rewards those who can ride and punishes those who can't get out on bottom.

19 minutes ago, GrecoCoach said:

We could make it simpler and create more action if...

When a wrestler gets on top (takedown, reversal, or start of 2nd/3rd period), the clock starts - always starts from zero.  After 1 minute, if not in a pinning situation/hold, stop the match and start them in neutral with no escape point.  This basically gives the "point" advantage to the one who rides for a minute straight.  And it allows both wrestlers the same chance for it in 2nd/3rd period.  More neutral helps create more action, but still rewards those who can ride and punishes those who can't get out on bottom.

I get what you're going for, and I don't hate it, but it does lead to some questions.  How does this work in the 2nd/3rd period when someone is starting from the top position with no takedown?  At that point, you're kind of punishing the person who's successfully riding their opponent by resetting to neutral even though the person on bottom didn't earn it.  At that point, you're rewarding the person who's better on their feet.  What if the person on top has gotten a turn (or more), but at the 1 minute mark isn't in the process of another turn/takedown attempt?  

1 hour ago, rrschott said:

I get what you're going for, and I don't hate it, but it does lead to some questions.  How does this work in the 2nd/3rd period when someone is starting from the top position with no takedown?  At that point, you're kind of punishing the person who's successfully riding their opponent by resetting to neutral even though the person on bottom didn't earn it.  At that point, you're rewarding the person who's better on their feet.  What if the person on top has gotten a turn (or more), but at the 1 minute mark isn't in the process of another turn/takedown attempt?  

Top wrestler is rewarded by not giving up an escape point.  If you can get away in less than a minute and your opponent can't, then you're a point ahead.

I'd treat the pinning combination like when refs wait to award nearfall until the hold is released.  If someone has gotten a turn (or more), then he is most likely ahead in points.  From a fan perspective, I'd prefer to see them back on their feet for a more exciting finish instead of the guy ahead just riding him out for the win.

21 hours ago, Thor said:

I think you're hottest take here is about freestyle points, not college riding time. 

OK, if I gotta fix freestyle too, when the guy on bottom goes turtle and pulls in his hands so you can't turn him and the ref lets him get up I think you have to give his opponent a point for the "nonescape."

Never seen  Greco, so I can't fix that, if it even needs fixing.

Maybe during the faceoff we could dim the lights and have smoke and the Undertaker chimes... nah!