Iran wrestling news

13 hours ago, The Genius said:

People forget Azimi beat the current 92kg World Champ (Kazakh) in U20 Worlds a few months before Snr Worlds

Azimi is a very serious talent at 92kg although Ghasempour is still quite young so it's hard to see how Azimi gets into the team (unless Ghasempour gets injured)

Big test in the final today against Kurbanov.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/16/2024 at 12:56 PM, kmrabr said:

So he’s out of Yasar Dogu. Kamran and Hassan injured, new national coacj brought just in months before, horrible build up to Paris.

Yazdani had shoulder injury in September, expected recovery time is 6 months. So he should be back around March (similar timing as Ghasempour)

Ghasempour can resume training in 2-4 weeks, doesn't seem too bad. Ghasempour should forget about 97kg and start moving down to 86kg, this could be a good opportunity for him given Yazdani's injury. Dabir's comments on Yazdani's injury were quite controversial (saying he will never be the same / no one can fully recover from that injury).

57kg - TBC

65kg - Amouzad 

74kg - Emami

86kg - Yazdani (or Ghasempour if Yazdani cannot recover in time)

97kg - Azarpira

125kg - Zare

IMO only 57kg is still up in the air for Paris. This team should win 3-4 medals. 

Edited by The Genius

Any team with 4 Z’s will do well. There will not be another Olympic freestyle year like this I’m sure. If Ghassempour gets the nod for 86 Kg - he will have to have his surname spelled as Ghazzempour. If baby Yaz gets to go instead at 74kg then there will be 5 Z’s. Fait Accompli

On 2/18/2024 at 10:17 PM, The Genius said:

Yazdani had shoulder injury in September, expected recovery time is 6 months. So he should be back around March (similar timing as Ghasempour)

Ghasempour can resume training in 2-4 weeks, doesn't seem too bad. Ghasempour should forget about 97kg and start moving down to 86kg, this could be a good opportunity for him given Yazdani's injury. Dabir's comments on Yazdani's injury were quite controversial (saying he will never be the same / no one can fully recover from that injury).

57kg - TBC

65kg - Amouzad 

74kg - Emami

86kg - Yazdani (or Ghasempour if Yazdani cannot recover in time)

97kg - Azarpira

125kg - Zare

IMO only 57kg is still up in the air for Paris. This team should win 3-4 medals. 

I know Dabir got a lot of hate for his comment about Yazdani’s injury but thought it was far enough tbh. I’m not a doctor but always feel like shoulder and knee are really difficult injuries for wrestlers. Let’s assume both guys are back fit for April, that’s an incredibly short time frame to get ready for Paris.

3-4 medals would be an amazing Olympics for us, when was the last time we even took 3 in freestyle?

On 2/19/2024 at 5:20 PM, The Genius said:

Also, Musukaev lost to Andreasan and Rashidov is back at 65kg. 

I am very optimistic about Amouzad's chances for Olympic Gold.

Mamedov beat Rashidov again in their wrestle off but they still sent Rashidov because he won Yarygin.

7 hours ago, kmrabr said:

I know Dabir got a lot of hate for his comment about Yazdani’s injury but thought it was far enough tbh. I’m not a doctor but always feel like shoulder and knee are really difficult injuries for wrestlers. Let’s assume both guys are back fit for April, that’s an incredibly short time frame to get ready for Paris.

3-4 medals would be an amazing Olympics for us, when was the last time we even took 3 in freestyle?

3-4 months should be enough time

we won 3 FS medals in 2016 and 2012, wouldn't be unusual

7 hours ago, kmrabr said:

Mamedov beat Rashidov again in their wrestle off but they still sent Rashidov because he won Yarygin.

Amouzad can beat both but I think Mamedov is harder

Loss to Musukaev was a fluke IMO

No Otoguru 

Amouzad - Musukaev - Mamedov/Rashidov for Olympic Gold

On 2/21/2024 at 8:14 AM, The Genius said:

3-4 months should be enough time

we won 3 FS medals in 2016 and 2012, wouldn't be unusual

I meant to type 4 but actually I totally forgot we won 3 medals in 2012. When you think wrestlers are talking about a year or more for the Olympics, 3-4 months back after serious injury is very short.  

On 2/21/2024 at 8:17 AM, The Genius said:

Amouzad can beat both but I think Mamedov is harder

Loss to Musukaev was a fluke IMO

No Otoguru 

Amouzad - Musukaev - Mamedov/Rashidov for Olympic Gold

65 so hard to predict. Amouzad loss last year to Musukaev was very close and he beat him more convincingly the year before, plus hard to imagine Musukaev putting in another run like last year, so def think Rahman can win that.

Mamedov quite a favourite over Amouzad imo. 

No Otoguro but we’ll see what Kiyooka does at Asian qualifier. He’s decent. 

On 2/26/2024 at 4:29 AM, kmrabr said:

65 so hard to predict. Amouzad loss last year to Musukaev was very close and he beat him more convincingly the year before, plus hard to imagine Musukaev putting in another run like last year, so def think Rahman can win that.

Mamedov quite a favourite over Amouzad imo. 

No Otoguro but we’ll see what Kiyooka does at Asian qualifier. He’s decent. 

I rewatched that match and Amouzad was unlucky because he stupidly used his challenge in the first period and couldn't challenge the clear singlet pull at the end. Would have won if he saved his challenge. Also Amouzad improves from losses very well so I expect him to beat Musukaev next time.

Agree Mamedov is a bit harder but even there Amouzad was unlucky to give up 4 points at the end of the first period and that match was extremely close. Also we may see Rashidov instead of Mamedov.

When is Asian qualifiers? 

35 minutes ago, MattM said:

Longest this thread has been inactive in quite a while.  Guess it's a slow news month for the Iran contingent.

Not much happening at the moment.  Here is a clip of the freestyle team training for your viewing pleasure  https://www.instagram.com/reel/C4DehGSISxK/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

On 2/15/2024 at 7:22 PM, Disco said:

Wow ok, but you guys had me worried here! Haven’t heard from anyone on here in several days. I was worried if they dropped the sport of wrestling over there. I guess not. 

Bump

On 3/6/2024 at 3:17 AM, Irani said:

Iran sending a strong GR contingent to Turkey

https://www.instagram.com/p/C4ITFNBM7kU/?igsh=MzY1NDJmNzMyNQ==

that is almost the strongest possible team

both Mirzazadeh and Hedayati at 130kg will be very fun, Hedayati is very ambitious and has talked about his plans to compete in Paris for a while, which seems crazy considering his age and how good Mirzazadeh is, so lets see how he does

25 minutes ago, The Genius said:

that is almost the strongest possible team

both Mirzazadeh and Hedayati at 130kg will be very fun, Hedayati is very ambitious and has talked about his plans to compete in Paris for a while, which seems crazy considering his age and how good Mirzazadeh is, so lets see how he does

Mirzazadeh got injured and Hedayati won bronze

2 hours ago, kkiane said:

Mirzazadeh got injured and Hedayati won bronze

Mirzadeh made in to the final before getting injured.  Hedayati lost to the Finnish

Details here, if you don't read Persian the auto translate will give you the jest of it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C4OVsZHM3nT/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

https://www.instagram.com/p/C4PqzcmMWUG/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Mirzazadeh and Saravi will be 130 and 97 Olympic reps.

67-will it be ismaeli or Geraei

77-I haven't got a clue

87-Mohmadi?

Unsure about the last weight.