Iran wrestling news

3 hours ago, Irani said:

so at this point, the only question marks for the olympics are 57 kg, and 74 kg.

It's probably gonna be Javan at 57kg. I don't think the powers that be have much hope for the weight class, you never know though.

74kg.....it's between Emami and AM Yazdani....I think Emami ultimately will be the pick, unless AM Yazdani gets sent at 74 Internationally and gets some decent wins over big names. Emami late 2022 early 2023 was so much better than the current version we see.

125kg Zare is a stud.

97kg Azarpira just massively upped his stock with that win. He should have cemented his place really with that win. You never know cause Kamran has a bigger stock in Iran than Azarpira. But Kamran just is not big enough. And Azarpira got the win today..so Azarpira has to be the rep imo.

Edited by Uwwdoc

On 1/12/2024 at 3:06 AM, The Genius said:

AZARPIRA DEFEATS SNYDER 6-3 

Fantastic second period performance from Azarpira.

The win itself was huge but great to see him strong in the second half of the match. Looked like pace he used to wrestle at, nothing like his misguided cut to 92 at worlds performance. 

On 1/12/2024 at 3:37 AM, Irani said:

so at this point, the only question marks for the olympics are 57 kg, and 74 kg.

Yeah. I’m a big fan of Emami but after how he performed looks like we have no medal contenders at these two weights. 

What would a top 5 P4P ranking of Iranian wrestlers look like? In my opinion:
1. Zare

2. Yazdani

3. Ghasempour

4. Amouzad

5. Nokhodi

I could see Azarpira entering at #5 if he performs well in Paris. I predict 2024 will be a big year for Zare and he will start to be recognised as a top P4P wrester in the world. 

In other news Sohrabi is wrestling at 67kg in Zagreb today, in a strong field of competition. He survived a scare vs Norway in the first round. He went down 7-0 in the first period but came back to win 8-7 after 6 push outs (+1 passivity point + 1 caution point) in a row!

Edited by The Genius

2 hours ago, The Genius said:

What would a top 5 P4P ranking of Iranian wrestlers look like? In my opinion:
1. Zare

2. Yazdani

3. Ghasempour

4. Amouzad

5. Nokhodi

I could see Azarpira entering at #5 if he performs well in Paris. I predict 2024 will be a big year for Zare and he will start to be recognised as a top P4P wrester in the world. 

In other news Sohrabi is wrestling at 67kg in Zagreb today, in a strong field of competition. He survived a scare vs Norway in the first round. He went down 7-0 in the first period but came back to win 8-7 after 6 push outs (+1 passivity point + 1 caution point) in a row!

I think Masoumi is in there too if you're not considering only starters--but strength against the rest of the world. He's almost a certain medal winner and maybe gold medal favorite at an Olympic weight if he's in the lineup. I'd consider him as high as #3 or #4 if we look at current ability and not past accomplishments.

3 hours ago, maligned said:

I think Masoumi is in there too if you're not considering only starters--but strength against the rest of the world. He's almost a certain medal winner and maybe gold medal favorite at an Olympic weight if he's in the lineup. I'd consider him as high as #3 or #4 if we look at current ability and not past accomplishments.

Have to disagree here, we haven't seen him against guys like Taha and Geno and he had absolutely nothing for Zare yesterday. He lost to Munkhtur and got pinned by the Chinese guy less than a year ago too. Impressive win against Parris and I agree he could medal at Worlds, but I need to see a bit more from him before I put him in the top 5 P4P. 

Unfortunately Sohrabi lost 7-2 to Lithuania in the second round. Horrible tournament from him after surviving going down 0-7 in the first round match.

Clearly MR Geraei will be our rep at 67kg. Interestingly, Nasibov beat Jafarov and won Gold here (Geraei beat Nasibov 9-1 for Olympic Gold in Tokyo). I hope Geraei has been working on his conditioning, it has really let him down in the last few years

GR team for Paris:

60kg - Dalkhani or Mohsennejad

67kg - MR Geraei

77kg - MA Geraei? I am not sure who else is competitive here. Definitely shouldn't be Abdi after his performance yesterday

87kg - Mohmadi

97kg - Saravi

130kg - Mirzazadeh

Should be competing for medals at all six weight classes, with MR Geraei and Mirzazadeh having the best shot at Gold. 

Very impressive win from Hedayati, he looks like a serious contender already, Pino is a world class wrestler (4x world medalist including Bronze in 2023)

So now we have Mirzazadeh (25, 2023 world champion), Yousofi (24, 2021 world champion) and Hedayati (20, 2023 U20 world champion and looking ready for senior world medals)

I wish some of our strength at heavyweight could translate into the lower weight classes

37 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Very impressive win from Hedayati, he looks like a serious contender already, Pino is a world class wrestler (4x world medalist including Bronze in 2023)

So now we have Mirzazadeh (25, 2023 world champion), Yousofi (24, 2021 world champion) and Hedayati (20, 2023 U20 world champion and looking ready for senior world medals)

I wish some of our strength at heavyweight could translate into the lower weight classes

He just teched the Lithuanian who is good but name I can’t spell

1 hour ago, kkiane said:

He just teched the Lithuanian who is good but name I can’t spell

Hedayati is the real deal... This is looking like his break out tournament

He faces Asian Games silver medalist in final (lost to Mirzazadeh 1*-1 in that final)

3 hours ago, The Genius said:

Hedayati is the real deal... This is looking like his break out tournament

He faces Asian Games silver medalist in final (lost to Mirzazadeh 1*-1 in that final)

He beats Meng 3-1. He never really looked in trouble. The match with Mirzazadeh with be most interesting.

1 hour ago, kkiane said:

He beats Meng 3-1. He never really looked in trouble. The match with Mirzazadeh with be most interesting.

I think Mirzazadeh will still be a bit too good for Hedayati but I also thought Yousofi was going to take over after 2021 so what do I know lol

On 1/23/2024 at 10:27 AM, kmrabr said:

Not direct Iran news but Tumur Ochir lost in the finals of Mongolian nationals so won’t be at the Asian qualifier. 

Slightly older news but Otoguro also lost in Japanese nationals 

We are already qualified at 65kg btw

Edited by The Genius

7 hours ago, The Genius said:

Slightly older news but Otoguro also lost in Japanese nationals 

We are already qualified at 65kg btw

Oh yeah totally forgot Amouzad won the qualifier after losing bronze tbh. The whole time I was watching 65kg at the Emperor’s cup thinking who is Amouzad gonna have to face. 

Khorramdel is in the repechage after Rashidov made it to the finals and unfortunately Habibi lost his quarter final match to Deng. Looked good in his first two matches so not bad overall.

Very interested to see how Savadkouhi and Babaloo get on today.

Also just read that Zhamalov has transferred from Russia and now reps Uzbekistan. If that’s the case could be big problem for us qualifying 74, can’t see any of our guys who could beat him if we get stuck on the same side bracket.

Khorramdel won his first repechage match but lost the next one so is out.

Panahian went out first round. He wrestled decent tbf, got laced up early and was 10-1 down ended up losing 10-7.

Man Savadkouhi out first round too. Was 4-2 up with like 10 secs to go then gave up one for caution fleeing then gave up another one on a last second push out to lose by criteria.

People forget Azimi beat the current 92kg World Champ (Kazakh) in U20 Worlds a few months before Snr Worlds

Azimi is a very serious talent at 92kg although Ghasempour is still quite young so it's hard to see how Azimi gets into the team (unless Ghasempour gets injured)