Alternates

Coach Nieman

How many alternates does each regional weight class"send" to semistate? I know for sectional->regional, 5th and 6th place are 1st and 2nd alternates. Is it the same case for regional ->semistate, where first round loser to the champ is 1st alternate and first round louser to the runner up would be 2nd?

14 minutes ago, Coach Nieman said:

How many alternates does each regional weight class"send" to semistate? I know for sectional->regional, 5th and 6th place are 1st and 2nd alternates. Is it the same case for regional ->semistate, where first round loser to the champ is 1st alternate and first round louser to the runner up would be 2nd?

This is how I understand it.

2 minutes ago, tommyho said:

That’s terrible cause most likely that means a 4 seed is alternate after regionals going into semi state .. should be highest seeded wrestler 

I agree, its a backwards way of doing it. Congrats on being 7-14 and finishing 4th you get to move on to____. But the poor 2 or 3 kid that got beat with a 30-4 record is done for the year. 

I’ve had a issue with this for years.  But the IHSAA isn’t to concerned with alternates other making sure they can  fill the spot with someone whose family will put a few extra butts in the seats (in a none Covid year).  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.