We have the headgear thing backwards

H1N1

Probably not the thing you want someone looking at some day in an interview though.  

As someone who is employed in a corporate environment I don't see cauliflower ear being an issue during the hiring process.  Generally speaking, if a company made its hiring decisions on physical looks or deformities the amount of legal action and sanctions would be immense.

I'm an economist.  There's extensive research into the fact that being taller as a man and more beautiful as a woman correlates to career advancement.  I'm absolutely sure decision-makers generally don't hire or fire based solely on physical appearance, but the data have a long history and are inarguable: physical appearance affects hiring decisions on a subconscious level.  

I have no desire to get into the headgear/no-headgear discussion.  That's up to coaches, individuals, and families.   But if we're just dealing in facts, it's short-sighted to think that having deformed ears won't affect someone's first impression of you and potentially have a tiny subtle effect in people's minds when they're deciding between you and 5 other qualified people.  

That might be a hard culture to change.  I know many people who still consider it that way. I know wrestlers who tried to give themselves cauliflower ear.  

Probably not the thing you want someone looking at some day in an interview though.  

Actually mine has done more good than harm. There is a lot of "respect" that goes out to the brotherhood that is the wrestling community upon seeing the ears. It may sound silly to some, but it's a fact. 

I was never required to wear them nationally (other than the high school nationals) or internationally, so didn't feel the need to wear them if it was up to me.

I'm an economist.  There's extensive research into the fact that being taller as a man and more beautiful as a woman correlates to career advancement.  I'm absolutely sure decision-makers generally don't hire or fire based solely on physical appearance, but the data have a long history and are inarguable: physical appearance affects hiring decisions on a subconscious level.  

I have no desire to get into the headgear/no-headgear discussion.  That's up to coaches, individuals, and families.   But if we're just dealing in facts, it's short-sighted to think that having deformed ears won't affect someone's first impression of you and potentially have a tiny subtle effect in people's minds when they're deciding between you and 5 other qualified people.  

Fair point, that sounds more like psychology than economics though.

Fair point, that sounds more like psychology than economics though.

Yeah, nowadays, with so much data available in all fields of research, economic modeling is used to assess virtually anything.  Economists work in healthcare, psychology, all professional sports front offices...just about anything where data analysis can help firms or organizations give context to real-life outcomes. 

"Behavioral" economics, for example, (analysis of behavior of consumers, behavior of decision-makers in firms, etc.) is an enormous field.

Edited by maligned

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.