NHSCA Nationals

MattM

Unless I missed someone it looks like Forrest Glogouski, Kyle Jolas, and Blade Weber are Indiana's only representative in the NHSCA Senior Nationals division.  Tyler Ferguson, Jordan Napier, and AJ Dixon in the Junior National division.  Does anyone know of anyone else from Indiana attending this event in one of the other divisions (MS, Freshman, or Sophmore)?  Good luck to the Indiana wrestlers.  The event may not have quite as many big names as it used to draw, but it looks like the brackets are still sprinkled with some top national competition. 

It seems like attendance, from Indiana or otherwise has really fell off in the last few years.  At one time, at least in the Senior National division, this was the prestigious National event.  At one point only the states top placerwinner were even allowed to enter, but the brackets are now cluttered with none placers. In recent years competing national events had taken away some of this events draw, however this year both FloNationals and USA Folkstyle Nationals are schedule for next weekend.  Kinda sad to see such a big time event lose some of its luster, but I guess this is the result of so many new "national" competitions starting up over the last several years.

You're right, Matt...this used to be a big, big event. I think they might've overdone it by adding the additional grade-level competitions. Going through those brackets, I was really struck by the low numbers and often underwhelming competition. This event used to be a murderers row at nearly every weight class.

Also, Kain Rust is in this event.

This tournament may not be what it used to be (just based on what others have commented) but it still seems like a good, competive tournament for most of the approx 4000 wrestlers that are there. 

I have not looked at them all but I did just check out freshman 106 since I am following someone in it:

137 wrestlers from 29 states and 1 from Germany

16 state champions, 39 placers

(based on registration, I did not cross reference final bracket)

That looks like a good weekend of wrestling to me.

This is our first time at this event, we have traveled all over the States wrestling, I would say that this tournament is one of the toughest . not sure where else you can get Folkstyle competition like this other then Flo. Also there are so many college coaches running around to mention. I have seen Duke, Application State, Arizona State, Cornell, Penn NIU, SIU, UNI, VMI and on and on. Forrest has 13 state champs, 7 state runner ups and 28 state placers in his bracket not to bad. Blake's bracket is also loaded. I would defiantly recommend this tourney to anyone.

Dan Glogouski 

It would be nice to see the tournaments noteriety grow again, especially at the Senior level.  Maybe the date being offset from that of FloNationals and USA Folkstyle Nationals will help.  It still had its stud, and placing high in it should definitely garner you some attention from coaches.  However, it's not quite the high school tournament above all tournaments that it was in the 1990s-2000s and Capitalism maybe the ultimate blaim for that. 

I wanted to come on here to let everyone know why Forrest forfeited the final 2 matches. After wrestling his way back through the loser bracket to get in the placement rounds the announcer was calling for All-Americans to stop at the head table before leaving for the evening. We did , as I was there I asked what time does he need to be here in the morning, She replyed no later then 6:15 pm..  I replied (6:15) wow, why so late, she said would you rather him not be All- American, so I said of coarse not, see you then.  WELL as we were eating lunch around 1:30 Sunday Forrest got a text from a coach asking him why he forfeited the final 2 matches, our stomach sank!!!! Drove to arena got the lady who told me 6:15 and the director and asked them what the heck (putting it nicely) The lady said oh my, Im so sorry, I said wow that's it. SORRY .  We believe Forrest would have been wrestling for 3rd and fourth to avenge his loss in the first round .

That majorly sucks for Forrest.  It was awesome to see him battle his way back after an early tournament defeat and I assumed he must have had an injury of some sort which lead to his AA match FF's.  But to lose the matches due to misinformation in very unfortunate.  He not only lost out on placing high at a tough national tournament, but also the wrestling exposure he may have had with the college coaches watching the AA rounds.  Anyone up in that situation would deserve more than just a Sorry in my book.  I'd say if the lady did admit some type of fault in the situation a little more than just a sorry is warranted.  And it sounds like no one from the tournament attempted to contact you after the FF's occurred even though it would seem odd to whoever is verifying the brackets for a wrestler to all of a sudden no show during the AA rounds.  If the wrestling times weren't set in stone before the tournament started I would think someone would at least try to use the contact info to find out what occurred, but maybe they were to overloaded and under man-powered at the time.  While a refund or something similar would not make up for Forrests missed opportunity, it would have at least help right some of the wrong done here.  Forrest should be proud of how he battled back in the consolation rounds and what he did this weekend proves he can compete with some good national competition.

Wow, that is unacceptable and needs to be resolved for next year.  There were comments on other states message boards about the same miss understanding.

The kicker is, if your in the AA rounds most college coaches will we watching.  Those matches he will never get back

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.