Early look at the Jeffersonville Sectional

powerhalf

Jeffersonville Sectional

Team to beat: With half the individual champions remaining from last year, the team race will boil down to which team can fill their losses best. As usual numbers are high at Jeffersonville and Floyd Central but New Albany and Corydon both have a large number of key guys returning. With the program depth and the ability to fill their holes with quality wrestlers, Jeffersonville should be able to take the crown away from Floyd Central this year. Floyd, Corydon and New Albany will all be in the team race and it may go down to an exciting finish where Jeffersonville needs a big win at HWT for the Red Devils.

Returning place winners at sectional:

Floyd Central:      ( 5 ) 2 champs  2 second  1 third

Jeffersonville:      ( 9 ) 1 champ    2 second    2 third  1 fourth 3 fifth

New Albany:        ( 7 ) 1 champ                    2 third  3 fourth 1 fifth

Corydon Central:  ( 9 ) 2 champs                  1 third  2 fourth 2 fifth 2 sixth

Charlestown:        ( 7 )                                1 third  3 fourth 1 fifth 2 sixth 

New Washington:  ( 7 )                  2 second  1 third              2 fifth 2 sixth

Returning Studs:

Stevie Jones Jeffersonville

Sean Brown  Floyd Central

Bailey Lahue Corydon Central

Austin Ward Floyd Central

Ezra Paden Corydon Central

Cory Troutman Floyd Central

Benjamin Castleberry New Albany

Yancey Crase New Washington

Chase Herron Floyd Central

Jacob Franklin New Washington

Matt Hayes Providence

Brandon Spangler Jeffersonville

Brian Arnold Eastern Pekin

Gavan Jolley-Little Jeffersonville

Best shots to qualify for state: Didn't make it? You're welcome for the extra motivation.

Bailey Lahue Corydon Central

Austin Ward Floyd Central

Cory Troutman Floyd Central

Chase Herron Floyd Central

Jacob Franklin New Washington

Gavan Jolley-Little Jeffersonville

Questions going into the season: Can Lahue win his first High School state title? How will Floyd Central reload after losing so many quality wrestlers?

Will Jolley-Little carry his greco success to a podium step at Bankers Life? Who will win the seemingly wide open team sectional?

My answers: A close loss to Wilson in the semi's last year and a dominating win over Hughes at ISWA state tell me he can.  Not as well as they will need to for another title. This is the year Jolley-Little places and he could surprise at state. Sticking with Jeff.

Thanks for the look and lets hurry up and get this season started already!

Other strong wrestlers in this sectional to watch who will be on the podium and cannot be counted out for the top step:

Jarred Cunningham, Floyd Central

Mason Kaufer, Corydon

Bryant Haynes, Charlestown

Bryce Peavler, New Albany

Randall Lynch, New Albany

Hunter Langley, New Albany

D Fredericks, New Albany

James Wise, New Washington

Brett Kempf, Providence

Amil Haleem, Jeffersonville

Gary Gains, Jeffersonville

Most of these guys had strong summers and either beat or pushed the individuals to the limit who are on the stud list.  These guys go further in making this a wide open sectional.

If we are going to expand, lets ask who are the top freshman coming into this sectional? Antonio Gaddi Charlestown, Austin Kopp Corydon Central, Colt May Corydon, Tyler Robinson Corydon, Jarrod Shepphard Jeff, Blake Ellis Jeff, Jack Tull Jeff, Dylan Jolley-Little Jeff, Tristan Selmer Jeff,  Aaron Gohl Floyd Central, Jarrod Cunningham Floyd Central and who else?  I am sure your Dawgs have a young man or two. 

Took a stab at these guys all being freshman this year. Most likely missed one or two.

If we are going to expand, lets ask who are the top freshman coming into this sectional? Antonio Gaddi Charlestown, Austin Kopp Corydon Central, Colt May Corydon, Tyler Robinson Corydon, Jarrod Shepphard Jeff, Blake Ellis Jeff, Jack Tull Jeff, Dylan Jolley-Little Jeff, Tristan Selmer Jeff,  Aaron Gohl Floyd Central, Jarrod Cunningham Floyd Central and who else?  I am sure your Dawgs have a young man or two. 

Took a stab at these guys all being freshman this year. Most likely missed one or two.

some of these guys are still 8th graders

Antonio Gaddi, Charlestown - Starting QB for high school, good athlete that I hope keeps wrestling

Austin Kopp, Corydon Central - very good technical wrestler, unfortunately missed last season due to injury; will probably have to wrestle up since Corydon has a good 106

Colt May, Corydon - good wrestler and developing quickly but may be in a loaded weight class this year

Tyler Robinson, Corydon - dedicated wrestler who doesn't quite definitely one to watch

Jarrod Shepphard, Jeff - ended the offs-season on a high note and wrestling well

Blake Ellis, Jeff - 8th grader

Jack Tull, New Albany (not Jeff) - developing quickly and will have some good work out partners at the high school to bring him along

Dylan Jolley-Little, Jeff - pretty sure he is an 8th grader

Tristan Selmer, Jeff - pretty sure 8th grader (not positive on this one though)

Aaron Gohl, New Albany (not Floyd Central) - is an 8th grader on my team : )

Jarrod Cunningham, Floyd Central - pure stud

Noah Franklin, New Wash - very good wrestler and will fit in nicely

Tristen Dowell, New Albany - moved to Colorado was probably the best 8th grader coming to high school as a reigning Triple Crown winner

Jarrod Cunningham will probably go the furthest in this years tournament though and will compete for the 106 sectional and regional crown against Kaufer and Jones. 

This will be one of the better freshman classes in this area, but next years freshman class is loaded for Jeff, New Albany, and Floyd Central.

(Not to tell on anyone, but Jennings County has some very good kids coming up this year and next, Sorry Coach Mo)

Haven't been here in a while and wanted to take a peek at all the fuss you fellas are making for this year. First, Antonio Gaddi is NOT a starting Quarterback for Charlestown...he is a cornerback and may not even wrestle this year and IF he does he will be one of the bigger guys. Second, Austin "Tiny" Kopp would not have to wrestle up if he were still tiny because Mason has never come close to beating him in practice...but either way he was about 160 this summer and grew several inches and is not so "Tiny" anymore. I also saw Mr. Lynch's "summer picks" and you left out quite a few more realistic picks. Where was Ezra Paden? Bailey LaHue was huge over the summer and grew as well so he may not make it down to what you had him listed for this coming year. You did not mention Luke Woods at all and he beat Mason Kaufer several times, so I'm not sure what you based your picks off of, but they seemed a little off to this momma who's watched these boys grow up over the past nine years. Charlestown has three guys who have worked their tails off this summer, one of which did not get to wrestle much last year as he broke his hand the first week of practice and then contracted mono.  I always get a kick out of the pot that gets stirred each year, but this year rather took the cake for me. Half the state's top guys weren't even considered...if one thinks they've made good picks without one mention of Perry Meridian or more than a couple of Mater Dei guys then I think something is WAY off.

some of these guys are still 8th graders

Antonio Gaddi, Charlestown - Starting QB for high school, good athlete that I hope keeps wrestling

Austin Kopp, Corydon Central - very good technical wrestler, unfortunately missed last season due to injury; will probably have to wrestle up since Corydon has a good 106

Colt May, Corydon - good wrestler and developing quickly but may be in a loaded weight class this year

Tyler Robinson, Corydon - dedicated wrestler who doesn't quite definitely one to watch

Jarrod Shepphard, Jeff - ended the offs-season on a high note and wrestling well

Blake Ellis, Jeff - 8th grader

Jack Tull, New Albany (not Jeff) - developing quickly and will have some good work out partners at the high school to bring him along

Dylan Jolley-Little, Jeff - pretty sure he is an 8th grader

Tristan Selmer, Jeff - pretty sure 8th grader (not positive on this one though)

Aaron Gohl, New Albany (not Floyd Central) - is an 8th grader on my team : )

Jarrod Cunningham, Floyd Central - pure stud

Noah Franklin, New Wash - very good wrestler and will fit in nicely

Tristen Dowell, New Albany - moved to Colorado was probably the best 8th grader coming to high school as a reigning Triple Crown winner

Jarrod Cunningham will probably go the furthest in this years tournament though and will compete for the 106 sectional and regional crown against Kaufer and Jones. 

This will be one of the better freshman classes in this area, but next years freshman class is loaded for Jeff, New Albany, and Floyd Central.

(Not to tell on anyone, but Jennings County has some very good kids coming up this year and next, Sorry Coach Mo)

Thanks for the info on Woods, i thought he graduated, i will make sure triple-b gets it.  Ezra is on the watch list, just out of the top 8.  Please let me know if you have any insights on weights since these guys grow fast, mine is almost 6'3 now and was a 106 not long ago.

The local paper keeps listing Antonio as the QB

Haven't been here in a while and wanted to take a peek at all the fuss you fellas are making for this year. First, Antonio Gaddi is NOT a starting Quarterback for Charlestown...he is a cornerback and may not even wrestle this year and IF he does he will be one of the bigger guys. Second, Austin "Tiny" Kopp would not have to wrestle up if he were still tiny because Mason has never come close to beating him in practice...but either way he was about 160 this summer and grew several inches and is not so "Tiny" anymore. I also saw Mr. Lynch's "summer picks" and you left out quite a few more realistic picks. Where was Ezra Paden? Bailey LaHue was huge over the summer and grew as well so he may not make it down to what you had him listed for this coming year. You did not mention Luke Woods at all and he beat Mason Kaufer several times, so I'm not sure what you based your picks off of, but they seemed a little off to this momma who's watched these boys grow up over the past nine years. Charlestown has three guys who have worked their tails off this summer, one of which did not get to wrestle much last year as he broke his hand the first week of practice and then contracted mono.  I always get a kick out of the pot that gets stirred each year, but this year rather took the cake for me. Half the state's top guys weren't even considered...if one thinks they've made good picks without one mention of Perry Meridian or more than a couple of Mater Dei guys then I think something is WAY off.

Perry should be considered in the Jeff sectional rankings or the Evansville SS rankings?

Who ever predicted the team rankings is wayyyyy off. Charlestown will finish top 3 this year and most likely win it all. They are stacked from 106-138 and then from 160- HWT. Luke woods beat mason kauffer pretty bad and will beat stevie jones. he will definetly be top 2. Bryant haynes and pevler will be the finals match at 120. Dillion gray, Zach higdon will finish top three also. They have a bunch of wild cards this year and should be a solid team.

Who ever predicted the team rankings is wayyyyy off. Charlestown will finish top 3 this year and most likely win it all. They are stacked from 106-138 and then from 160- HWT. Luke woods beat mason kauffer pretty bad and will beat stevie jones. he will definetly be top 2. Bryant haynes and pevler will be the finals match at 120. Dillion gray, Zach higdon will finish top three also. They have a bunch of wild cards this year and should be a solid team.

Life was good when there was no internet in Charlestown. Woods may win 106 if he is there but otherwise, he will have an uphill battle at 113 or 120. Haynes nor Peavler are wrestling 120 this year (according to my source) so that would be amazing. Gray and Higdon I agree on, both should make it out of sectional.  The team placing statement, "Charlestown will finish top 3 this year and most likely win it all",  would be shocking. In this individuals opinion, they are at best the 4th best team in the sectional. I would peg them 5th behind some combination of: Floyd, Jeffersonville, New Albany and Corydon. With 0 returning sectional champs or even runner ups, I would be slightly stunned if they could back up your statement.

Trolling is fun though, I give you that.

No, I was talking about the summer predictions for the "season" sorry for the confusion.

These were summer rankings only for Evansville SS based on info provided by the the wrestling community, weights and results kids wrestled in post season and state tournament, and sometimes direct input from the wrestler.  Definately not predictions.

Here are the returning sectional placers.  I have adjusted weight classes for the ones I had information on, otherwise I left them the same.  I did not plug in any freshman or wrestlers who were out last year.  Nor is there any intended ranking.

Weight: 106

Stephen Jones, Jeffersonville 11 - RQ, RQ

Luke Woods, Charlestown 12 - SSQ

Mason Kaufer, Corydon Central 10 - RQ

Matthew Mosley, New Washington 11

Jacob Jenkins, Eastern (Pekin) 10

Weight: 113

Jordan Gray, Eastern (Pekin) 12 - RQ, RQ, RQ

Tanner Smith, Charlestown 10

Ethan Oakley, Providence 10

Weight: 120

Bailey LaHue, Corydon Central 11 (Returning Champ 120) - 5th, 4th

Sean Brown, Floyd Central 10 - SSQ

Damon Dillon, New Albany 10 - RQ

Joseph DeLeon, Jeffersonville 12

Weston Purlee, Eastern (Pekin) 12

Weight: 126

Bryant Haynes, Charlestown 11 - RQ, SSQ

James Wise, New Washington 11 - RQ

Xavier Weekly, Jeffersonville 12  - RQ

Daniel Doty, Christian Academy Of Indiana 12 - dnq, RQ, SSQ

Artemio Gomez, Charlestown 12

Weight: 132

Ezra Paden, Corydon Central 10 (Returning Champ 132) - SSQ

Bryce Peavler, New Albany 12 - SSQ, SSQ, RQ

Austin Ward, Floyd Central 12 - SSQ

Jacob Blackwell, New Washington 10 - 

Cameron Hopson, Charlestown 11

Weight: 138

Randall Tre Lynch, New Albany 11 - RQ, SSQ 

Trey Sturdy, Christian Academy Of Indiana 12

Nate Kurz, Corydon Central 11

Weight: 145

Benjamin Castleberry, New Albany 11 (Returning Champ 145) - SSQ, RQ

Freddie Hudson, Jeffersonville 11

Austin Smith, Corydon Central 11

Weight: 152

Cory Troutman, Floyd Central 12 (Returning Champ 138) - SSQ, SSQ

Yancey Crase, New Washington 12 - RQ

Brett Kempf, Providence 11 - RQ, RQ

Hunter Langley, New Albany 12 - RQ, dnq, SSQ

Brayton Brading, Eastern (Pekin) 12 - RQ

Dalton Bingham, New Washington 12

Weight: 160

Jacob Franklin, New Washington 12 - SSQ, SSQ, RQ

Zach Higdon, Charlestown 10 - RQ

Idris Frederick, New Albany 11

Dustin Jackson, Eastern (Pekin) 10

Weight: 170

Chase Herron, Floyd Central 12 (Returning Champ 160) SSQ, dnq, SSQ,

David Harrison, New Albany 11 - RQ

Jason Murner, Providence 11

Weight: 182

Matthew Hayes, Providence 11 (Returning Champ 182) - SSQ

Brandon Spangler, Jeffersonville 12 - SSQ, RQ, RQ

Wyler Taylor, Corydon Central 12 - RQ

Weight: 195

Tristen Blake, Corydon Central 11 - RQ

Amil Haleem, Jeffersonville 12

Caleb Donoho, Eastern (Pekin) 12

Weight: 220

Brian Arnold, Eastern (Pekin) 12 - SSQ

Gary Gaines, Jeffersonville 12 - RQ

Robbie Logsdon, Providence 12 - RQ

Jacob Williams, Corydon Central 12

Jerry Fox, New Washington 12

Weight: 285

Gavan Jolley-Little, Jeffersonville 12 (Returning Champ 285) - SQ, RQ

Franklin Korte, Floyd Central 10 - RQ

Dakota Stevenson, Charlestown 11 - RQ

Jamie Lillpop, Corydon Central 12

Nick Lanham, Eastern (Pekin) 12

Sorry if I missed someone past state experience.

I am a business analyst by trade so you cant get enough data:

ISWA Post-season Accolades

Jack Tull, New Albany – Schoolboy, Folkstyle 160 (5th)

Mason Kaufer, Corydon – Cadet,  Folkstyle 100 (8th)

Bailey Lahue, Corydon – Cadet,  Folkstyle 132 (1st)

Patrick Landrum, New Albany – Cadet,  Folkstyle 220 (8th)

Bryce Peavler, New Albany – Junior , Folkstyle 132 (6th)

Chase Herron, Floyd Central – Junior,  Folkstyle 170 (2nd), Freestyle 170 (5th), Greco 170 (1st)

Joshua Foster, Floyd Central – Schoolboy, Freestyle 120 (6th), Greco 120 (6th)

Jerrod Shephard, Jeffersonville – Schoolboy, Freestyle 136 (3rd), Greco 136 (1st)

Josh Ritchie, Jeffersonville – Schoolboy, Freestyle 265 (2nd), Greco 265 (1st)

Jerrod Cunningham, Floyd Central – Cadet, Freestyle 94 (1st) , Greco 94 (1st)

Randall Tre Lynch, New Albany – Cadet, Freestyle 145 (6th), Greco 145 (4th), Junior Greco 145 (8th)

Lunden Bradford, New Albany – Junior, Freestyle 106 (3rd)

Cory Troutman, Floyd Central – Junior, Freestyle 160 (8th)

Jacob Franklin, New Washington – Junior, Freestyle 170 (4th)

Gavan Jolley-Little, Jeffersonville -  Junior, Freestyle 285 (2nd), Greco 285 (1st)

Carson Somerville, Jeffesonville – Schoolboy, Greco 120 (7th)

Cameron McCorkle, Jeffersonville – Schoolboy, Greco 120 (8th)

Joshua Freeman, Jeffersonville – Schoolboy, Greco 136 (3rd)

Stevie Jones, Jeffersonville – Cadet, Greco 113 (6th)

Tyler Crowl, Floyd Central – Cadet, Greco 120 (5th), Junior Greco 120 (4th)

Bryant Haynes, Charlestown – Cadet, Greco 132 (2nd)

Will Cooke, Jeffersonville – Cadet, Greco 138 (8th)

Davis Elliott, Jeffersonville – Cadet, Greco 152 (8th)

Hunter Castleberry, New Albany – Junior, Greco 152 (4th)

Bailey Morrow, Jeffersonville – Cadet, Greco 160 (4th)

Joshua McCorkle, Jeffersonville – Cadet, Greco 182 (4th)

Cameron Ogburn, Jeffersonville – Cadet, Greco 182 (6th)

Brennan Robinson, Jeffersonville – Cadet, Greco 220 (5th)

Chase Shalosky, Floyd Central – Junior, Greco 132 (6th)

Austin Ward, Floyd Central – Junior, Greco 145 (4th)

Freddie Hudson, Jeffersonville – Junior, Greco 152 (6th)

Joshua Saur, Jeffersonville – Junior, Greco 152 (8th)

Devyn Long, Jeffersonville – Junior, Greco 170 (4th)

Eddie Kaster, Jeffersonville – Junior, Greco 182 (5th)

Kevin Cain, Jeffersonville – Junior, Greco 195 (4th)

Chase Durgan, Floyd Central – Junior, Greco 195 (6th)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.