Middle schoolers in high school

mustang13

Why does Indiana not allow middle schoolers to wrestle in high school likes some states?( Ex. Minnesota,New York,Kentucky..)

My brother lives in St. Paul and  he invited me to watch the state finals in person so I could see this Mark Hall everyone was talking about. Also Jake Short from Simley. I'll assert that only 5 schools in the whole state can contend with Indiana. Apple Valley,Saint Michael-Albertville ,Kasson-Mantorville,Simley and Foley. It's watered down and top heavy. I saw half-nelsons win state titles. If we allowed Middle Schoolers to wrestle some of the lower weights may break thru but it would waterdown Indiana's true wrestling pride: Crowning one champion per weight class. Side note: My younger son lives in Alabama where wrestling wasn't resanctioned statewide until 2009. His team Minor High won state last year in 6A(the have 6 classes with an 8th of the participation in Indiana) they allow 7th and 8th graders. I thought Minnesota was bad. Only one of those guys may have made it out of the FORT WAYNE REGIONAL. Maybe. Indiana already has a prestigious middle school championship. Good enough.       

Extreme generalization, but it seems like some states allow middle schoolers to compete on high school rosters to fill line-ups in class systems. Filled line-ups = better duals = more money.

Extreme generalization, but it seems like some states allow middle schoolers to compete on high school rosters to fill line-ups in class systems. Filled line-ups = better duals = more money.

There are very few states that allow 7th and 8th graders to participate in varsity athletics.

Minnesota

Florida(Only for private schools)

New York

South Dakota

North Dakota

Kentucky(Single class state)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.