dirty wrestling/mma influence?

Just curious what everyone's thoughts are on mma moves being used in wrestling and dirty (I.e. eye poking, grabbing the opponents package)wrestling? I seen a kid choked "out" this weekend, and the ref had no clue. Luckily a coach from another team seen what was going on and went out there and signaled the trainer. Should coaches train submission defenses? Should refs be taught what to look for? Don't get me wrong, I love wrestling, and mma, but to me the are separate sports, and should start that way.

Eye gouging and grabbing the package are illegal in MMA as well, so that's a silly statement to make.  Being 'choked out' has always been part of the sport and the officials should be trained to know what to look for.  NFHS made a video that emphasized this in 2001.  There are a lot of chokes that are a LEGAL hold, ie. the arm triangle above, however it is illegal when pressure is applied across the throat blocking air and/or blood.  We had a kid get choked unconcious last year, I had to run on the mat to stop it.  The official about lost it on me until he realized the kid was out. 

As long as you have an arm in there with the head should be legal . When you throw a headlock sometimes you end up in that position and you are taught to squeez refs call.  Now if you see someone setting up the arm triangle I can see that bein illegal but to end up like that from a standing position should be legal. I believe DJ Rackley got hit in one if I remember rt.That I think should of been legal.

Eye gouging and grabbing the package are illegal in MMA as well, so that's a silly statement to make.  Being 'choked out' has always been part of the sport and the officials should be trained to know what to look for.  NFHS made a video that emphasized this in 2001.  There are a lot of chokes that are a LEGAL hold, ie. the arm triangle above, however it is illegal when pressure is applied across the throat blocking air and/or blood.  We had a kid get choked unconcious last year, I had to run on the mat to stop it.  The official about lost it on me until he realized the kid was out. 

Its the same thing with a tight headlock Jake Tonte hit those deadly headlocks a lot almost all of the time the wrestlers was about out but nothing illegal about it just doin what were all taught squeeze as hard as you can. just my opinion

Anything that blocks the flow of air or blood is an illegal hold.

I agree 100%, but showing a video made 13 years ago, obviously isn't helping. Maybe they shoulddo  same thing for refs, that I had to do when I got my first stripe in bjj. We had to get choked out. Maybe if they felt the sensation of no blood circulation, they would know better what to look for? As for it being part of the sport, I don't agree. Yes it's the toughest sport, and things get dislocated, broken, torn bodibloodied and so on, but I would say 95% of those were unintentional. The match I seen, the kid wouldn't lose that match if they wrestled 100 times, so what is the point?

Rule Book

Rule 7 Section 1 Article 5

Other illegal holds/maneuvers include, but are not limited to:

v. any hold/maneuver with pressure exerted over the opponent’s mouth,nose, throat or neck that restricts breathing or circulation;

Just curious what everyone's thoughts are on mma moves being used in wrestling and dirty (I.e. eye poking, grabbing the opponents package)wrestling? I seen a kid choked "out" this weekend, and the ref had no clue. Luckily a coach from another team seen what was going on and went out there and signaled the trainer. Should coaches train submission defenses? Should refs be taught what to look for? Don't get me wrong, I love wrestling, and mma, but to me the are separate sports, and should start that way.

Funny you should ask.  The IHSAA governing body & Bobby Cox, always the progressive organization, and following their cancelling the Team State, exhaustively researched and prepared a training program and video for IHSAA officials. It will debut this weekend.

Following this, they are going to get around to addressing rules like 'blood time' vs. 'crap your singlet' time for wrestlers that accidently poop their singlet at Semi-State, run out of 'crap time', with the one caviat that Bobby Cox can magically come out of the stands and reverse the call.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.