All State Honors??

MCKAJC

I've had trouble locating what exactly is required to attain athletic all state honors in wrestling accord to the IHSAA or the IHSWCA. Is there only one all state honor handed out in each weight class? Or is each placer considered all state?

I was under the impression all the placers are considered all state

I would assume the same. I've heard however that the coaches association only recognizes the champion of each weight class as "all state", which doesn't seem right. I'd like to get the straight real story. How do the IHSAA, IHSWCA and the Coaches Association view this, and what is the criteria?

I think you are looking into this a little to much.  If your top 8, you get an IHSAA State Place winner medal, which means you are an "All-state" athlete in wrestling.  

The IHSWCA has a banquet the day after Individual state and all the "State Champions" in each weight class are invited to be recognized as well as the Hall of Fame inductees, and the top 3 teams who placed in the IHSWCA team competition, which is gone now.

There is also Academic All-state which is given out by the IHSWCA, by grade level, I don't know the requirements for that.

Hope this helps.

Coach Weimer  

The IHSWCA recognizes all 16 state qualifiers as All-State in wrestling.  The IHSAA has nothing to do with determing the critieria for All-State honors.

So would first team all state be place winners? Or is there such a thing as "first team" all state?

I thought all-state honors were reserved for team sports. I have never heard someone use the term with wrestling except for academic.

Even then, academic all-state means a lot of different things. Some sports let anyone in that meets certain requirements, while others only have 10 spots for whole state.

All-State is something I have only seen in team sports as well.  In football, All-State is a process that the coaches work on.  There is an IFCA All-State team chosen in each class (jump on it Y2!) at the IFCA meetings.  For the AP, nominations are sent in by the coach and they select a team.  However, if you are nominated, you get an honorable mention selection.

I would think if you are a state qualifier, that is equivalent to All-State.  "1st Team" to me would be like your champions at each weight class.  But that is just an opinion, not a factual statement.

I think you are talking about two different animals that don't necessarily translate to the other.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.