What does it take to get a High School Wrestler noticed and recruited?

FCWrestlingMom

We have several wrestlers that will be heading off to college yet want to wrestle for teams like Wabash, UofIndy, Indiana Tech, IU and Purdue. 

What advise could you give to help the parents and wrestlers prepare?  Is there a way to get the Coaches to come watch some of the matches for the team?

place at a state title, wrestle pre season nationals, wrestle flo nationals , super 32, and of course Fargo  what i am saying is TRAVEL TRAVEL TRAVEL  also makes for great family time !! Place as an all american at any of these tourneys and the letters will start rollin in.  great academics also a plus.

You dont have to travel...it helps a little but it isnt required...a lot of those trips are exspensive and are not worth it unless you have a legitmate chance placing...a coach isnt gong to care if you go to Fargo and go 0-2 or 1-2 and then your down close to a grand but if you have that kind of money to spend it wouldnt hurt...the biggest thing is you have to get to state possibly place if your looking for scholar ships otherwise you can pretty much walk on anywhere.

I'd agree with both of them bottom line its that you have to be seen.  If he's a under classman and you do have some money go to camps where college coaches will be at then they can also see your work ethic. Sometimes that's more important than skill ask or son lol..

Promote your child, contact the school via email, tell your kid to keep facebook rated G, more  then anything work harder in the classroom. Look at the list of college signing last year, some big changes occured for many different reasons. Lets face it, colleges do not hand out much $ for wrestling. If you can get some $ for wresling along with academic money it will help soften the over all bill for a college education.

Work hard and everything should pay off , make videos of full matches , against other good competition. Attend multiple camps where coaches are said to show . and have a very great work ethic.

When my middle son was being recruited, several Big Ten coaches said the first people they look at are the kids that attend one of their camps.  It shows them that you are interested enough in their school to invest in the camp.

However he got more notice after a good run at IHSAA State and a good showing at Folk, Free, and Greco Nationals.

Of course also fill out the questionnaires on-line.

Two categories

1. Wrestlers wanting to wrestle division 1.

Hit up national tournaments and place. This means individual tournaments, not dual tournaments.  Tournaments like FILA Cadets(run right beside University Nationals), Fargo, Super 32, FloNationals, etc. Also fill out forms on college websites of schools you are interested in. The Illinois coach doesn?t know someone from Indiana is interested unless you show it first. Don?t expect lots of money unless you a multiple time champ and have placed well nationally.

2. Wrestlers wanting to wrestle other divisions

First thing I would say is do not limit yourself to just Indiana schools.  There are great schools in Indiana, but if none of them seem to fit you look in the neighboring states. The best thing personally I did was go out of state for school.

Secondly, show interest in the school by filling out their recruit questionnaire.

For all divisions

Have a plan, what are you looking for in a school, what majors. Also visit multiple places. I had a wrestler that was dead set on going to one school that is all he wanted. I persuaded him to go visit another school and he fell in love with that school. Amazing how opening your eyes and visiting multiple places is good.

Send the coaches tape of your matches, wins and LOSSES. Put them on YouTube for their ease of use.

Do this stuff early, don?t wait until the spring of your senior year to get this in order.  Most colleges have their targets locked in after their junior year in high school.

GRADES, GRADES, GRADES and more GRADES!

One last thing, get good GRADES!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.