New System for Officiating

WaltHarris

I have would like to hear your feedback. For years I have felt we should switch to a new system for officiating.  Basically, we should switch at the semi-state and state level to the FILA model.  That is 3 officials for every match.  Moreover, 2 of the 3 must agree for any call to be registered on the scorecard.  I think the current model places an undue burden on a single official. Additionally, the assistant official in our current system has little real power and is only their to assist.  Do you think this would be a positive or a negative change?  Could Indiana experiment with this model at some local tournament first and who would have to greenlight such an experiment?

I think part of the issue with that model is that Indiana does not have enough officials that have the experience to be able to have 12 officials at each semi-state. Also I believe there are rules that officials can only participate in a state finals every couple years or something. May be difficult to keep quality officials at state every year when you take 12 out of the pool each year.

Just my thoughts, I may be wrong.

Let them wrestle in overtime saw  guy lose for not having his foot on the line in a over time match kind of a mean ref to end a guys season by that

Kind of a mean ref? If  the rule says that his foot needs to be on the line, and by not having it on the line it's a penalty, then how does that make the ref mean? I don't know the particular rule you're referring to, but if you want the ref to ignore the rule just so he doesn't end the kids season, then what other rules do you want him to ignore? Besides, if the kid broke the rule and got penalized then he ended his own season, the ref didn't end it. Unfortunate, yes, but mean? You probably wouldn't have asked him to ignore a locked hands or illegal crossface in the OT, so why should he ignore any other rule infraction?

If the officials would call green and red the same it would not be considered as mean. The problem comes when the ref calls a takedown for red when green still  has a leg but won't call the same takedown for green. If you are going to call it for a foot on the line call it that way the entire match for both wrestlers. It amazes me that one gets called for stalling then the other will do it and not get called. Does he just get tired of blowing his wistle? Maybe these issues could be solved with 3 officials.

I have would like to hear your feedback. For years I have felt we should switch to a new system for officiating.  Basically, we should switch at the semi-state and state level to the FILA model.  That is 3 officials for every match.  Moreover, 2 of the 3 must agree for any call to be registered on the scorecard.  I think the current model places an undue burden on a single official. Additionally, the assistant official in our current system has little real power and is only their to assist.  Do you think this would be a positive or a negative change?  Could Indiana experiment with this model at some local tournament first and who would have to greenlight such an experiment?

I would like 3 officials.  One to sit right next to me while I complain about the calls that I am not getting.  ;D ;D

I think part of the issue with that model is that Indiana does not have enough officials that have the experience to be able to have 12 officials at each semi-state. Also I believe there are rules that officials can only participate in a state finals every couple years or something. May be difficult to keep quality officials at state every year when you take 12 out of the pool each year.

Just my thoughts, I may be wrong.

New Castle Semi State had 12 officials - 3 per mat rotating as head ref, asst ref, and rest.

New Castle Semi State had 12 officials - 3 per mat rotating as head ref, asst ref, and rest.

Never been to the New Castle Semi State, didn't realize they only wrestled on 3 mat. I've only been to the Fort Wayne SS and they wrestle 4 mats. Really not sure how they rotate the officials there. Come to think of it there is probably 12 officials there.

Kind of a mean ref? If  the rule says that his foot needs to be on the line, and by not having it on the line it's a penalty, then how does that make the ref mean? I don't know the particular rule you're referring to, but if you want the ref to ignore the rule just so he doesn't end the kids season, then what other rules do you want him to ignore? Besides, if the kid broke the rule and got penalized then he ended his own season, the ref didn't end it. Unfortunate, yes, but mean? You probably wouldn't have asked him to ignore a locked hands or illegal crossface in the OT, so why should he ignore any other rule infraction?

So does this mean that every rule should be exercised without judgment in every situation?? That's robotic. IMO Foot not on the line shouldn't end a match. That's ridiculous. And the point about "what other rules do you want him to ignore" shouldn't make the point. Foot on the line is a match structure rule that's objective and should come with a caution, like a bad mount in ref position. Allow the kid to get his foot on the line and wrestle it out. IMO this is a case of a ref ending a match not the wrestlers. I'm gonna bet no one showed up to the tournament to watch the official.

So does this mean that every rule should be exercised without judgment in every situation?? That's robotic. IMO Foot not on the line shouldn't end a match. That's ridiculous. And the point about "what other rules do you want him to ignore" shouldn't make the point. Foot on the line is a match structure rule that's objective and should come with a caution, like a bad mount in ref position. Allow the kid to get his foot on the line and wrestle it out. IMO this is a case of a ref ending a match not the wrestlers. I'm gonna bet no one showed up to the tournament to watch the official.

I saw this at Merrillville if it's the same one you are referring too. Not only wasn't the kid any where near the line, he also false started. Remember you get two warnings or cautions I guess they call them before a point is awarded. so the kid must have done it twice before the ref penalized him. I agree no one wants to lose that way but the kid didn't  give the ref much choice.

I saw the match as well. The referee who made the call is one of the finest in the world.  And if you don't believe me, just ask him.  In all seriousness, I saw the look on the referee's face...he didn't want to make that call...but rules are rules.  He saw the infraction and had to do it. 

Do not know how many times he didnt put his foot on the line it was the logansport guy i do believe but then there was another time with scottie sopke and the merriville guy and scottie ggot called for it and then about 30 seconds later merriville guy does it and scottie didnt get a point for it that was a finasl match at 160

Let them wrestle in overtime saw  guy lose for not having his foot on the line in a over time match kind of a mean ref to end a guys season by that

I don't know about mean, but it was a crappy way to end an OT match.  You see some officials simply point at the foot until the wrestler gets his foot on the line without issuing a caution.  This shouldn't be the same infraction as a true false start.  I know that a rule is a rule, but what advantage did the Logan kid gain cause his toe was an inch from the line.  I just don't think the true intent of the false start rule was applied here.  Feel horrible for the Logan kid. 

Never been to the New Castle Semi State, didn't realize they only wrestled on 3 mat. I've only been to the Fort Wayne SS and they wrestle 4 mats. Really not sure how they rotate the officials there. Come to think of it there is probably 12 officials there.

Not a math major, are ya Goul!  New Castle runs 4 mats with 3 refs per mat rotating in. That equals 12 refs.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.