NFHS Wrestling Survey

Dave Cloud

Head Coaches:

You should be receiving a survery from the NFHS via Robert Faulkens at the IHSAA. Please make sure you take the time to fill out this survey. Your opinion matters and the rules committee of the NFHS does make use of the survey information. Sadly, the response rate to surveys is often very poor. The survey stays open until March 5, but please take a few minutes and get this done now so it is not forgotten. I would like to see 90% or more of Indiana coaches respond. Some of the proposals are fairly radical, so please let us know your thoughts.

Dave Cloud-member

NFHS Wrestling Rules Committee

He wasnt kidding about some radical changes, the two that stood out to me

1.  Two points for the first takedown, three for each additional

2.  Two seconds would become a 3 point nearfall, five seconds would become 4 points

Dave a couple of quick questions-

1.  It asked if the weight class changes where satisfactory, do you think that this may give skewed results in the fact that it really doesnt give any input as to what is or is not satisfactory with the weight classes?  I think that many agree with the added upper weights, but think that another middle weight needs to be added in, how does asking if the weights are satisfactory or not give a true understanding of how the coaches feel.

2.  There was no question that I can remember about the tape on the head gear, does these mean that this rule is not for discussion

3.  I also felt that the review of most of the questions in general was pretty vaugue, some additional information on the changes that were implemented last year would have been helpful. 

Anyhow interesting some of the things that were on that survey, should get some good discussion going.

He wasnt kidding about some radical changes, the two that stood out to me

1.  Two points for the first takedown, three for each additional

This is big for wrestlers you take dawn and thn cut their opponents.  A 5-1 lead after 2 takedowns or 8-2 lead after 3 takedowns in a period would really change matches...

This is big for wrestlers you take dawn and thn cut their opponents.  A 5-1 lead after 2 takedowns or 8-2 lead after 3 takedowns in a period would really change matches...

I agree with it, i mean, if you take a guy down 3 times in the first period, ur still only up 3 points but have dominated. however, in close matches, it just seems like 2 much. i see both sides of the defending arguements.

Completed....Have to say I am not a fan of the three point takedown for the second and on takedown.  If you can't ride someone then 2 for 1 is the nature of the beast.  Don't reward someone because they are BAD at a certain position (TOP) or don't attempt to turn their man.

Completed....Have to say I am not a fan of the three point takedown for the second and on takedown.  If you can't ride someone then 2 for 1 is the nature of the beast.  Don't reward someone because they are BAD at a certain position (TOP) or don't attempt to turn their man.

I would agree with this one hundred percent. It will even move us further away from wrestling on the mat.

I guess my question is why does the NFHS feel they need to keep changing the rules?  Are they trying on a continual basis to keep fans guessing as to what the rules are or will be?  Are they on a quest to make it hard for people who are not wrestling people to understand what is going on?

Busco--The wording of the survey was a little vague and open to interpretation. The question on the new weights does not allow you a  to explain why they are satisfactory or not. Those not satisfied for ANY reason should vote no in that case. The headgear issue is really not up for question for this reason: While the committee decides most issues (with approval from the exec. committee) some things are brought to the committee with the idea that the committee will approve them as a formality since they are considered critical as proposed. Two years ago it was the rule on concussions. The medical safety committee felt that it was imperative that the NFHS take a position on this issue since it involved health of competitors. Last year it was the tape on the headger. While I don't care for the rule personally, it's important to understand the position of the NFHS. If someone uses an item improperly, it can make it more difficult to sue the manufacturer successfully. An enterprising trial lawyer could look to see if any governing body (IHSAA, NFHS) did not require that equipment be worn as intended. From the point of view of the NFHS and the state associations, (remember, NFHS stands for National Federation of State HIgh School Associations)  while it may cause some inconvenience, banning tape reduces the risk of the associations or NFHS being sued. Such lawsuits can be ruiniously expensive. Finally, I agree, it would be helpful to have a copy of last year's rule changes in hand when answering the questions. I think if you take a look at the questions on new rules, you can see an attempt to speed up matches (more points for scoring manuevers), shorten down time (30 instead of 45 minute break) and allow larger tournaments (six matches per day). Overall, a good concept.--Dave

"1.  Two points for the first takedown, three for each additional."

Is it the first takedown between both wrestlers ONLY that's worth 2 points? or is it the first takedown for both wrestlers that's worth 2 points?

For example: I take down my opponent for the first takedown. That's 2 points. I let him up and then he takes me down. Does he get 2 points, since it was technically his first takedown also, or does he receive 3 points?

I like the idea of a 3 point takedown. I'd just rather it'd be for wrestlers who put their opponents on their backs but weren't able to hold them for exposure points.

"1.  Two points for the first takedown, three for each additional."

Is it the first takedown between both wrestlers ONLY that's worth 2 points? or is it the first takedown for both wrestlers that's worth 2 points?

For example: I take down my opponent for the first takedown. That's 2 points. I let him up and then he takes me down. Does he get 2 points, since it was technically his first takedown also, or does he receive 3 points?

I like the idea of a 3 point takedown. I'd just rather it'd be for wrestlers who put their opponents on their backs but weren't able to hold them for exposure points.

That last point sounds like freestyle to me  :o

Id rather see the us wrestle freestyle in high school anyways, might make us more competitive internationally. Not to mention i just like that style better... i like the idea of 3 point take downs though could make comback matches a hell of a lot more interesting!

I see no NEED to change scoring.  Maybe some refs should school up on counting back points is all.  I can see all the time spent at the score table trying to figure out match scores if they change the system.  I also think it would be cool to have riding time, but then again that would be a mess with most high school students who run the clocks...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.