Two years ago...

BlueBolt

I know this is not important to anyone, so if you have anything "cute" to say just please keep it to yourself. 

Two years ago this coming weekend was the last time I saw my father healthy.  He sat next to me at the Evansville Semi-State watching the very best the state has to offer battle it out. 

Two days later, he was in the ICU of Deaconess Gateway Hospital, and fighting for his life.  Not explanation, not reasons why.  His hearth and breathing stopped twice, but he kept coming back to the amazement of his doctors.  He refused to quit

This started 17 months of watching a mild mannered, honest, and God Fearing, man slowly slip away, one day at a time.  I can't count how many weeks were spent in the hospital during that time. Or how many times his heart stop, and started again with explination.  He just clawed his way back with a fight and determination that defied all belief.  The most unbelievable thing is he never complained once.  Dialysis, surgery after surgery, no answers to any questions, he just pressed ahead with his life. 

On 28 July 2011, while he slept, his struggles ended. He was in his home, asleep, and peacefully left on his terms. 

I share this with you because he was a wrestling fan from the time of my first match.  He never fully understood the science of the sport,  he never set foot on a mat, but his heart and determination he showed in his fight showed the characteristics of a champion.  As a teacher of 34 years, he appreciated what our sport taught not only his son and his son-in-law, but all the kids he would go and watch wrestle long after we had graduated.

So this weekend, as you watch the incredible efforts of the kids, know that the lessons these young people are learning are lessons worth learning, and that heart and determination are the product of character.

This is a great story. My father never wrestled either but to my knowledge he still follows the sport as much if not more than myself. Our sport is one that is admired by all who understand what it takes to be a wrestler. Bluebold, if you havent already, look for the link on mike powell someone posted on the board earlier today.

Great testimony BlueBolt

And the next couple of weekends if you see an old-timer sitting in the stands, take a minute to greet them, ask who they are cheering for, and share some wrestling stories.  Ours is a sport that builds some unforgettable bonds.

Bluebotl,  thank you for sharing,,  as you  i lost my Dad 7 years ago on 1/24,, seems like yesterday,  as far as wrestling , he never played sports, but "if you start something, your going to finish it" he didnt make it to all my meets, but whenhe did  i gave a little extra,  if i had more of his toughness, i probably would have made it farther. And yes i always like seeing the "old timers" at meets,, really  no matter what your beliefs, opinions, job, "statis", and youve put in alot of time wrestling, its still comon ground that  no one else understands!  Good Luck to all those kids this weekend

Thanks for sharing and what a wonderful and touching post!  I totally understand and sometimes we find out the hard way who the real champions are.  I wish you and your family all the BEST! 

Thank you for sharing this Bluebolt, actually brought back many memories for me. Many of you may remember a man named Jim Christiana he owned Mid-American Wrestling Supply. This man was like a father to me. The Indiana wrestling community and I  lost him in 2004. There is not a day that goes by that I do not think about him and all of the many lessons that he taught me. If it were not for wrestling I would have never meet him and i can honestly tell you that I would not be where I am today if it weren't for him and wrestling.  He wrestled only one match in his career but had a passion for wrestling that not many can challenge. He took me to my first wrestling state meet when I was 13 years old and I have not missed one since, next week I will continue that tradition and will be thinking of him the entire weekend.

To all of the many people that have helped me and many other wrestlers become the men that we are today, Thank You. You will always be remembered.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.