Anyone have a shoe horn?

lpd096

I am looking for a shoe horn that will accommodate a slim and trim 295lb wrestling fan who will be attending the Merrillville SS this Saturday. If you are in possession of such an item, please contact me ASAP!  ;)

BTW, yes...I had to bring it up!

I am looking for a shoe horn that will accommodate a slim and trim 295lb wrestling fan who will be attending the Merrillville SS this Saturday. If you are in possession of such an item, please contact me ASAP!  ;)

I think they're called girdles.  ;D I wonder if I laced one tight enough I could finally be 6 feet tall instead of 5 foot 8?

295? And I still weigh 160 ;)

Shoe horn:Now that's hilarious!  At least the people hosting the tournament are warm and fuzzy.  All kidding aside, if you can hack the crowd, it makes for an amazing day of wrestling.  I enjoy the wrestling at Merrillville as much if not more than Indy.  Fun to watch these kids lay it on the line to get their ticket punched.  Can't wait.

My annual favorite post.  Love the action at Merrillville.  Like most of the people who work at Merrillville.  Seriously dislike the tiny facility.  I view the Northwest SemiState as a source of humiliation for our sport.  They would never tolerate this in basketball.  M'ville was undersized in the &^%@ 1980s when I was coaching!  It is a tough place to even find a seat for older people like me.  Look at the plethora of options we have:

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The largest high school basketball gyms in the United States refers to gymnasiums primarily used by secondary schools for basketball purposes. Most of the school gyms are located in the state of Indiana.[1] A 1998 New York Times article reported that 15 of the 16 largest high school gymnasiums were located in Indiana.[2]

The top fifteen in total seating capacity are as follows:

State City Venue Capacity

1 Indiana New Castle New Castle Fieldhouse 9,325[1]

2 Indiana Anderson Anderson Wigwam 8,996[1]

3 Indiana East Chicago John A. Baratto Athletic Center 8,296[1]

4 Indiana Seymour Lloyd E. Scott Gymnasium 8,110[1]

5 Indiana Richmond Tiernan Center 8,100[3]

6 Texas Dallas Alfred J. Loos Fieldhouse 7,500[1]

7 Indiana Elkhart North Side Gymnasium 7,373[1]

8 Indiana Michigan City "The Wolves' Den" Gym 7,304[1]

9 Indiana Gary West Side High School Gym 7,217[1]

10 Indiana Lafayette Jefferson High School Gym 7,200[4]

11 Indiana Indianapolis Southport High School Gym 7,124[4]

12 Indiana Washington "The Hatchet House" 7,090[5]

13 Indiana Columbus Columbus North High School Gym 7,071[4]

14 Indiana Marion Bill Green Athletic Arena 7,054[1]

15= Arizona Chinle Wildcat Den 7,000[6]

15= Kentucky Somerset Pulaski County High School Gym 7,000[7]

USA TODAY

Gymnasium Sizes

How do Indiana's High School Gymnasiums stack up with the rest of the nation?

1.9,314  New Castle, Indiana

2.8,996  Anderson, Indiana

3.8,700  Elkhart (Central/Memorial) Indiana

4.8,100  Seymour, Indiana

5.8,050  East Chicago, Indiana

6.8,047  Richmond, Indiana

7.7,682  Marion, Indiana

8.7,500  Dallas, Texas (Alfred Loos)

9.7,400  Lafayette (Jefferson), Indiana

10.7,360  Michigan City, Indiana

11.7,300  Gary West, Indiana

12.7,248  Southport, Indiana

13.7,090  Washington, Indiana

14.7,045  Columbus North, Indiana

15.6,850  Kokomo, Indiana

16.6,581  Muncie Central, Indiana

17.6,468  San Antonio, Texas

18.6,316  Bedford North Lawrence, Indiana

19.6,214  Huntingburg Southridge, Indiana

20.6,200  Moline, Illinois

....  Maysville, Kentucky

....  New Castle, Kentucky

21.6,000  Rock Island, Illinois

22.5,890  Shelbyville, Indiana

23.5,847  Connersville, Indiana

24.5,830  Logansport, Indiana

25.5,700  Vincennes Lincoln, Indiana

26.5,650  Boonville, Indiana

27.5,500  Frankfort, Indiana

....  Cut Bank, Montana

28.5,433  Paoli, Indiana

29.5,400  Calumet, Indiana

30.5,306  Jeffersonville, Indiana

31.5,230  Greencastle, Indiana

32.5,200  Houston, Texas

The funniest thing is...explaining to those who are new to wrestling i.e. parents/fans that have just got into the sport, WHY in the world we have to do this year in, year out? Invariably the question from them always arises: "Why do the other 3 semi-states provide spacious arenas and we have to fight to even see our kid wrestle"? This is especially true in the early rounds. If you've never been, come for the first 2 rounds this Saturday and watch the shove-fest begin.  :(

BTW Coach Willmann...I fudged a bit, it's a svelt 299lbs.

This comes up every year. I can't speak to what it's like in the first couple rounds anymore, but from what I can remember, it's bad the first two rounds, then it gets much better in the next two rounds. I remember if you get there after 30 minutes before the first round starts, the only seats available are way up top on the side of they gym from which you can only see two of the four mats. I have stayed away for the first couple rounds because of how bad it is, and that is a shame. I must say that I think the Merrillville people run a good tourney from what I see in the afternoon rounds. I really like how they do the finals under the lights.

tRY a little of dat Johnson's baby oil - apply liberly and u might be able to slip in somewhere ! Dis is da annual rant !! And yes leave da coolers in da parking lot. Ole miss hissy pants will throw a caniption fit. By da way da home team dosen't play by da same rules.

By DA way home da semi state whit da finest grapplin has da crummyest venue. It never seses to amaze me.

The argument that there are other big high school gyms that can accommodate this tournament is a tough call.  Take Lafayette Jeff for example.  By the time you get 4 mats on the floor you can only use the upper bleachers which cuts the total seating by a third.  Not sure you could see all 4 mats at the same time, and seats are far from the action.  If you show up at Merrillville when wrestling starts, you will get stuck up on the side where you can only see two mats for first two rounds.  It does suck.  But if you get there early you can get a seat right next to the mats.  That part is pretty cool.  Close to the action.  That is the only good thing about Merrillville SS other than the fantastic wrestling.

tRY a little of dat Johnson's baby oil - apply liberly and u might be able to slip in somewhere ! Dis is da annual rant !! And yes leave da coolers in da parking lot. Ole miss hissy pants will throw a caniption fit. By da way da home team dosen't play by da same rules.

By DA way home da semi state whit da finest grapplin has da crummyest venue. It never seses to amaze me.

Hey rat, what rules are you talking about?  If it is one about coolers, ask Dave what his feelings are on this if he catches one of his guys with coolers. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.