Acts of Uncommon Valor

Browns Dad

Sagamore Conference this weekend I witnessed a very compassionate act by a young man that I would not have expected it from. North Montgomery's 152 lb kid is a rought tough Senior wrestler who's first round match was ayoung man, 14yrs old, and obviously not as developed or experienced as his opponent. The young man was scared but was filling a spot for his team. What happened next is worth mentioning and praising the Senior wrestler for. The match starts and the Senior grabs his opponent, gently takes him down, and even though the young boy is fighting the senior gently turns him and pins him without roughing him up or humiliating him. My description of this incident does no justice to the actual scene.

I stopped the senior later and told him what a classy and compassionate act of kindness this was.

Sagamore Conference this weekend I witnessed a very compassionate act by a young man that I would not have expected it from. North Montgomery's 152 lb kid is a rought tough Senior wrestler who's first round match was ayoung man, 14yrs old, and obviously not as developed or experienced as his opponent. The young man was scared but was filling a spot for his team. What happened next is worth mentioning and praising the Senior wrestler for. The match starts and the Senior grabs his opponent, gently takes him down, and even though the young boy is fighting the senior gently turns him and pins him without roughing him up or humiliating him. My description of this incident does no justice to the actual scene.

I stopped the senior later and told him what a classy and compassionate act of kindness this was.

I seen that as well and you could tell that it was a great act of compassion.  I don't blame a wrestler that goes out and just crush's an opponent at all but I have seen the likes of Willis, Judy, Molloy, Harvey and several others that go out there and knowing that they could just crush their opponent, ease up and just beats them to get the job done. 

There is nothing worse than seeing a good, young kid, that wants to start wrestling, get thrown out to the wolves, for the teams sake and him or her never wanting to wrestle again.

Kudo's to that North Montgomery boy and his coach.....

I was there but must have missed this match.  It may have happened when my son was wrestling or something but thanks for sharing the story with us. How refreshing to come on here this morning and read several stories about kids who have done something that most wouldnt consider.

The young man you refer to is a member of our team.  He has been treated like this the entire season.  Just last year he was wearing a leg brace and had it since he was quite young.  He regained enough strength to have it removed and was told the best therapy for him was to find a sport and participate.  HE CHOSE WRESTLING.  I consider it an honor to have him on our team and commend all who have chosen to allow this young man the opportunity to make the most of his life.

It's a shame that this is uncommon.  This weekend I observed a wrestler finish the first period up 22-10 (all 10 points from being let up).  He only pinned his freshman opponent after securing a 15 point lead in the second period. Later in the day, he did the same thing against another opponent (likely another freshman).  Is this making him any better?  No.  If he wants to get better, he should pin his opponent graciously and quickly, then find his practice partner after the match and drill 10 extra takedowns against somebody near his skill level.

Why do coaches let this happen?

There is a flip side to that. My buddy has a young wrestler who needs the mat time and he doesnt want my son to pin him right off the bat. Have had several parents tell me , my kid needs the mat time dont pin him right off the bat.  It does go both ways...  What doesnt kill you only makes you stronger..

It's a shame that this is uncommon.  This weekend I observed a wrestler finish the first period up 22-10 (all 10 points from being let up).  He only pinned his freshman opponent after securing a 15 point lead in the second period. Later in the day, he did the same thing against another opponent (likely another freshman).  Is this making him any better?  No.  If he wants to get better, he should pin his opponent graciously and quickly, then find his practice partner after the match and drill 10 extra takedowns against somebody near his skill level.

Why do coaches let this happen?

Are you talking about the 106 match up between Nathan Boston of LN vs. Tyler Antal the back-up from Center Grove?

I was witness to a similar act last night at a JV 6-way meet at Connersville. A senior from Connersville wrestling one of his final matches of his high school career overheard a discussion of an oposing team talking about one of their teamates that had never won a single match. They were talking about this kids father telling him that he was ashamed of him. So the Connersville senior went to his coach and asked if he could wrestle him cause he was going to let this kid win the match. There were no team scoring it was all about mat time and this senior had lost his last challenge match prior to sectionals so he got his wish and wrestled this kid. The senior gave this kid good resistance and the kid had no idea what had been planned and so the match concluded with the senior losing by a close decision. The beaming from this kids face was absolutely amazing as they raised his hand in victory. Was glad I had the chance to witness it :)

I was witness to a similar act last night at a JV 6-way meet at Connersville. A senior from Connersville wrestling one of his final matches of his high school career overheard a discussion of an oposing team talking about one of their teamates that had never won a single match. They were talking about this kids father telling him that he was ashamed of him. So the Connersville senior went to his coach and asked if he could wrestle him cause he was going to let this kid win the match. There were no team scoring it was all about mat time and this senior had lost his last challenge match prior to sectionals so he got his wish and wrestled this kid. The senior gave this kid good resistance and the kid had no idea what had been planned and so the match concluded with the senior losing by a close decision. The beaming from this kids face was absolutely amazing as they raised his hand in victory. Was glad I had the chance to witness it :)

that is amazing! Totally brought a tear to my eye!

That is a young man who will go far in this world. As I told my son's wrestling wether you are  state champ or the worst wrestler on the team when you finish you high school career you will be a better man.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.