new weight classes

timbo

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lovin the posts re technique and big guys.  YES, you can pretty much ignore technique with them and they'll do fine.  That's the point the supporters of lighter weights being more skilled are trying to make.  As long as they don't lock hands on top you've pretty much got yourself a winner.

Go watch the HVY weight finals at the Midlands.  This is the best of the best at the Heavy weight division.

The winner had the Pillsbury dough boy printed on the back of his singlet.

It went into 6 overtime periods with no offensive points scored.

It doesn't get any better than that!

Lovin the posts re technique and big guys.  YES, you can pretty much ignore technique with them and they'll do fine.  That's the point the supporters of lighter weights being more skilled are trying to make.  As long as they don't lock hands on top you've pretty much got yourself a winner.

As a father of a Hwt I will say although it takes a different set of skills than lightweights, it still takes great wrestling skills to be a top tier state guy. My son survives on good technique, or else at 260lbs you couldn't and wouldn't takedown a decent 285lbs wrestler, or for that matter get away from him from the bottom. It's the only weight class youwill see a 20lbs-50lbs weight difference in 2 opponents!

If you do not create angles a bad shot results in the house being brought down on you, and do you know what kind of athlete with good hips that it takes to blast double a 275lbs monster, or the footwork to snatch up a single of 280lbs and to be able to finish? Yes, watching bad Hwt's can be pityful but the same poor technique happens with kids that just dont know how to wrestle, but the big guys seem to get talked about more.....Just My Opinion!!!

I guess I will just have my big guys work on pull-ups instead of wrestling technique because according to you if they can do a few pull-ups they can be state champs.  I never knew it was so easy.

Look at Harvey last years state champ not alot of wrestling knowladge but very strong

I see a lot more pisspoor technique from the lower weights, and for example does position not count when someone is a 1/4" from midget status? I don't find the lighter weights that entertaining because they always seem to be out of position. Since when is wrestling on your butt or on a hip good technique? That will get you reversed in the heavys and maybe straight to your back (this is just one example).

I think we need more data though, so why not start a midget basketball league so we can observe if the phenomenon of the midgets being better at the sport and the technique's involved could actually be measured. Probably could lower the baskets to 6' so the taller ones could dunk. I think this could give us the missing link we need to push this argument forward.

Go watch the HVY weight finals at the Midlands.  This is the best of the best at the Heavy weight division.

The winner had the Pillsbury dough boy printed on the back of his singlet.

It went into 6 overtime periods with no offensive points scored.

It doesn't get any better than that!

I was hoping the freshman from Iowa won, actually.  Also didn't care for the attitude of the doughboy, but he won.  Would like to see a technical, speedy, strong middleweight take him down too. :)

All kidding aside.  Naturally the weights on both ends of the weight scale are going to have some issues.

Not every team in the state is going to find quality wrestlers to fill those spots.

They don't all find quality wrestlers to fill weight.

However, the wrestling by the top 20% is very good. It is just a shame that truly the middle weights

were the ones most effected by the weight changes.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.