Running Scared

twodogs

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kevin-I am calmer than you are

Edb41- at least someone understands ...isn't this guy a millionaire? 

There you go again assuming something you do not know.

I am perfectly calm, I just do not appreciate people who know nothing about me assuming that they know what I feel or understand or that things are too complicated and what nots.

Sadly it is you and the Dud that seem to be the ones walking in thinking that they are so important that others should just except there comments, which they will not explain, without the obvious connotations that are connected to them. 

I don't care about millionaires or golfers.  This post was about wrestlers not getting a chance on the mat to improve.  If you want to talk about those other things, I am sure there are other forums for that.

I'm done with this is isn't a big deal but show some proper netiquite and don't assume that you know what I feel, think, or understand and you will be able to play well with others and that is important in life.

Kevinl, these guys arent attacking you, theyre just messing around quoting a movie called the big lebowski, i think.  Ive never seen it but when i see something ive never heard of before i google it.  google search most of this stuff you dont understand and youll see its quotes from a movie. 

Kevin:  An apple is a fruit.... an orange is a fruit.... moving your fastest reciever into the slot to get a match up against a slower linebacker= Strategy:  moving a kid up or down in the lineup, giving a FF to a stud= Strategy.  So I guess comparing the strategies for different sports can be like comparing apples to oranges....

proper netiquite
  Questioning the integrity of coaches simply because it does not fit into the grand scheme of how to help your son (who by the way is on another team) and then not signing your name, now that is the pot calling the kettle black!!

Bottom line, the opposing coach is not a stakeholder in the development of your son... get over it and take it as a compliment that someone dodged him...

I am the dude, you know so that is what you call me, that or his dudeness, or duder or el-duderino!!!

The dude Abides!!!!

Kevin:  An apple is a fruit.... an orange is a fruit.... moving your fastest reciever into the slot to get a match up against a slower linebacker= Strategy:  moving a kid up or down in the lineup, giving a FF to a stud= Strategy.  So I guess comparing the strategies for different sports can be like comparing apples to oranges....

Questioning the integrity of coaches simply because it does not fit into the grand scheme of how to help your son (who by the way is on another team) and then not signing your name, now that is the pot calling the kettle black!!

Bottom line, the opposing coach is not a stakeholder in the development of your son... get over it and take it as a compliment that someone dodged him...

I am the dude, you know so that is what you call me, that or his dudeness, or duder or el-duderino!!!

The dud Abides!!!!

I will start calling you what you want when you can talk to me without telling me what I think, whether a quote from a movie or not.

But since you decided to explain yourself this time I will address that.

First try a little reading comprehension instead of finding asinine quote to live by.  Perhaps you could try starting at the first post and reading them all slowly and in order you will get the gist of the conversation.  There is a reason they put your name next to your post.

It was not my son that was in question.  I did not complain about the practice once.  I dislike the practice but understand completely.  We have been on both ends of the situation.

My only point was to agree with Jimtown 138 that the strategy of a football coach changing players to suit his needs is totally different with the strategy of a wrestling coach that ends up keeping a kid from participating. There is nothing that a FB coach can do that will keep anybody from the opposing team from being able to participate.  That is the difference.

Now quote from a movie or not, don't tell me what to get over and what not to get over.  That is rude and still shows that you don't understand manners.

Kevinl, these guys arent attacking you, theyre just messing around quoting a movie called the big lebowski, i think.  Ive never seen it but when i see something ive never heard of before i google it.  google search most of this stuff you dont understand and youll see its quotes from a movie. 

Actually if they are messing around then they should respectfully say that these are quotes from some movie.

There are many movies that I could quote that were made well before they were born, but I would certainly not chose the rude ones.  And if one was taking incorrectly because of the other persons ignorance of the setting, I would educate them instead of continuing to be a jerk.

But I guess that is the difference between being brought up to respect others and being brought up to use others as entertainment.

Actually if they are messing around then they should respectfully say that these are quotes from some movie.

There are many movies that I could quote that were made well before they were born, but I would certainly not chose the rude ones.  And if one was taking incorrectly because of the other persons ignorance of the setting, I would educate them instead of continuing to be a jerk.

But I guess that is the difference between being brought up to respect others and being brought up to use others as entertainment.

\

Forget it, kevinl, you're out of your element!

I agree with the wrestling dude.  The opposing coach has no responsibility to help make sure your son is ready for the tournament.  The only responsibility he has is to help his team get ready for the tournament.  I have coached and our staff has used this tactic a few times.  We were just trying to win a duel, and sometimes that has a lot to do with which team has the momentum.

I agree with the wrestling dude.  The opposing coach has no responsibility to help make sure your son is ready for the tournament.  The only responsibility he has is to help his team get ready for the tournament.  I have coached and our staff has used this tactic a few times.  We were just trying to win a duel, and sometimes that has a lot to do with which team has the momentum.

Armbar,

I get that and we have done it too.  Just remember it was not me that was making the initial complaint. 

Nope you did not say I was me but it appears that I have been drawn in as the instigator of the issue by a couple of children that do not read very well.  I just want it clear that I understand.

I am sure that my son will be coached around at some point in his career.  Both his older brothers were and I did not like it but understand completely.  My youngest is only a freshman so it will be some time before (if ever) he gets that treatment.

What is the point of wrestling a dual meet? Is the final outcome all there is to it? If you have someone you want to bump up that is fine but if you have a JV wrestler you put him in. Are your there only to win or is the process you use to try and win more important? IT is about these yong men competing in a competetive sport and leaving it all on the mat! To try and steal the momentum away by forfeiting so your kid doesn't get pinned is unsportsmanlike. That is denying the competetors from deciding the event. Yes a football coach will move players around but he will always have 11 players on the field.

This isn't just a dual meet problem though.  I feel like wrestling is losing some of it's best qualities.  One of the best parts of wrestling is that you have to walk face first into tough situations.  No excuses, no one else to blame, no dodging (or used to be no dodging).  Coach told us when we were about to get buzz-sawed, or thrown to the wolves.  His exact words were, "he's a good athlete."  That was his answer when you were about to get out classed.  Funny part is, he still coached like you were supposed to beat the kid.  I can't imagine how different my life would be if I was raised only to stick my neck out on a sure thing!  What if everytime I anticipated a bad day at work I stayed home.  Come on!  Don't let the best lesson wrestling has to offer die b/c we are afraid to fracture some kids confidence.  Get in there and take your lumps.  You will be a better MAN for it.

WOW I did not know that I would recieve this kind of a response. it has been fun to read. I have to say when I was in high school I was a runner, I ran for the best high school coach in the nation. Not my words just his record.  In cross country you have to rely on your worst runner because he will win or loose you the meet as scoring is. My son was always the smallest kid in his school so I told him one thing to live by " They can kill you but they cant eat you. "

When I posted the other day I was mainly dissapointed for my son not being able to compete and as the time goes by I feel wores for the kid they would not let compete . I want to thank every body for tier comments and if you have a dog in the hunt or you are that dog remember two things my coach used to tell us train hard win easy, and we have a team with charater not a team of characters.

I was just talking to one of my high school coaches today about this topic.  He made some other valid points. 

When you look back on your career you know that you grew the most and learned way more from the losses you suffered.  Letting a wrestler move in the lineup to avoid a tough loss isn't teaching him what he needs to be man.  When I was suffering some adversity in my family life and it began to effect my wrestling training a coach asked me what I would do if had a wife and 3 kids at home.  Would I just put my head in my hands and feel sorry about the hand I was dealt...  or would I get on my feet and work harder to get past that moment?  If you have never been down with time running out, or had to fight off your back then how do you know if you have what it takes?  Don't deny your child/athlete the opportunity to mature in sport so life doesn't disappoint them when it kicks them in the ars!

The difference is if a coach decides not to play a quarterback or to field only 10 players, the other team's linebacker still gets to take the field therefore it IS apples and oranges.

Coaches will kick away from a punt returner all day though....essentially removing him from impacting the game though.  ;D

This has nothing to do with football!!!!!! We had the same thing happen on a major way this weekend only one coach had the grit to wrestle his young man against Tsirtsis, he did not win but he did get knowledge and that is more than the shame that the other wrestlers had to face that thier on coach had no faith in them. maybe we should just give everyone a medal for being there.

This has nothing to do with football!!!!!! We had the same thing happen on a major way this weekend only one coach had the grit to wrestle his young man against Tsirtsis, he did not win but he did get knowledge and that is more than the shame that the other wrestlers had to face that thier on coach had no faith in them. maybe we should just give everyone a medal for being there.

Medals?  Where did we go to get the medals!  :o  HAHA  It cracks me up that you guys are all getting crazy about what another coach chooses to do with his line-up.  We all heard that the kid that "didn't get to wrestle" was some supposed bad a$$ that was being dodged.  That's YOUR perspective, but I am not gonna grab the rope and round up the posse to hang the dude.  MAYBE the kid had an injury, bed wetting issues, a trick knee, whatever.  But for someone to get all butt hurt that their stud was denied the opportunity to whoop up on some JV kid is crazy.

There are all sorts of life lessons to be learned in wrestling, but I doubt the kid on the receiving end of the forfeit is scarred for life. Chances are he gets much better wrestling the guys around him in the room on a good team than pounding on a kid from those %$#^@& cheaters that shuffle their line-ups!!  ::)

This isn't just a dual meet problem though.  I feel like wrestling is losing some of it's best qualities.  One of the best parts of wrestling is that you have to walk face first into tough situations.  No excuses, no one else to blame, no dodging (or used to be no dodging).  Coach told us when we were about to get buzz-sawed, or thrown to the wolves.  His exact words were, "he's a good athlete."  That was his answer when you were about to get out classed.  Funny part is, he still coached like you were supposed to beat the kid.  I can't imagine how different my life would be if I was raised only to stick my neck out on a sure thing!  What if everytime I anticipated a bad day at work I stayed home.  Come on!  Don't let the best lesson wrestling has to offer die b/c we are afraid to fracture some kids confidence.  Get in there and take your lumps.  You will be a better MAN for it.

This is the PERFECT response to the question...We were always coached to Wrestle.  It didn't matter if you were on the mat with Dan Gable himself, you were to give it 110% and let the chips fall where they may...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.