All in tourny

I have been reading some of the proposals on the board and just wanted to weigh in on what I think should be done.  I think a 4 class system is the best way to create an all in tournament and have it finished in a week.  My tourney would start and end the week before conference.  4 classes would mean 77 teams per class that gives us 13 extra teams to get to a 64 team tourney.  On Monday I would have the 13 extra teams from class 1a and 2a wrestle for a spot in the 64 team tourney.  On Tuesday I would have the 13 extra teams in 3a and 4a square off.  The teams will be randomly selected at the beginning of the year and the opponent would be the school that is in the closest proximity to cut down on travel cost as well as have great rivalries for more packed gymnasiums.  Mishawaka vs. Penn on a Tuesday night for a spot in the state tourney is well worth the price of admission.  On Wednesday I would have 8 team regionals for 1a and 2a and Thursday would be 3a and 4a.  The location for the regionals could be at a central location set every year to cut down on travel cost again.  Lastly that Saturday 2 or 4 locations for the 8 way state finals.  2 locations may be able to boost revenue, but 4 should be ideal because I think a wrestle back for the top 6 teams would be cool.  I mean you?re driving all the way to Indy make a whole day out of it.  The biggest concern I have with the tourney is it would take a big commitment for the referees.  Monday and Tuesday would need 26 and Wednesday and Thursday would need 64 at least.  Venues may still be a concern, but most every school has 2 gyms if they cannot fit the full 4 mats.  It would defiantly take some hard work to get this all done, but at least we would have a set schedule every year and a new way to help promote the sport. 

I have been reading some of the proposals on the board and just wanted to weigh in on what I think should be done.  I think a 4 class system is the best way to create an all in tournament and have it finished in a week.   My tourney would start and end the week before conference.  4 classes would mean 77 teams per class that gives us 13 extra teams to get to a 64 team tourney.  On Monday I would have the 13 extra teams from class 1a and 2a wrestle for a spot in the 64 team tourney.  On Tuesday I would have the 13 extra teams in 3a and 4a square off.  The teams will be randomly selected at the beginning of the year and the opponent would be the school that is in the closest proximity to cut down on travel cost as well as have great rivalries for more packed gymnasiums.  Mishawaka vs. Penn on a Tuesday night for a spot in the state tourney is well worth the price of admission.  On Wednesday I would have 8 team regionals for 1a and 2a and Thursday would be 3a and 4a.  The location for the regionals could be at a central location set every year to cut down on travel cost again.  Lastly that Saturday 2 or 4 locations for the 8 way state finals.  2 locations may be able to boost revenue, but 4 should be ideal because I think a wrestle back for the top 6 teams would be cool.  I mean you?re driving all the way to Indy make a whole day out of it.  The biggest concern I have with the tourney is it would take a big commitment for the referees.  Monday and Tuesday would need 26 and Wednesday and Thursday would need 64 at least.  Venues may still be a concern, but most every school has 2 gyms if they cannot fit the full 4 mats.  It would defiantly take some hard work to get this all done, but at least we would have a set schedule every year and a new way to help promote the sport.  

I prefer this method.  I know it looks like a gigantic undertaking, but we have got to get as many teams/schools excited about this to work. The more schools that are involved, the more excitement that will be generated.  In all of the methods of selecting teams based on their previous year's results, the team that I coach was actually included, and I have no interest in the method at all.  I do not have any interest in a Team State tourney that doesn't include all of the best teams.

It is a big undertaking, but if you get it set up for one year it will run be relativly simple to run the next few years because you have venues and refs coming back year after year.  Also midweek would allow for a better school following and tv coverage because we are not competing with basketball as much.  Its basically setting up a regional on a wendsday and thursday night.  It will be rough but it can be done.  I am not saying this is the best method ever but its an idea and something to work off to get an all in torney and have a week where wrestling is king.

I do not have any interest in a Team State tourney that doesn't include all of the best teams.

So you just want a tourney with the best teams and not all the teams?  If so, then couldnt we just use the Genius ratings and identify the top teams (could be 8 or 16) in the state and then invite them to a tournament?  Could have it classed if that is what coaches and AD's want.

So you just want a tourney with the best teams and not all the teams?  If so, then couldnt we just use the Genius ratings and identify the top teams (could be 8 or 16) in the state and then invite them to a tournament?  Could have it classed if that is what coaches and AD's want.

I didn't state that I only wanted the best teams in the state.  If we are having a tourney where some of the best teams in the state are left out, then I'm not interested.  If we are voting teams in, how could you distinguish by voting this past year that Lawrence North was better than Hamilton Southeastern without wrestling it?  that Bellmont was better than Yorktown?  That's what is happening if you vote on the best team from each Regional.  Then if you take a team that has a bunch of young kids that are really making strides or just making it into high school, that really improve a team, that would not be taken into account if you base your selection on Semi State qualifiers.  What if a team lost a couple of kids to injury or skin disease leading up into the Semi State, and that hindered their chances of being selected.  

I just do not see how we can get coaches and programs to support a tournament that is not all in.

I don't speak for everyone, but one problem I have with using an invite tournement is that there is nothing leading up to it and it wouldn't grow a huge following like a tournement format would.  If we don't get the best 8 teams down to the state finals thats ok with me as long as they all had a chance to move on.  Plus great dual meets early in a tournament rise attendance.  A Tuesday Mish vs. Penn match would be standing room only.  

Not to much has been posted not sure if its the time of year or the idea so lets hear your thoughts.  Are you in favor or opposed to this type of tourey?  If opposed what don't you like about the setup and what are some other problems the iswa could run into by forming this type of tournement?  Also would the IHSAA let this type of tournament be ran?  

Right now this looks to be the only rational idea on the board so lets work on it and help get a proposal out there.

Y2 and Karl you two claim your out for the good of the sport why don't you prove it.  Instead of bashing the other not so bright idea for a tournement why don't you help try and get a real tourney started.  You guys would rather argue then get something done and thats why your starting to be laughable on this board and in the wrestling community.

Not to much has been posted not sure if its the time of year or the idea so lets hear your thoughts.  Are you in favor or opposed to this type of tourey?  If opposed what don't you like about the setup and what are some other problems the iswa could run into by forming this type of tournement?  Also would the IHSAA let this type of tournament be ran? 

Right now this looks to be the only rational idea on the board so lets work on it and help get a proposal out there.

Y2 and Karl you two claim your out for the good of the sport why don't you prove it.  Instead of bashing the other not so bright idea for a tournement why don't you help try and get a real tourney started.  You guys would rather argue then get something done and thats why your starting to be laughable on this board and in the wrestling community.

what are you talking about?

Y2 and Karl you two claim your out for the good of the sport why don't you prove it.  Instead of bashing the other not so bright idea for a tournement why don't you help try and get a real tourney started.  You guys would rather argue then get something done and thats why your starting to be laughable on this board and in the wrestling community.

I would rather the IHSWCA put more resources into getting the membership at 80-90% before we tackle something like this.  I would also like to see more than one years worth of planning to implement anything.  Flying by the seat of our pants will only make this a second rate tournament and will be a joke amongst the coaches that already ridicule the IHSWCA.  I am also not fond of doing this in the first place after the issues with the Coaches Trophy and the IHSAA at individual state this year.  Another reason I am leery of any of these proposals is you are going to step on an already established tournament's toes and put their ADs in a spot they do not like and that is looking for teams last minute.  Also what is a team like Bellmont going to do if they get invited and it is the same day as the Bellmont duals?  Are they going to leave the other seven teams in the even high and dry without a meet?  

Personally, I believe the IHSWCA needs to get things in order within the association and get more coaches involved with it first.  We are not even getting a 50% membership from head coaches as it is and the issues with that need to be addressed first before we take on a task like organizing some sort of IHSWCA dual tournament.

Joe,

If you are going to use statistics regarding IHSWCA membership you should get them correct.  You certainly have the right to an opinion, but I will not let false claims and numbers go by.  The IHSWCA has easily had more than 50% of its head coaches as members for many years now. 

Membership is not where we would like it to be and people have been working to improve that.  False statistics being placed on this message board does not help the cause.

Cale Hoover

Im sorry y2 for calling you out, but come on i have been watching you on here for a few months and you are negative or sarcastic about everything.  I'm tired of you on here trying to say what we can't do.  Your the type of person who will cry until you get what you want and its not going to work here.  It may be your site but this is a public forum and I am tired of your rhetoric.  I understand you want an individual class tournament, but your in the minority on that issue and trying to ruin team state just because you can not have the other is not fair to your wrestlers or the sport.  If you truly wanted to fix wrestling in indiana you would start trying to solve the thing instead of shooting down every single persons ideas.

Im sorry y2 for calling you out, but come on i have been watching you on here for a few months and you are negative or sarcastic about everything.  I'm tired of you on here trying to say what we can't do.  Your the type of person who will cry until you get what you want and its not going to work here.  It may be your site but this is a public forum and I am tired of your rhetoric.  I understand you want an individual class tournament, but your in the minority on that issue and trying to ruin team state just because you can not have the other is not fair to your wrestlers or the sport.  If you truly wanted to fix wrestling in indiana you would start trying to solve the thing instead of shooting down every single persons ideas.

I had NOTHING to do with the team series being axed.  My team has never made it to the team portion of the state tournament.  The people that ruined the team series were the coaches who threatened not to go to team regional or brought their JV squad to team regional.  I appreciate that you THINK I have that much pull with the IHSAA, but as you know if I had pull with the IHSAA I would have class wrestling :).

The people that ruined the team series were the coaches who threatened not to go to team regional or brought their JV squad to team regional.

The team series was destined to fail in it's format. I think you know this. Coaches who had teams that were just good enough to win sectionals, but also knew they had a snowball's chance in hell of winning regionals, were caught between a rock and a hard place. It's unfortunate the IHSAA doesn't have the mental capactiy to realize you can't run 2 series at the same time. What other state does that? What other sport does that for that matter? From everything I've looked up from other states, team goes before individuals. In Ohio, their team will be going before individuals. How's that so difficult to comprehend? How's that so difficult to plan. Oh, I forgot, "We're the IHSAA. It's our way or the highway. If one's classed, they're all classed. We just don't want to deal with it because if we do. The universe will collapse in on itself, and space and time will cease to exist. Blah Blah Blah!!!"  ::)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.