Evansville Semi State

navy80

Yes it's early but I work nights and need something to do. Top 4 probable placers depending on the draw.  

103 -(2 ranked wrestlers)

Favorite- Boomsma

top 4-Kuhn, Ruble, Lykins, Kennedy

112-(3 ranked)

fav-Shepard/Shroeder

top 4-Goebel, Schoettle, Matison, Johns, Pettijohn

119- (5 ranked)

fav-Welch/Wedding/Vanhook

top 4-kendle, Case, Taylor, Carmichal

125-(5 ranked)

fav- Moody/Henderson

top 4- Griesemeir, Reiker, Montgomery, Wilson, Bryer, Resch, Castro

130- (4 ranked)

fav-Molloy

top 4-Hoehn, Brown, Mangold, Lunsford, Reiker

135-(4 ranked)

fav-Raley

top 4- Reiker, Konrath, Dowdy, Schroeder, Kerr, Heald, Gast, Kriech

140- (6 ranked)

fav-Montgomery/Rueger

top 4- Judy, Boyd, Lannert,

145-(5 ranked)

fav- Weekly

top 4-Farmer, Richey, Helterbrand, Whestine, Chamberlain

152(7 ranked)

fav-Welch

top 4-Lough, Horrocks, Adams, Juliano, Hays, Bowman, Ingram, Marshal, Weinzy, Browner

160-(6 ranked)

fav-Welch

top 4- Sims, Mappes, Rickenbaugh,Holt

171-(6 ranked)

fav-Stein

top 4-Underwood, Warner, Parish, Brandenstien, Warren, Wathen,

189-(5 ranked)

fav- Stevenson

top 4- Boots, Goldman, Sandwith, Hill, Curtley

215-(3 ranked)

fav-Reese

top 4- Bass, Knight, Wright, Pratt, See

285-(4 ranked)

fav- Suter

top 4-Van Winkle, Collett, Emmit, Stevenson

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best Chance for a State Champion out of this Semi-State.  This year is our best odds for a champ in a few years

103 Boomsma #2                                    SQ///8th @103

130 Malloy  #3                                          SQ @119

135 Raley #3                                      2nd at 125 in ?10///SQ at 119 in ?09///1st at 103 in ?08

140 Montgomery #2                            5th at 140 in ?10///SQ at 145 in ?09

140 Reuger #3                                        8th at 135 in ?10///SQ at 125 in ?09

145 Weekly #4                                          SQ at 135 in ?10

152 Welch #1                                            2nd at 145 in ?10///5th at 135 in ?09

160 Welch #1                                            3rd at 152 in ?10///SQ at 140 in ?09///SQ at 135 in ?08

160 Sims #3                                                5th at 145 in ?10///4th at 140 in ?09///6th at 125 in ?08

171 Stein #1                                          1st at 171 in ?10///8th at 152 in ?09

189 Stevenson #2                                    3rd at 189 in ?09

215 Reese #1                                                5th at 160 in ?10

285 Suter #3                                                SQ at 285 in ?10

Toughest Weight Class goes to 171

Other Meat grinding weights are

171 Tier 1

Stein sr. 35-0 (1)                                      Defending State Champ

171 Tier 2

Underwood jr. 29-2 (7)                       lost to Stein 1-6     Pinned Parish and Spicer

Parrish sr. 24-3 (9)                              6th in state last year

Warren jr. 31-7 (14)                             Wins- Wathen 10-6  King 9-6 Brandestien 3-2ot

Wathen jr. 39-2 (18)                            Wins over Brandestien, Oser, Brierly, lost 6-10 to Warren

Brandenstein jr. 30-3 (19)              Wins- Oser, King, Lost to Warren and Wathen

Warner sr. 32-7                                        Upset Underwood in sectionals

Tier 3

Oser sr. 36-5

King jr. 30-8

Haire sr. 34-6

Spicer sr. 39-3

Brierly sr. 32-6

Kahl sr. 22-4

Bowen sr. 33-5

Shepard jr. 36-4

Tucker sr. 27-5                                            lost to Stein 1-9

Just a Note McGaha has lost to Shuler from CE twice this season most recently in the sectional championship match so I believe the kid has a shot @ the top 4 and a 160 no mention of 13# Holt of CN seems pretty foolish especially when he has beat Mappes in a grinder of a match, He also has a relatively easy walk through regional having to get by Fiddler whom he beat twice this season. Fiddler also has a pretty good chance @ the top 4 @ 160.  

boomsma, kuhn, ruble, ???

shroeder, shepard, johns, schoettle

kendle, taylor, welch, case

moody, reiker, henderson, griesemeir

molloy, Hoehn, Reiker, Brown

raley, Konrath, Reiker, Kerr

montgomery, Rueger, judy, boyd

Weekly, Helterbrand, Farmer, Richey

Welch, Horrocks, Lough, Juliano

Welch, Mappes, Rickenbaugh, Sims

Stein, Underwood, Parrish, Warner

Stevenson, Goldman, Boots, Hill

Reese, Knight, Bass, See

Suter, Stevenson, Van Winkle, Collett

It is interesting to see the wide divergence of opinion in these projections.  

Out of the 13 or 14 MD wrestlers most project to make it to semistate, D145H has them sending on 4 (3 thirds, 1 fourth), and all of these would be the "underdog" on friday night.  Thus a third ranked and undefeated MD team boasting 7 wrestlers ranked in the top 16 and 3 in the top 8 would not place a single wrestler and finish with 0 team points.

That's an interesting projection, and it made me wonder if this has happened before. So, I put the question to the board:

Does anyone know of such an "under-perfomance" ever happening before -- not of a single individual being upset, but of an entire team getting wiped out that went into the tournament with elite expectations? 

Yeah I agree with Doggystyle here.  I might be partial but leaving Holt out of the discussion for winning the Semi State might be nice fodder for Gabe to fire up and just plain leaving McGaha off the list at 140 for pushing towards the top is a slip.  I was also scratching my head thinking you didn't put one Rieker in as a favorite.  Kind of wondering  if you have seen those three wrestle this year.  They  have beat, but been beaten by high quality opponents.  Again I am a "homer" but I have seen all those kids wrestle against some of the better competition.

boomsma, kuhn, ruble, ???

shroeder, shepard, johns, schoettle

kendle, taylor, welch, case

moody, reiker, henderson, griesemeir

molloy, Hoehn, Reiker, Brown

raley, Konrath, Reiker, Kerr

montgomery, Rueger, judy, boyd

Weekly, Helterbrand, Farmer, Richey

Welch, Horrocks, Lough, Juliano

Welch, Mappes, Rickenbaugh, Sims

Stein, Underwood, Parrish, Warner

Stevenson, Goldman, Boots, Hill

Reese, Knight, Bass, See

Suter, Stevenson, Van Winkle, Collett

At 112 Pettijohn beat schoettle at sectionals he should make it out and 152 Bowman has beat juliano twice and beat hays in the sectional finals last weekend those and as far as kriech goes he gave raley everything he wanted at sectionals lost 4-2 so those franklin boys will be a very tough out come ticket round!

Yeah I agree with Doggystyle here.  I might be partial but leaving Holt out of the discussion for winning the Semi State might be nice fodder for Gabe to fire up and just plain leaving McGaha off the list at 140 for pushing towards the top is a slip.  I was also scratching my head thinking you didn't put one Rieker in as a favorite.  Kind of wondering  if you have seen those three wrestle this year.  They  have beat, but been beaten by high quality opponents.  Again I am a "homer" but I have seen all those kids wrestle against some of the better competition.

I added Holt to the list, I just overlooked him.  I took Mcgaha off.  I do not beleive Reiker is a fav to win semi state.  I am assuming you mean the one at 135?  Raley is a state champion he is def. the favorite.  125 Baron is tough and has wrestled one heck of a schedule but he has Moody, Henderson, and Gries in front of him.

And no, I haven't watched a single match this year.  I hope to make it back before semi state.  I only went off of rankings and results. 

At 112 Pettijohn beat schoettle at sectionals he should make it out and 152 Bowman has beat juliano twice and beat hays in the sectional finals last weekend those and as far as kriech goes he gave raley everything he wanted at sectionals lost 4-2 so those franklin boys will be a very tough out come ticket round!

I would like to hear more about Kriech giving Raley all he wanted. Can anyone explain the match?

It is interesting to see the wide divergence of opinion in these projections.  

Out of the 13 or 14 MD wrestlers most project to make it to semistate, D145H has them sending on 4 (3 thirds, 1 fourth), and all of these would be the "underdog" on friday night.  Thus a third ranked and undefeated MD team boasting 7 wrestlers ranked in the top 16 and 3 in the top 8 would not place a single wrestler and finish with 0 team points.

That's an interesting projection, and it made me wonder if this has happened before. So, I put the question to the board:

Does anyone know of such an "under-perfomance" ever happening before -- not of a single individual being upset, but of an entire team getting wiped out that went into the tournament with elite expectations? 

In 1999 Mater Dei won team state, but had a very poor showing at Market Square Arena.  They had six wrestlers qualify, but only three actually placed.  With the  highest place winner being 4th. 

This year's Mater Dei team is very solid top to bottom, and while I think they have a legitimae shot at winning state, I don't think they will make a good showing at Conseco.  This is why team state is so important, you can have a number of solid semi-state qualifiers and be better than a team with just a handful of superstars.  Look at Castle, they will do very well in the individual tourney (and could make a run at the coaches trophy), but they have a number of subpar underclassmen preventing them from making a run at the team state.

watchout for  montgomery at 125. he looks good and i expect him getting to conseco

Montgomery is good but he wont beat Wilson at Regionals ... Wilson has pinned everyone he has wrestled for the last 3 weeks including all 3 at sectionals ... the finals match was a pin in 1:05

Reese is the clear favorite.  However Knight or Bass could easily upset him.

Bass looked impressive in a 11-4 win over Mills.  Knight and Bass have a common opponent in See.  Bass won 9-6.

Knight won 4-2 and 8-5. 

Knight finished 39-3 as a Jr. last year and lost to 5th place Wooding in the ticket round. 

Bass was 34-4 going into semi state. not sure who he lost to in semi state.

Before the season started I would have said Knight but now I think Bass has a better shot at beating Reese

Wilson vs. Montgomery will be a very good match...

I understand both sides toughguy and wrastler, Wilson has dominated everyone almost everyone, but Montgomery has been wrestling well. In my opinion, first takedown decides this match.

Also, Bass will give Reese a match but I still think Reese takes it! Hope to see him take the title at 215 at conseco!!

Should be a great match if they end up meeting in semi-state finals. Both are also very good football players as well. But I think Bass gets the nod in football  ;)

I will have to argue with ya on that.  Knight made all MIC that I know of.  Toughest football conference in the midwest. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.