Remembering Dave Schultz

DLane

http://www.themat.com/section.php?section_id=3&page=showarticle&ArticleID=22849

News has spread worldwide that John E. du Pont, who murdered Olympic wrestling champion Dave Schultz, died in prison on Dec. 9 at the age of 72.

At this time, TheMat.com and USA Wrestling, would like to focus our attention on the remarkable life of Dave Schultz, and how he impacted our sport and those who are in the wrestling family

Those that wish to comment on the life of Dave Schultz can do so on a thread on USA Wrestling's message boards linked below.

Remembering Dave Schultz message board

DAVID SCHULTZ, WORLD AND OLYMPIC WRESTLING CHAMPION DIES AT AGE 36

Philadelphia, Jan. 29, 1996

The following is an obituary for David L. Schultz:

David L. Schultz, a devoted husband and father and 1984 Olympic gold medalist, was killed in Newtown Square, Pa., on Friday, January 26. He was 36.

At the time of his death, Mr. Schultz was a wrestling coach for Team Foxcatcher in Newtown Square and a top prospect for the 1996 U.S. Olympic freestyle wrestling team at 163 pounds. He was currently ranked No. 1 in the United States in his weight class. Prior to that, Mr. Schultz was an assistant coach at the Univ. of Wisconsin, Stanford Univ. and the Univ. of Oklahoma.

Five-time World champion Bruce Baumgartner said, ?I have known Dave for almost 15 years, and he is the most unselfish and giving person I have ever met. He was the most devoted father and husband - he loved his kids and family. Obviously, Dave was one of the best technical and strategic wrestlers, and one of the best coaches. I have heard from so many of his students who loved him, from the high school level to the international arena. Dave was always upbeat and positive, with a smile on his face.?

Long-time friend and teammate Ed Giese said, ?Dave was wrestling - he revolutionized the sport. Dave was bigger than life, touching everyone he met in a positive light. My sincere sympathies go out to his family. Dave loved Nancy and the kids with this same passion. I will never forget him or the things that we did together. He was my idol in life, and beyond.?

Throughout his career, Schultz won almost every honor available in the sport of wrestling. His career highlights include 1984 Olympic Champion, 1983 World Champion, three-time World silver medalist, and two-time World Bronze medalist. He was a Goodwill Games champion in 1986, a Pan American Games Champion in 1987, and a World Cup champion four times.

1995 World Champion Kurt Angle said, ?Dave was the godfather of USA Wrestling, contributing as a coach, a leader and an athlete. He cared about everyone, and always put people first, no matter who you were. He even learned six or seven languages so that he could speak to different athletes. I loved him and respected him, and he will be greatly missed.?

Three-time World-level Champion Kevin Jackson said, ?Dave was my wrestling mentor and my hero. He had the greatest technical mind of any wrestler, and his love of wrestling inspired everyone he ever met. He has touched so many lives. I loved Dave, and I am really going to miss him.?

Mr. Schultz has received many honors and awards from the world of wrestling, including Outstanding Freestyle Wrestler at the 1984, 1987, and 1993 U.S. Nationals and the 1981 AAU Nationals. In addition, Mr. Schultz set numerous records. He is first in most Tbilisi Tournament titles with two; second in most World and Olympic Medals with seven; Second in most World Medals with six; tie for second in most World Cup Medals with 7; and tie for fourth in most Freestyle National titles with eight.

Iowa State Coach Bobby Douglas said, ?Dave was the renaissance of wrestling, and we have all lost a great friend. His loyalty to the sport of wrestling, and to his family, his teammates, his colleagues and his students was unmatched. And his enthusiasm for his family was inspiring. American wrestling has lost a great athlete. America has lost a great person.?

James E. Scherr, Executive Director of USA Wrestling said, ?There was literally not a wrestler Dave wasn?t willing to help. He had a profound impact on virtually all of the elite athletes in the U.S. in the last 15 years, as a competitor, coach and friend. He will be irreplaceable among the wrestling community. He touched the lives of thousands of people, all of whom were enriched by his spirit. He shared his love and enthusiasm for wrestling with everybody he met, making friends wherever he travelled. He was loved by wrestling fans here in the United States and all over the world. USA Wrestling wishes to offer condolences to the family and friends of Dave Schultz. We share their grief and sense of loss at this time.?

Mr. Schultz?s widow, Nancy Schultz, said, ?Our family is devastated and saddened by Dave?s death. He was not only a world class athlete, coach and mentor, but a devoted and loving father to our children and husband to me for the past 14 years. Dave will be missed so much by his family, friends and the wrestling community around the world. Dave had a passion for his sport and an enthusiasm for life that was unmatched. Over the past few days, we have heard people across the country and around the globe whose lives Dave has touched. Their kind support, outpouring of love, and fond memories of Dave have helped sustain us during this very difficult time. My family must now turn its focus and energy to my children, Alexander and Danielle who had a very close relationship with their father, and who are struggling to understand how and why this tragedy happened, and how they will possibly fill this void in their lives.?

Mr. Schultz was born on June 6, 1959 in Palo Alto, California. He was a California state high school champion for Palo Alto high school in 1977. Mr. Schultz attended the Univ. of Oklahoma, where he was a NCAA champion in 1982.

Mr. Schultz is survived by his wife, Nancy, and their children Alexander, 9, and Danielle, 6. He is also survived by his father, Philip G. Schultz, a counselor, his mother, Dorothy Jean St. Germain, a clothes designer, and his brothers and sister, Mark, Seanna, and Michael.

Friends and family are invited to the Memorial Service on Sunday, February 11 at 3:00 p.m. to be held at the Palestra Gym at the Univ. of Pennsylvania campus, located on 33rd Street, between Spruce and Walnut, Philadelphia, Pa.

A fund has been established in memory of David Schultz for the welfare of his family. The Schultz family has requested that in lieu of flowers, people contribute to the David Schultz Family Endowment. The address is David Schultz Family Endowment, c/o USA Wrestling, 6155 Lehman Drive, Colorado Springs, CO 80918. Cards and expressions of sympathy may also be directed to the above address.

In Kurt Angle's autobiography he covers his relationship with DuPont, Team Foxcatcher, and Schultz. Some good stories in there.

very good book... was a lot better than what i thought it was going to be... and yes, a lot of time on his relationships with the above mentioned people.

Dave was remarkable.  I personnally had about 15 matches against Dave during AAU freestyle competition while we were both in high school out in California.  Lost all of them.  I considered him a friend through competition and he would always have this smirk on his face when we had a match.  He quite often would offer you his leg and would not make a move until you took it.  Then the fireworks started.  Even in high school he was a very gracious person but always serious about his mat work.  Good people.  Very sad about what happened.

curt

Hopefully, this provides some sort of closure for Dave's family and friends.

Dave was a great guy. He would hit a move and someone would ask how he did that and he would show them. It didn't really matter who it was. The Russians, Bulgarians and Iranians loved him. He learned to speak Russian so he could pick their brains about technique, training and strategy.

I saw him get a standing ovation once for taking 2nd place. 

One year Dave was coaching one of his athlete's at the Sunkist tournament. We had a referee from California who was stone cold deaf. Great guy, decent referee, but couldn't hear anything.  something happened and we tried to get the match stopped and of course the referee couldn't hear us...anyay we finally get the match stopped, get the situation corrected and get ready to start again when Dave come over to the table and the conversation went something like this.

Schultz: "Tom, is that referee deaf?"

Me: "Yes he is Dave, but it's no problem."

Schultz: "Right no problem......hey Tom"

Me: "Yes  Dave?

Schultz:"I knew most of you guys were blind, I didn't realize you were deaf too." And then the smirk Driler spoke about.

It was impossible to get mad at him!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.