class wrestling vs single mat under the light?

navychiefmatt09

After coaching in Washington state for two years, i understand why people like the class wrestling. But i just don't think anything compares to the single mat under the light at market square....or conseco. ...Is it possible for Indiana to make the best of both worlds?

Be prepared for 30 pages...............

Thats why I asked. I have been a part of State both ways. Both ways have pros and cons.

But there is nothing like the single mat under the light.  The Washington High School State Finals are impressive, but trying to watch 5 Championship matches at the same time will drive you nuts.

One match under the lights. By far better than having 3 or 4 different state champs.

I agree. Don't get me wrong... Those guys can wrestle... Washington wrestlers are very good. Derek Garcia proved that. However, there is something fundamentally wrong with seeing 5 podiums at one end of the dome.

I'm also a former WA coach and wrestler now coaching here in Indiana. Obviously one mat and one champion from a that day perspective is far better, but for me that is a poor arguement against class wrestling.  I think anytime you can add numbers of fans and competitors you should do it.  There would be more fans in the stands for a classed state tournament with more total competitors. Thus producing more revenue. As a sport two of our chief concerns should be adding competitors and increasing revenue.

I'm also a former WA coach and wrestler now coaching here in Indiana. Obviously one mat and one champion from a that day perspective is far better, but for me that is a poor arguement against class wrestling.  I think anytime you can add numbers of fans and competitors you should do it.  There would be more fans in the stands for a classed state tournament with more total competitors. Thus producing more revenue. As a sport two of our chief concerns should be adding competitors and increasing revenue.

You mean it's not about finding out who the best is?  The olympics don't have classes?

I am limiting myself to one and done on this thread.

I'm glad you mentioned the Olympics. Many states, Indiana included have become so obsessed with finding out who is best, all the way down to pee wees, that our Olympic wrestling styles, where we do truly see who is best have all but disapeared. Finding out who is best is important, but at what cost to our sport? Should we continue to lose market share to forward thinking sports? While wrestling complained about title nine men's soccer added college programs.  Wrestling's antiquated ideas have cost us countless college programs, and when budget cuts come they will cost us high school wrestling programs.  It will start with small schools and move up the chain. No one will really notice at first because those programs don't get in the spotlight. Adding classes could help change that. Maximizing good press helps! Like it or not it is about money and fan support.

On another note, should there only be Division I wrestling? Should Division II, III, NAIA, JC just fold up because there is someone better at the Division I tournament?

So... you are agreeing to just one match under the lights? your last post confuses me

I like the one match under the lights. One concern is seeing kids with 2 or 3 state titles in multiple class states who may not be as good as the kid from here with a few placings. The Indiana tournament is the most brutal out there in terms of placing. Other states are bringing 32 kids to state and wrestling back from the very first round.

I think that adds some prestige to any placing at the IHSAA State tournament.

There was one thing I really didn't like at the Washington State Championships... Seeing one team with 2 wrestlers in the finals (yeah...some states out there get the JV into the tournament).

Class wrestling would most certainly not put more fans in the stands or generate more money.  Just look at what it did to the fan interest of Indiana basketball.  They can't come close to getting the fan base that they had in the 70s and 80s.  It ruined basketball as well as it would ruin wrestling.  Classing the team, not such a big deal, mess with the individual tournament, and you will lose scores of fans that follow the sport for the love of wrestling.  Sure, parents and relatives will still be in attendance, but thousands of followers will lose interest in the watered down version of 4 different sets of state competitions.  I know I will.  I have been to the Illinois state tournament and can tell you that they put out great wrestlers, but the actual competition is not half as exciting as the environment at the Indiana semi-state and state finals tournaments.  Just one man's opinion.     

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.