Middle School Team State Duals

Coach McCormick

This is a reminder for all middle schools across Indiana of our 2nd Annual Indiana Middle School Team State Duals event which will be held at Yorktown Middle School on Saturday, January 8, 2011.

Last year, Franklin came away as the champions of the inaugaral event.

Currently, we have early commitments from Franklin, Yorktown and Avon for this season's event.

The age requirement has been relaxed for this event.  Please see our ad on Indianamat for the new guidelines which simply state the participants simply need to currently be enrolled in the the 6th - 8th grade to wrestle in this event.

The entry fee is $200 per team which equates to $10 per wrestler for a team of 20 wrestlers.

Weight Classes: 70, 75, 80, 85, 90, 95, 100, 105, 110, 115, 125, 135, 145, 155, 165 and HWT (max 225).

There are also "All State" certificates presented at this event as well as 2 Outstanding Wrestler awards.

For more information or to enter this event, contact Trent McCormick  (Yorktown) at 765-282-9136 or

tmccormick@yorktown.k12.in.us

Current list of teams who are committed to 2011 Indiana Middle School State Duals:

1. Franklin MS (2010 Participant)

2. Avon MS

3. Doe Creek MS (New Palestine)

4. Yorktown MS (2010 Participant)

5. Muncie Wilson MS (2010 Participant)

6. Chesterton MS (2010 Participant)

7. Delta MS

8. Indian Springs MS (Columbia City)

Unfortunatly our MS doesn't show interest in these types of events. My kids would love to have a chance to wrestle here.  I'm sure this is a silly question, but I'll ask anyhow. What are the rules for participation as far as teams go?

We would rather not have 2 middle schools in same district combine kids to make one team.  This would be an unfair advantage over schools that simply have one middle school in their district.  The spirit (and intent) of this event is to have teams made up with the kids attending the same school.  Most every team in last year's event had a few studs, many average wrestlers, some below average wrestlers and a couple of forfeits.  This is your typical middle school line-up.  If we allow 2 or more schools from the same district to combine forces, then this puts single school teams at a distinct disadvantage. 

With that being said, there are unique situations around the state.  For example, Middle School A in Wrestlingville, IN has a middle school team, but Middle School B in the same school district does not sponsor a middle school team but there are kids that go to Middle School B who wrestle.  We would most likely allow the wrestlers from MS B to wrestle on MS A's team at this event given the situation.  If a coach has a unique situation like this, please contact me and we will explore our options.

Coach McCormick

Ok now I a lost (you must affiliated with a school) but if school B does not have a team you can wrestle with team A ??? I would just like for my son to wrestle in a dual setting like he did with club in Ele. Duals. He is still wrestling Club but there are no Club duals for MS. as most kids have the oppertunity to wrestle for school. I am not trying to start anything or stir anything up, just curious.

Thanks

Muncie Wilson will be wrestling in the Middle School Team State Duals again this year.  We had a great experience last year and am looking forward to another great experience this year.

I recommend this tournament to any and all middle schools with the ability to participate in this event.  A great day of competition and a great team atmosphere for the kids.

AJ Bradley

Ok now I a lost (you must affiliated with a school) but if school B does not have a team you can wrestle with team A ??? I would just like for my son to wrestle in a dual setting like he did with club in Ele. Duals. He is still wrestling Club but there are no Club duals for MS. as most kids have the oppertunity to wrestle for school. I am not trying to start anything or stir anything up, just curious.

Thanks

What grade is your son in?  Most of the Ele. Duals allow 6th graders to wrestle.

Sir Havoc,

My recommendation would be to start a wrestling team at your son's charter school.  I would think there would be other kids at his school that might be interested in the sport of wrestling. 

For the short term, your son will have to enter individually formatted wrestling tournaments.

Coach McCormick

Awards for this event include:

1. Top 4 Teams receive trophies.

2. 2nd place team receives award for each wrestler

3. 1st place team receives custom t-shirt for each wrestler

4. Certificates for undefeated wrestlers in each weight class

5. 2 outstanding wrestlers will be voted on by coaches at this event (trophies)

The following is a list of hotels that are located along HWY 332 (locally known as McGalliard Rd.).  These hotels are located on the northwest side of Muncie thereby situating them about 7 minutes north of Yorktown.

Days Inn 765-288-2311

Holiday Inn Express 765-289-4678

Lees Inn 765-282-7557

Signature Inn  765-284-4200

Super 8 Motel 765-286-4333

Hampton Inn (new) 765-288-8500

Comfort Inn  765-587-0294

My recommendation to teams staying overnight for the Middle School State Duals at Yorktown would be to either stay at one of the hotels located on the northwest side of Muncie or stay in one of the hotels along I-69 (Anderson/Chesterfield) if you are coming from the south (about 20 minutes from Yorktown Middle School).  These are the safest areas to stay that are in close proximity to Muncie/Yorktown.

Coach McCormick

In our second year of hosting this event, we hope to grow this event to 12 teams.  We are sitting at 8 teams right now.

Franklin MS, Avon MS, Doe Creek MS, Muncie Wilson MS, Chesterton MS, Delta MS, Indian Springs MS (Columbia City) and Yorktown MS.

We will run the appropriate mat surfaces based on the number of teams that commit to the event.

The event is 12 days away.  Those interested in participating should conact me with your intentions to participate.

Entry fee is $200 per team.  (This equates to $10/wrestler for a team of 20 kids)

Thank you,

Coach McCormick

tmccormick@yorktown.k12.in.us

Why not lose the ISWA, and see how many teams you realy can get. If you do the real math take 20 kids at $30.00 for the ISWA card, then add the $200 entry fee that works out to $800. I'm sure if you would lose the ISWA fee's you would get alot more teams!!

Why not lose the ISWA, and see how many teams you realy can get. If you do the real math take 20 kids at $30.00 for the ISWA card, then add the $200 entry fee that works out to $800. I'm sure if you would lose the ISWA fee's you would get alot more teams!!

I'm sure the ISWA is needed for this event due to insurance concerns.

ISWA cards are not required

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.