Interesting Quote

?You have the top two teams in our class, and two of the top two teams in the state in any class. These teams could compete with most schools in the state."  Scott Kreiger - Head Coach Canterbury Girls Basketball Coach immediately after his team won it's 3rd Class A (small school) state title (quote from today's Fort Wayne Journal Gazette).

We don't know the context from which this quote was taken.  We don't know if he was answering a question or making a statement or both.  However, I find the quote interesting as it sounds like Coach Krieger is a little self-conscious or defensive regarding how his team would stack up against the three larger school state champs. 

That is my thinking too.  I looked at their results from this year and they lost to 3A Elmhurst and 4A Mooresville.  They wouldn't make it out of sectional in a single class system.  Looking at their schedule, they aren't exactly seeking out the best competition either.  Kinda curious why they don't play a very good Luers team or at least some teams that have a better tradition like Garrett in the area.

http://indianagirlsbasketball.homestead.com/files/girlslogs100.htm

Yes, per the IHSAA rules a school can request to be moved up a class(I presume more than one also).  I know a couple 1A football schools have done this, but it is very rare.  The rule also states that you must do it for the whole cycle until the next enrollment figures come in.  So for football it would be two years and other sports are on a four year cycle.

So using football as an example, what would happen if class 2A had a perfect 64 team bracket but a 1A wanted into 2A? Would they bump the smallest 2A school down to 1A, or would they bump the largest 2A school up to 3A?

it was just a hypothetical question..... but if i remember right, a few years ago on the football board they were talking about possibly hitting the 321st football school which could potentially cause a few issues with the current alignment, so I would think that we are getting close to having perfect 64 team brackets in all classes.

I know they are really close to 320, but not sure if the magic number of 321 will be hit soon or not.  I remember people saying a few schools have added or will add football in the next couple years, but after that it was announced a couple schools would not have football anymore either(ex. Anderson Highland).  I doubt you will see any growth in athletics or extracurricular activities for a few years.

I know things are alittle slow on here, but I can't beleive  ;D one, that someone is posting about girls basketball on a wrestling web site and  :-* two, that Y2 is commenting on it also. ???

Mabe this guy the coach you are talking about could get together with Geno Areamo or how ever you spell his name and they could compare what make up they prefer for big games. :o

I know things are alittle slow on here, but I can't beleive   ;D one, that someone is posting about girls basketball on a wrestling web site and   :-* two, that Y2 is commenting on it also. ???

Mabe this guy the coach you are talking about could get together with Geno Areamo or how ever you spell his name and they could compare what make up they prefer for big games. :o

LOL.  I just thought it was another way to start a class discussion on the board.  Y2 is right in that Canterbury would get  drubbed if they went up one class.  However, I think the quote does point out that not only athletes but also some coaches may have an inferiority complex when they win a small school state championship.  No, they aren't going to turn their medals back in so don't post that Y2 ;).  But the question is there.  How good are we really?

LOL.  I just thought it was another way to start a class discussion on the board.  Y2 is right in that Canterbury would get  drubbed if they went up one class.  However, I think the quote does point out that not only athletes but also some coaches may have an inferiority complex when they win a small school state championship.  No, they aren't going to turn their medals back in so don't post that Y2 ;).  But the question is there.  How good are we really?

I would cut the coach some slack.  I would guess his response was from a media question asking how he thought his team might stack up against some of the bigger schools.  He did not say that his team would win, just that they would compete with most of the bigger schools.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.