officials?

Coach Seltzer

How about the slam a good 2 seconds after the whistle?

this looked really bad on the broadcast.  i would want someone who was there to confirm if this slam happened 2 seconds or so after the whistle like it appeard on the broadcast.

this looked really bad on the broadcast.  i would want someone who was there to confirm if this slam happened 2 seconds or so after the whistle like it appeard on the broadcast.

Regardless, it looked like they were clearly out of bounds

Really, the stalling call on Harper with a few seconds left was crazy.

I am for calling more stalling in wrestling, but it should be when stalling is actually occuring.  The disparity between the officials and which ones call stalling and which ones do not call stalling actually impact matches.

I am for calling more stalling in wrestling, but it should be when stalling is actually occuring.  The disparity between the officials and which ones call stalling and which ones do not call stalling actually impact matches.

Agreed.  It just seems like the officials in the finals are hell-bent on calling stalling.

I am not there, but as i count it, through the first 8 matches there were 10 stalling calls on Yorktown and 0 on Mish.  Are the refs calling this quick or is Yorktown being really passive on the mat?  That seems like a huge difference in calls.

I am not there, but as i count it, through the first 8 matches there were 10 stalling calls on Yorktown and 0 on Mish.  Are the refs calling this quick or is Yorktown being really passive on the mat?  That seems like a huge difference in calls.

The difference in aggressiveness is occurring in matches in which Mishawaka is heavily favored, and some warnings/points for stalling were warranted.  However, calls in the Harper and Hiestand matches were pretty ridiculous.

The difference in aggressiveness is occurring in matches in which Mishawaka is heavily favored, and some warnings/points for stalling were warranted.  However, calls in the Harper and Hiestand matches were pretty ridiculous.

I agree.......

if you watched the same hiestand match as i did when i sat in center grove i saw him take 0 shots til the last 20 seconds when he kept getting hit for stalling. i believe 0 shots would constitute stalling if one wrestler is pushing the action. just an opinion though

if you watched the same hiestand match as i did when i sat in center grove i saw him take 0 shots til the last 20 seconds when he kept getting hit for stalling. i believe 0 shots would constitute stalling if one wrestler is pushing the action. just an opinion though

I think you may have a problem with narcolepsy if you saw 0 shots until the last 20 seconds of the match

Regardless, it looked like they were clearly out of bounds

I was there and I really have to disagree. I was on the Mish side so this might be a little biased:

1) I barely heard the whistle and I was about 25 feet away from the "slam." The people around me had no idea the whistle was blown.

2) The out of bounds calls during the entire dual was inconsistent. There were times where one wrestler would have his foot on the line and they would call him out so saying that he was clearly out of bounds seems a excessive. I'm going from memory but it seemed like he "slammed" him on the line.

3) These kids have worked hard all year for this and their adrenaline must have been going through the roof. To assume a kid can stop, mid move (it seemed) and not try and get a crucial takedown is really asking a lot.

Great dual. Congrats to Yorktown on a great season and congrats to the Cavemen for bringing how the big hardware for the second time in three years.

2) The out of bounds calls during the entire dual was inconsistent.

Seems like a lot of people have complained about this so how about teaching the wrestlers to wrestle in the middle of the mat rather  than on the edge. This takes a refs out of bounds call out of the equation.

Seems like a lot of people have complained about this so how about teaching the wrestlers to wrestle in the middle of the mat rather  than on the edge. This takes a refs out of bounds call out of the equation.

I agree. There were a few matches during the finals that we noticed a few of the Yorktown guys wouldn't go inside the center circle. I can't remember the exact matches but if you were to go back and look at the video there were a few.

However, like it or not, edge wrestling is smart (at least under folkstyle rules).  Your opponent shoots, you go out of bounds.  You shoot, you end up at the center of the mat finishing your shot.

Just a couple of things......

Indy sports fan, i agree, consistency is an issue at for the Finals at team state. I have heard the IHSAA requires the use of 4 refs to ref the finals for pay issues. I guess they feel refs should ref an  equal amount of matches if they receive and equal amount of pay. Well, that is ridiculous, because what is more important, fairness of pay to the officials or making the meet fair? I do however propose this. If the IHSAA is going to have 4 refs for the finals, then they should have 2 head officials and 2 asst. officials. Under this format a head official would pair up with an asst. official to make 2 teams of refs. The first team would ref the first match and then the second team would ref the 2nd match and the teams would rotate till the meet is over, but only the head officials would be making the calls. Atleast by doing this we could have some consistency when it comes to out of bounds and stalling calls.

Secondly, adults should not be yealling out tauntings from the stands at the kids. This has nothing to do with "fragile" egos on part of the other teams kids, what it does is show out own kids bad sportsmanship.

So you want change the wrestling rules and procedures instead of asking for consistency in officiating.

I know the job is hard, but the level of difference between officials almost makes it like different officials have different rules.  There will always be a little difference, but I think we have gone beyond a little difference when it comes to officials officiating on the edge of the mat.  And I will say that area is probably the hardest for an official to officiate.

So you want change the wrestling rules and procedures instead of asking for consistency in officiating.

I know the job is hard, but the level of difference between officials almost makes it like different officials have different rules.  There will always be a little difference, but I think we have gone beyond a little difference when it comes to officials officiating on the edge of the mat.  And I will say that area is probably the hardest for an official to officiate.

I would like to see the college rule about out of bounds in HS but that won't happen because of mat and gym sizes in HS but my post said nothing about changing a rule just what we teach our wrestlers. I've seen kids only take shots on the edge of the mat only to be called out of bounds when if that same attempt would be in the middle of the mat it would have been a takedown. Essentially eliminating the refs "horrible" out of bounds call.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.